The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TPS said:

Yes, let me know how the market takes in what happened last month....

right. because if it is negative it will all be Trumps fault because he has control over the coronavirus. :thumbsup:

36 minutes ago, Foxx said:

right. because if it is negative it will all be Trumps fault because he has control over the coronavirus. :thumbsup:

You guys are very sensitive and defensive about trump.  I've been saying he has minimized its impact on people because he is more concerned about the stock market and economy.  While he closed borders with China, this administration was not aggressive about testing and isolation.  They acted like that one action (closing borders) had it under control.

As for my statement about the economy, it's related to the fact that the virus will impact the economy going forward and the good jobs report was last month--stock investors are forward-looking. 

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

You guys are very sensitive and defensive about trump.  I've been saying he has minimized its impact on people because he is more concerned about the stock market and economy.  While he closed borders with China, this administration was not aggressive about testing and isolation.  They acted like that one action (closing borders) had it under control.

As for my statement about the economy, it's related to the fact that the virus will impact the economy going forward and the good jobs report was last month--stock investors are forward-looking. 

Agree with your statement on the forward impact on economy and jobs and markets.

As for Trump's admin being aggressive, I recall that those that tested positive early and/or re-entered the country with known cases were immediately quarantined in military and other health facilities.  That's pretty aggressive and we continue to do that.  Research on treatment and vaccines started immediately (but won't yield results for many months).  Test kits I read are lagging in supply. 

Maybe screening of those coming into the country could have been more aggressive a week or two sooner, but a lot of prevention at this point comes down to us as individuals and the actions of localized health workers.  Fortunately the proliferation of the virus in the US seems to be at much lower levels than countries who didn't act as swiftly as did we.  It is early though as this will likely go on through 2020. 

The the coronavirus will of course have an affect on the stock market and on the general economy. The concern didn't just start on March 1st though. Trump closed the borders to China in late January, so there's some affect from February. The question is as it pertains to the stock market, when to buy? As soon as investors gain some real faith that things are under control the markets should boom. You attribute Trump's successful battling of the virus to his concern for the stock market and economy and not the well being of our people.  Must be nice to be able to look into a person's heart like that. Your TDS is strong and you are letting that influence your thinking. 

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

He took credit for it, and had nothing really to do with a great economy. So he can handle the blame he is going to get. He deserves it. Being an incompetent blow hard has its draw backs. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You attribute Trump's successful battling of the virus to his concern for the stock market and economy and not the well being of our people.  

TrumpGod.jpg?1540389946

How dare ye insult the God!

Edited by Gary Busey

30 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Agree with your statement on the forward impact on economy and jobs and markets.

As for Trump's admin being aggressive, I recall that those that tested positive early and/or re-entered the country with known cases were immediately quarantined in military and other health facilities.  That's pretty aggressive and we continue to do that.  Research on treatment and vaccines started immediately (but won't yield results for many months).  Test kits I read are lagging in supply. 

Maybe screening of those coming into the country could have been more aggressive a week or two sooner, but a lot of prevention at this point comes down to us as individuals and the actions of localized health workers.  Fortunately the proliferation of the virus in the US seems to be at much lower levels than countries who didn't act as swiftly as did we.  It is early though as this will likely go on through 2020. 

The number of cases is low because we’ve tested so few, but as testing ramps up over the next few weeks the numbers will reflect the reality of the situation. As it accelerates, and more people get hospitalized, we’ll discover that we lack facilities and supplies. We’ll then see another $X billion thrown at it. They are being reactive not proactive. 

5 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

What a bunch of bunk. The Left ripped on Trump for closing our borders to China and you admit now that you can't criticize him for that. OK, can you praise him for his foresight in doing so? Who said they weren't preparing for it here? Do you have any links to support your speculation? You are conflating Trump calling the virus a hoax with what he really said, that all the media and Left's lies are a hoax. You are perpetuating the hoax by pulling shitoutofyourass. Speculation on your part is just further proof of how deep your TDS goes. 

Which is why he should just have Pence comment on it and then read teleprompter speeches from the oval office.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Which is why he should just have Pence comment on it and then read teleprompter speeches from the oval office.

