Rick Dennison new O Coord

Heitz

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's your twitter link. Happy reading. Do people really not read the articles right on the front page here?

Not all. Is that really so hard for you to believe?

What does that have to do with anything?

It has to do with you and a few other clowns that think the local media impacts the scoreboard.

Wawrow just said he could have gotten the info. That's a white glove to your face......now kiss the ring.

thanks for the updates, john, you remain the press room beacon.

Atta boy!

Thanks Mr Wawrow.

I have concerns that Sean might be the new shiny object that melted their proverbial hearts.

But i do not expect to find that to be true. Experience really is a great Teacher, and Pegulas hopefully are the wiser for the Rex hire. And i hope they are remaining thorough in getting the business sorted.
Feeling okay to think so myself.
The New Head Coach has put up an intriguing staff at least.

Love the Offseason !

I honestly mean that. The last 2-4 years have been fairly dramatic in player and Coaching moves.
I mean it s not like the Wannstadt years but hell, keeps me interested.
Looking forward to how it all shakes out !!
G0 Bills :beer:

Edited by 3rdand12

Thanks Mr Wawrow.

I have concerns that Sean might be the new shiny object that melted their proverbial hearts.

But i do not expect to find that to be true. Experience really is a great Teacher, and Pegulas hopefully are the wiser for the Rex hire. And i hope they are remaining thorough in getting the business sorted.

Feeling okay to think so myself.

The New Head Coach has put up an intriguing staff at least.

Love the Offseason !

I honestly mean that. The last 2-4 years have been fairly dramatic in player and Coaching moves.

I mean it s not like the Wannstadt years but hell, keeps me interested.

Looking forward to how it all shakes out !!

G0 Bills :beer:

"Shiny object?"

It has to do with you and a few other clowns that think the local media impacts the scoreboard.

Wawrow just said he could have gotten the info. That's a white glove to your face......now kiss the ring.

Atta boy!

:lol:

Not all. Is that really so hard for you to believe?

Kinda, it's right here, but in retrospect it does make sense.

I want to be optimistic, but these are not exactly positive observations. Here's some more interesting takes on our new OC:

"Q: What can you tell us about Dennison's offensive style? Buffalo led the NFL in rushing the past two years, should we assume we'll see more of that?

It is your classic Mike Shanahan / Gary Kubiak zone blocking scheme. If memory serves me correctly, the Buffalo Bills ran more of a power run scheme the last few seasons. This worries me as the Broncos also were more of a power run team before Kubiak and Dennison came to town. As is evident over the last two seasons, the Broncos running game completely collapsed."

"Q: Over the past two years, Dennison worked with Peyton, Osweiler, Siemian, and Lynch. Did he adjust things for each?

The short answer is not really. Peyton Manning forced Rico and Gary Kubiak to adjust, but every other quarterbacks needed to fit into their scheme. One of Broncos fans biggest complaints in the last two years was a complete lack of creativity and adjustments on offense."

The early "favorite" in a Bills head coaching search never turns out to be the guy.

Just ask coach Hue Jackson. I think he still thinks he's going to be the Bills HC. He's just waiting for the call.

Hmmm , remember when Marvin Lewis was the front runner back in 2001? I can't remember if Marrone was front runner or not though. I seem to recall Ken Whisenhunt being reported as an early favorite.

I agree that Rex might have been a shiny object. They didn't hire another Rex.

This is exactly true.

But did they hire with emotion, or a reactionary thinking from the Rex hire turning sour for them.

Have no doubt i feel quite positive about the new guy so far !

Hmmm , remember when Marvin Lewis was the front runner back in 2001? I can't remember if Marrone was front runner or not though. I seem to recall Ken Whisenhunt being reported as an early favorite.

we got Marrone because of Brandon's Syracuse hook up.

it did sell some tickets

It doesn't help when reporters claim that the head coaching search was a sham because it already settled on Anthony Lynn. So they're going to get criticism.

There is a difference between reporters and gossip columnists; JW is a reporter.

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn02/bills-qampa-break-down-of-bills-offensive-coordinator-rick-dennison-from-denver-20170123

Doesn't call plays as an OC and prefers to fit players into his scheme, rather than scheming to fit the talent on the roster. Full props for making Osweiler look like an NFL QB though.

