Rapoport: Hints that Bills Are Likely to Keep Tyrod Taylor

No, it is very far from the only thing that matters.

I get why people only want to talk about the cap hit. It makes Taylor's contract look reasonable.

But the logic isn't even close to reasonable.

When deciding whether to take on a contract, you look at the whole impact. Which includes more than just one year's salary cap hit.

If they keep Tyrod for one year and let him go, the total impact will be the guaranteed total, which is $30.5 mill, and guaranteed money is guaranteed to hit the cap. For one year of Tyrod Taylor. Which is absolute malfeasance and grounds for GM dismissal, so they'd probably keep him for two years, which would mean that $40.75 mill will be guaranteed. For two years of Tyrod Taylor. And one or two years total, those are by far the two likeliest outcomes.

The cap hit is spread out through the course of the contract. Tyrod's contact is very manageable even after year 2: http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/25513/bills-have-unique-flexibility-with-tyrod-taylors-extension

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1BillsFan running up the white flag in January.... The games will be played starting in September not last month. Many things can happen to both our team and those on this list before then.

It's like people never learn.

People were bitching about our 2016 schedule as soon as 2015 ended.... you never know who's good and who's not until the games are played...

You would think those guys are a bunch of Frenchmen with the way they want to surrender before the action has even happened.

One thing you CAN bet on is that next season won't play out exactly as people expect. There will be some teams that are surprisingly better than expected and some surprisingly worse.

If the Bills improve enough on both offense and defense anything is possible.

Sooner or later the Buffalo Bills will have another era of exceptionally good football. And the first year or two of that era - Bills fans will still be doubting it is going to happen. No reason why next year can't be year one of that new era.

To me, Hotrod gets the blame for not getting us in the EZ with 1st and goal at the end of regulation and again in OT in the red area. Same goes for the Seattle game.

I would agree with this as they had moved into scoring territory. You have to score TDs in those situations , and the rules of the game always make it more advantageous to be on offense rather than defense.

To me, Hotrod gets the blame for not getting us in the EZ with 1st and goal at the end of regulation and again in OT in the red area. Same goes for the Seattle game.

I'd put a bit of the blame in the seattle game on Mills. He essentially whiffed on Avril on 3rd and goal from the 8. That play was blown up before it started.

4th and goal from the 15 is probably the hardest play in football - especially when they dont call unnecessary roughness on sherman for decking our receiver in the end zone. Also they interfered with woods on the play.

As for Miami, you're ignoring the ridiculous playcall that led to the missed FG - and then you have Rex punting on 4th and 2 with 4 minutes left in OT... And Carp missed 2 FGs in that game.

Edited by dneveu

It's like people never learn.

People were bitching about our 2016 schedule as soon as 2015 ended.... you never know who's good and who's not until the games are played...

exactly. The AZ game/win looked fantastic at the time. In hindsight....

#1BillsFan running up the white flag in January.... The games will be played starting in September not last month. Many things can happen to both our team and those on this list before then.

Tyrod’s style of play is just not conducive to long term NFL franchise success. To have long term success you need a drop back QB to play pitch and catch with his receivers. His closest “run around” style success story is Russell Wilson (check the list of Superbowl winning QBs and all of them are drop back passers) and that guy showed a knack of making big game winning plays by mid point of his rookie season. Taylor is at 29 game starts and he still hasn’t shown this ability.
So not picking up his option and moving on from Taylor is not running up the white flag, it’s loading up your roster with draft picks and free agency players that will give Jones (and the drafted drop back passing QB they will no doubt bring in within the next two drafts) the best team around them for long term success in a system and style that wins championships.
IMO, this team would be just spinning it’s wheels with Taylor and not truly readying this team for long term success with the classic drop back pitch and catch system using the whole field, WRs, RBs and your TEs. I don’t want my QB to lead the league in QB rushing yards. I want him to throw the ball and win the majority of close games in the fourth quarter.