Seriously? The comments Trump made regarding the hoax were after a press conference in which the efforts to fight the virus were spelled out. Nobody but nobody with an ounce of character would indicate that Trump was calling the virus a hoax. Trump isn't going to let liars muzzle him, nor should he. Anyway, the media and dems would mischaracterize Trump regardless of how he disseminated information. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

It's all because Trump is handling the coronavirus in a reasonable and sensible manner, not because he givesashit but because he doesn't want it to hurt the economy and thus hurt his reelection. Can't you guys read his mind? 

No. I need people like TPS to read it for me.

• Haha (+1) 1

Oil crashes by most since 1991 as Saudi Arabia launches price war

Oil prices suffered an historic collapse overnight after Saudi Arabia shocked the market by launching a price war against onetime ally Russia.

US oil prices crashed as much as 34% to a four-year low of $27.34 a barrel as traders brace for Saudi Arabia to flood the market with crude in a bid to recapture market share.

The shock to oil also rattled stock markets, which were already in a panic because of the novel coronavirus outbreak. Market in Asia plunged during Monday trading hours, while US futures recorded massive declines.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/investing/oil-prices-crash-opec-russia-saudi-arabia/index.html

Live updates: Global markets plunge amid coronavirus fears and oil price drop 

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-09-20-intl-hnk/index.html

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/6/2020 at 8:40 AM, Gary Busey said:

Most people on the left did not rip on Trump for closing our borders to China, though. In fact, I don't think anyone ripped Trump for that. I'd like to see an example.

It's a moronic statement by a moron whose head is so far up there it's somewhere between Trump's stomach and large intestine by now.

Shut up Lemmingwinks!

Trading suspended 

Circuit breakers’ designed to protect against panic-selling are likely to kick in today.

With U.S. stocks set to plunge at the open, investors will be watching for key market circuit breakers to kick in and limit or halt the market altogether.

Futures contracts hit “limit down” on Sunday evening after CME-traded stock index futures contracts sank 5%, halting trading below that level and preventing futures from falling any further […]

According to the New York Stock Exchange, a market trading halt may occur at “three circuit breaker thresholds” on the S&P 500 due to large declines and volatility. The exchange classifies this at three levels based on the preceding session’s close in the S&P 500.

Falls of 7%, 13%, and 20% respectively will trigger automatic suspensions of trading. The first two ‘pauses’ will be for 15 minutes each, while the final one would suspend trading for the rest of the day.

That has now happened, with a 15-minute pause.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/09/stock-market-trading-suspended/

Just now, Koko78 said:

Sounds like a good time to get into oil speculation.

I just bought a tanker full of oil at the 50% off table. I might pick up another on red dot Wednesday if things keep going this way. 

On another note Nancy Pelosi just blamed everything on the White House. "The market has no confidence in the White House". She and Hillary are neck and neck for the C U Next Tuesday/2020 award. 

42 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

On another note Nancy Pelosi just blamed everything on the White House. "The market has no confidence in the White House". She and Hillary are neck and neck for the C U Next Tuesday/2020 award. 

I thought the market was happy about Biden winning a state. What happened? They are not happy with Biden anymore?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Boy, just like President Obama, President Biden will be inheriting a mess! Maybe even a bigger mess! 

Tiberius, Chief Cheerleader for a recession. I wonder what's happening in the rest of the world as it pertains to the virus and the market or are these only limited to the U.S.?

2 minutes ago, KRC said:

I thought the market was happy about Biden winning a state. What happened? They are not happy with Biden anymore?

The media was basically calling him mentally challenged since shortly after he got in the race. That's besides the decade long mocking of him for his gaffes, plagiarism and singing gig for The Villages. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The media was basically calling him mentally challenged since shortly after he got in the race. That's besides the decade long mocking of him for his gaffes, plagiarism and singing gig for The Villages. 

Now, it's just a stuttering problem.

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Yes and that narrative worked at the time because not only was Joe old and showing signs of senility - he was also a white male.  A few months ago the leftist media was dying for a "minority" to be the nominee.  Joe was a worthy target then.  Now with them all gone it's time to get on the Joe train.