He also did not seem to closely examine staff under contract before replacing some which I see as a bad sign.

Wasted resources; no the Pegulas are not made of money and there were some good coaches on staff released.

This sounds like this will end well:

"Dennison prefers to fit players into his scheme, rather than scheming to fit the talent on the roster."

Truth is many Coaches and teams do that , including the Patriots. Acquiring the likes of Wes Welker, Julian Edelman , Amendola, Hogan et al. Sound like they are fitting players into their scheme? It's not all bad. You have to know the ingredients in order to make the stew. Fans don't like it because it means an adjustment period. Just keep one scheme in place for awhile and you will A . Get good at it, and B. always know what type of player you need to acquire in FA and the draft.

There is a difference between reporters and gossip columnists; JW is a reporter.

I never said I have a problem with the way jw reported on the Bills, much less during the HC search. But would you call Vic Carucci a "gossip columnist"?

He also did not seem to closely examine staff under contract before replacing some which I see as a bad sign.

Wasted resources; no the Pegulas are not made of money and there were some good coaches on staff released.

I might suggest he had already been looking at the Team structure, and or he had a solid grasp on his plan when he got his shot.

It looks fairly organized to me.

Is Lal still on the staff? David Lee?

One thing that stands out to me , and i will keep this in mind, was retaining Crossman. That will be my barometer.

Truth is many Coaches and teams do that , including the Patriots. Acquiring the likes of Wes Welker, Julian Edelman , Amendola, Hogan et al. Sound like they are fitting players into their scheme? It's not all bad. You have to know the ingredients in order to make the stew. Fans don't like it because it means an adjustment period. Just keep one scheme in place for awhile and you will A . Get good at it, and B. always know what type of player you need to acquire in FA and the draft.

You and I both know, it is a compromise. Thats what good Coaching is. When you are developing a Team you certainly need time to get your guys in place. But the good ones make hay on a cloudy day

Back in 2004 the favorite was Charlie Weiss. However, the word was that Donahoe did not want to wait those extra few weeks (until after the Super Bowl) to officially hire him.

This is exactly true.

But did they hire with emotion, or a reactionary thinking from the Rex hire turning sour for them.

Have no doubt i feel quite positive about the new guy so far !

We'll see. But I haven't heard a bad thing about him from the "experts," FWIW.

This sounds like this will end well:

"Dennison prefers to fit players into his scheme, rather than scheming to fit the talent on the roster."

The Kubiak scheme has been a producer.

Yeah they've been mediocre in Denver the past two seasons but the OL has been in turmoil and the QB's they've had have been bad and/or totally inexperienced.

Dumpster fire wouldn't even begin to explain the takes on the Bills if they had followed up 16 years of losing by starting a second year 6th round pick out of Northwestern at QB like Simien..................but when you have a shiny new Lombardi in the trophy case you can do that.

I actually thought they did fairly well to finish 22nd in scoring considering that they may have had the least talented OL/QB/RB trifecta available to them most weeks in the NFL last season.

If Sammy returns healthy the Bills are better in all areas than Denver except at #2WR.........which hopefully is a priority for them to improve this offseason.

My main concern with uncle Rico at this point is his play calling........will he be insightful and decisive on a down to down basis?

But he'd also be ill advised to not incorporate at least a few aspects of what worked well in Roman's offense into his playbook so I understand the concern.

Real shocker.

Typical Bills hire.

I'd have preferred continuity but sooner or later the offense was going to have to improve in the passing game design.

This offense should give them a more sophisticated and cohesive passing attack.

The Broncos couldn't run the ball last year and had zero depth in the WR corps but they had two 1,000 yard receivers......something we haven't had since Moulds/Peerless combined to do that in 2003......so there is that.

It was a tough year but I really liked what I saw from Tyrod in that finale against Miami......he made a lot of tough "whole field" throws with authority and had some drops and incorrectly run routes that caused a few other on-target throws to fall short.

I think a better designed pass game would help Tyrod should they decide to stick with him.