Tyrod’s style of play is just not conducive to long term NFL franchise success. To have long term success you need a drop back QB to play pitch and catch with his receivers. His closest “run around” style success story is Russell Wilson (check the list of Superbowl winning QBs and all of them are drop back passers) and that guy showed a knack of making big game winning plays by mid point of his rookie season. Taylor is at 29 game starts and he still hasn’t shown this ability.
So not picking up his option and moving on from Taylor is not running up the white flag, it’s loading up your roster with draft picks and free agency players that will give Jones (and the drafted drop back passing QB they will no doubt bring in within the next two drafts) the best team around them for long term success in a system and style that wins championships.
IMO, this team would be just spinning it’s wheels with Taylor and not truly readying this team for long term success with the classic drop back pitch and catch system using the whole field, WRs, RBs and your TEs. I don’t want my QB to lead the league in QB rushing yards. I want him to throw the ball and win the majority of close games in the fourth quarter.

ahh wilson and the myth of his comebacks...down 10-6 in the 4th and he throws a td to win it! when he would throw for 120 yards and do nothing allday with his defense just playing insane ball.

ahh wilson and the myth of his comebacks...down 10-6 in the 4th and he throws a td to win it! when he would throw for 120 yards and do nothing allday with his defense just playing insane ball.

But the point is that Wilson did it. He threw the winning TD pass. He’s done it again and again (13 4qc and 18 gwd). Taylor has had the opportunity to do this a handful of times in his starting career and he’s failed in all but one and in that one he used his legs more than his arm to win the game.
Also, planning on having a defense like Seattle or the 2000 Ravens to win you a championship for the Bills with a QB like Taylor isn’t a plan, it’s a fools game.

Although I'm not a proponent of dumping Hotrod, I do think Foles would be a good choice if we did. He had his big year in a run heavy/safe passing offense which is what I suspect we'll run.

That 2013 Philly offense was one of the great aberrations in NFL history.

Nothing that they did offensively that year really projects........run heavy/safe passing doesn't begin to explain it.

Outplaying Tyrod means more than just throwing better. Any rookie would also have to be able to read NFL defenses. That is asking a lot. If a rookie really out played Taylor I don't think McDermott would hesitate to play him. But the odds are long that would happen.

Agreed and agreed! It would be a good situation to be in too!

Terrible news. Whaley strikes again putting his job security ahead of the team.

Wins him 8 games or so without any chance at real success. Short term thinking.

Say too bad, I got hired as the GM?

Man, do you ever post anything that isnt total nonsense? I have to admit, the best part about this news is getting to watch you melt down over it.

Although I'm not a proponent of dumping Hotrod, I do think Foles would be a good choice if we did. He had his big year in a run heavy/safe passing offense which is what I suspect we'll run.

We wont have a good back up QB as of now...Cardale is not ready. So I don't have an issue bringing in a guy like Foles here. But, man, he was not good as the Rams QB and showed no signs of being a reliable starter. I would have a hard time seeing him beat out Taylor for a chance to start.

However, its never bad to have competition if you see fit, and bringing him in is one thing...but I just don't see him winning the job. He seems like a good backup guy, but not someone I want to depend on.

Man, do you ever post anything that isnt total nonsense? I have to admit, the best part about this news is getting to watch you melt down over it.

We wont have a good back up QB as of now...Cardale is not ready. So I don't have an issue bringing in a guy like Foles here. But, man, he was not good as the Rams QB and showed no signs of being a reliable starter. I would have a hard time seeing him beat out Taylor for a chance to start.

However, its never bad to have competition if you see fit, and bringing him in is one thing...but I just don't see him winning the job. He seems like a good backup guy, but not someone I want to depend on.

he acts like he's the only guy that wants a hall of fame qb. that's the frustrating part. and he's completely convinced if we lose next year we get one at the top pick.

he acts like he's the only guy that wants a hall of fame qb. that's the frustrating part. and he's completely convinced if we lose next year we get one at the top pick.

But it would be hard to lose enough! We'd have to be historically bad to roll the dice at the top of the QB crap shoot. Although it would be a good year to take a QB by most accounts. As noted elsewhere, the best option might be to hope we can trade back from 10 and get an extra #1 next year providing ammo to move up if the right guy is there. That, in my mind, beats cutting or trading every good player trying to tank an entire year.