I like your assessments BADOL. Very well thought out and in depth with the realities of the Denver offense. save for a precious few, most every OC/ staff in the league is criticized by fans and media with buzzwords like " lack of creativity " " predictable" and for not making " adjustments" . The Broncos OLine situation the past couple years has been a far cry from the strength it used to be.

I just hope the running game doesn't fall off a cliff. A better designed passing game with a similar run game to last year sounds good to me.

They say we don't appreciate people till they're gone. My fear is this: we end up appreciating Anthony Lynn a lot next year when we see Dennison struggling to create a running attack that's just as good.

The Bills were #1 in rushing yards and #1 in ypc. Those are impressive stats that will be hard to duplicate in a new scheme.

The Kubiak scheme has been a producer.

Yeah they've been mediocre in Denver the past two seasons but the OL has been in turmoil and the QB's they've had have been bad and/or totally inexperienced.

Dumpster fire wouldn't even begin to explain the takes on the Bills if they had followed up 16 years of losing by starting a second year 6th round pick out of Northwestern at QB like Simien..................but when you have a shiny new Lombardi in the trophy case you can do that.

I actually thought they did fairly well to finish 22nd in scoring considering that they may have had the least talented OL/QB/RB trifecta available to them most weeks in the NFL last season.

If Sammy returns healthy the Bills are better in all areas than Denver except at #2WR.........which hopefully is a priority for them to improve this offseason.

My main concern with uncle Rico at this point is his play calling........will he be insightful and decisive on a down to down basis?

But he'd also be ill advised to not incorporate at least a few aspects of what worked well in Roman's offense into his playbook so I understand the concern.

Good post.

I especially noticed the last sentence. The O line was really strong in the run game and improving at the passing game.

Maybe little change is best on that side of the ball

Fix ST and Defense

They say we don't appreciate people till they're gone. My fear is this: we end up appreciating Anthony Lynn a lot next year when we see Dennison struggling to create a running attack that's just as good.

The Bills were #1 in rushing yards and #1 in ypc. Those are impressive stats that will be hard to duplicate in a new scheme.

Anthony Lynn is not the only coordinator that can produce a top running game. In fact he only assumed OC duties partway through this past season.

I will be fine as long as they tweak, not re- configure.

Add some passing but please do not lose that exciting run game !

Anthony Lynn is not the only coordinator that can produce a top running game. In fact he only assumed OC duties partway through this past season.

well we lost Kromer too.

I worry too much probably

Kinda, it's right here, but in retrospect it does make sense.

I want to be optimistic, but these are not exactly positive observations. Here's some more interesting takes on our new OC:

"Q: What can you tell us about Dennison's offensive style? Buffalo led the NFL in rushing the past two years, should we assume we'll see more of that?

It is your classic Mike Shanahan / Gary Kubiak zone blocking scheme. If memory serves me correctly, the Buffalo Bills ran more of a power run scheme the last few seasons. This worries me as the Broncos also were more of a power run team before Kubiak and Dennison came to town. As is evident over the last two seasons, the Broncos running game completely collapsed."

except, Not So Fast

Broncos 2014 run game [Fox]443 attempts/1785 yds 4.0 YPC (#12 for attempts, #15 for yards

Broncos 2015 run game [Kubiak] 411 attempts/1718 yds 4.2 YPC (#17 for attempts, #17 for yards)

So complete collapse of the run game = 31 fewer attempts (~2 per game), 0.2 yds more per attempt, and downticking 2 spots in run yards?

Does.Not.Compute

Broncos 2016 run game [Kubiak] 410 attempts/1484 yds 3.6 YPC (#15 for attempts, #27 for yards) - looks more plausible for a collapse, except it may have to do with cutting Ronnie Hillman in favor of draftee Devontae Booker then having CJ Anderson go on IR in October.

Real shocker.

Typical Bills hire.

Perhaps better not to swallow uncritically everything you read, without verifying?

One never knows what or who one will get when hiring a guy who has been in the shadows. Maybe what's been seen before, maybe better, maybe not.

except, Not So Fast

Broncos 2014 run game [Fox]443 attempts/1785 yds 4.0 YPC (#12 for attempts, #15 for yards

Broncos 2015 run game [Kubiak] 411 attempts/1718 yds 4.2 YPC (#17 for attempts, #17 for yards)

So complete collapse of the run game = 31 fewer attempts (~2 per game), 0.2 yds more per attempt, and downticking 2 spots in run yards?

Does.Not.Compute

Broncos 2016 run game [Kubiak] 410 attempts/1484 yds 3.6 YPC (#15 for attempts, #27 for yards) - looks more plausible for a collapse, except it may have to do with cutting Ronnie Hillman in favor of draftee Devontae Booker then having CJ Anderson go on IR in October.

Perhaps better not to swallow uncritically everything you read, without verifying?

One never knows what or who one will get when hiring a guy who has been in the shadows. Maybe what's been seen before, maybe better, maybe not.

With the wisdom again ! :thumbsup::beer:

The article seemed spotty.

Right. He was running Romans offense. He said the Offense would look different if it was his offense , but there was no time at that point to install it. So it would have been different anyway. I'd say it would be tough to duplicate #1 in ypc and rushing yds next year because there is nowhere to go but down.

I was initially not sold by the Roman hire but after watching a lot of Niners games more closely, focusing on the blocking and run game I was encouraged.

If I needed any selling on Kubiak's rush offense that was taken care of 3 seasons ago watching the 2014 Ravens run offense that turned journeyman Justin Forsett into a beast.

THAT offense was what I wanted when the Bills were searching for a HC after Marrone quit.......so in terms of scheme history this hire is an easy sell to me.

I look at it this way.......

in Roman's offense a well aged Frank Gore was good for about 4.3-4.4 ypc with maybe the league's most talented OL during his days in SF.

That's not bad production out of an old RB and I'd say the system(with very mobile QB's Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick at QB) added close to .5ypc to his total (he's averaged 3.8 in 500+ carries post Roman).

But the production with Tyrod at QB in this system.....and a less talented OL......the Bills averaged about 5.7 ypc with Karlos Williams and Mike Gillislee over the span of about 250 carries in 2015-2016.

I think in total Tyrod is worth a little better than 1 ypc to a rush offense if used well. That goes for Shady too......he bought in this year and gained about a full 1 ypc higher than his prior two seasons.

I think the system helps a lot and I hope they retain some of that Roman attack..........but I think the QB has proven that he is worth well beyond his own yardage to the Bills run game............. and that impact can be carried on to the new system.

Let's not forget, this is basically the same system that used to turn every Denver RB into a 1,000+ yard rusher when it had a decent OL.

The Shanahan/Kubiak/Alex Gibbs run attack really is as successful of a running system as the league has had in the past 25 years or more.

Dennison as a play caller is the big unknown but the system I feel encouraged about.

Right. He was running Romans offense. He said the Offense would look different if it was his offense , but there was no time at that point to install it. So it would have been different anyway. I'd say it would be tough to duplicate #1 in ypc and rushing yds next year because there is nowhere to go but down.

I'd trade #1 in rushing for a better passing attack.

except, Not So Fast

Does.Not.Compute

I'd say it had even more to do with defenses crowding the LOS vs. a poor Oline and daring Denver's greenhorn QBs to beat them.

couple'a things here.

once McDermott was hired, i stopped checking sources and let the assistant coaching hire process work it's way through, especially once it became evident it wasn't going to be McCoy, who was the only one i made a few cursory calls.

otherwise, i called no one. i asked no one to call me within the Bills or outside.

and there was far too much rabid speculation out there to pinpoint on one person, rather than four or five.

it was a long season and made even longer with yet another coaching search. so once McDermott was hired, a move that was a key priority for me, i moved on.

i needed a break and i'm sure the people I've dealt with needed one, too.

and i'm sure the people i deal with would have pointed me in the right direction.

but at this juncture, there was no real benefit from my end to push them on it.

better to use them for more key moves down the road come March and April.

jw

Any opinions, et al, about the assistant hires?

And another good part is it appears the leaks are gone.

The Jets were also a leaking machine when Rex coached there and it's no coincidence that we had a leaking problem here as well. And just like they did when he left the Jets, the leaks dried up when he left here, too.