The Trump Economy

GG

53 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The coronavirus is like manna from heaven for those on the Left. A worldwide calamity is exactly what they needed to have a chance of upsetting Trump.

Oh no, I don't want anyone to get hurt, but if a side effect is the downfall of Trump then there is a good side to it. 

Trump was probably going to lose anyway

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, TPS said:

This no longer about politics, and both sides need to stop. I disagree with your last statement, as a calamity can bolster a leader who leads, instead of politics. As I said, I hope he is up to it...

So far it seems like he's made all the right decisions. I agree that the politics should stop but I have no faith that the dems can stop and Trump can't stop responding. Listen, you are asking a party that has been trying for the last 4 years to oust Trump by any means necessary. With few exceptions they are bereft of character and with that said I expect them to use this virus to gain as much political ground as they can. Could it backfire on them? Yes, but along with good management we're going to need some luck.

2 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

You're insane. Nobody wants a worldwide calamity.

You underestimate the ends justify the means party. 

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oh no, I don't want anyone to get hurt, but if a side effect is the downfall of Trump then there is a good side to it. 

Trump was probably going to lose anyway

This is a good example of what I've been saying. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So far it seems like he's made all the right decisions. I agree that the politics should stop but I have no faith that the dems can stop and Trump can't stop responding. Listen, you are asking a party that has been trying for the last 4 years to oust Trump by any means necessary. With few exceptions they are bereft of character and with that said I expect them to use this virus to gain as much political ground as they can. Could it backfire on them? Yes, but along with good management we're going to need some luck.

You underestimate the ends justify the means party. 

This is a good example of what I've been saying. 

This is really dumb. So if something happens, like say, Benghazi, we are not suppose to discuss the political implications? Ya right. Dumb 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

This is really dumb. So if something happens, like say, Benghazi, we are not suppose to discuss the political implications? Ya right. Dumb 

HAHA Gator, it is easy to see the glee in your words. Yes, once again you are praising the deaths of Americans. You bring up Benghazi as if you weren't guilty of treasonous thoughts over the massacre. I bet in your prior life you pissed on Indian burial grounds. 

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

HAHA Gator, it is easy to see the glee in your words. Yes, once again you are praising the deaths of Americans. You bring up Benghazi as if you weren't guilty of treasonous thoughts over the massacre. I bet in your prior life you pissed on Indian burial grounds. 

You just want to stifle debate when the news is bad for your side, period. 

That is all you are doing. 

Stocks are bouncing up today. To crash again later? 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You just want to stifle debate when the news is bad for your side, period. 

That is all you are doing. 

Stocks are bouncing up today. To crash again later? 

So, you look at the coronavirus as a political opportunity, eh? Just what I said. If you want to know what a person is thinking, just listen. 

Who cares about the economy? We are all gonna die from {checks notes} coronavirus. This is actually a good thing because then none of us will be around when global warming destroys the earth in {checks calendar} 11 years.

@Foxx we really need  that hair on fire gif.  ?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, you look at the coronavirus as a political opportunity, eh? Just what I said. If you want to know what a person is thinking, just listen. 

You guys ran with Benghazi, don't hear you apologizing. Hypocrite 

Just now, CoudyBills said:

That logic is a dud, even for you Tibs.  

Should the media be informing the public of this serious danger or not? Obviously yes. 

Trump is complaining about that literally while victims are dying. 

Look at it this way. Every time one immigrant kills one of the 320 million citizens, its all over Fox news, biggest story, HYPE HYPE HYPE. But go a head and complain about coverage of possible pandemic. You people...

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Should the media be informing the public of this serious danger or not? Obviously yes. 

Trump is complaining about that literally while victims are dying. 

Look at it this way. Every time one immigrant kills one of the 320 million citizens, its all over Fox news, biggest story, HYPE HYPE HYPE. But go a head and complain about coverage of possible pandemic. You people...

Dude, why do you insist on being such an ass?  Is the media fear mongering this possible pandemic?  Yes...you people.  

I mean, you act like my 10 year old.  I expect that from a kid, not someone who claims to be a grown man.  You bum.  

Edited by CoudyBills
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Dude, why do you insist on being such an ass?  Is the media fear mongering this possible pandemic?  Yes...you people.  

I mean, you act like my 10 year old.  I expect that from a kid, not someone who claims to be a grown man.  You bum.  

It's a possible pandemic. Warning people is not fear mongering. You are just so partisan you can't see it. 

You don't think Trump claiming there's a crime wave when crime is down is fear mongering? Of course you don't 

10 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It's a possible pandemic. Warning people is not fear mongering. You are just so partisan you can't see it. 

You don't think Trump claiming there's a crime wave when crime is down is fear mongering? Of course you don't 

Did you wait for a response to the question or did your partisanship get in your way?  You're kind of an angry little fascists aren't you?

Edited by CoudyBills

20 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

as if right on cue...

panic.gif.d4f0fc98d28728b3da608a9b9ce7691b.gif

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Did you wait for a response to the question or did your partisanship get in your way?  You're kind of an angry little fascists aren't you?

Now you've gone and done it. Why the hell would you make Tiberius plural?

29 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol: He has a way with words. 

Some random thoughts: While there is certainly TDS out there, there is also the opposite, whatever you want to call it.  I hope I'm wrong about this...

It won't be such a big deal for younger, healthier people, but for people like me (over 60 with some health issues), the chances of recovering from it if contracted aren't good.  In fact, it's quite possible we will see a "significant impact" on the boomers (and older). 

The market is rallying today because, as I said, the Fed will most likely make a significant rate cut.  But, as I also said, that won't impact the real economic effects from this virus.  In my view, as the virus numbers accelerate, this bit of hope today will disappear into more selling (in fact, it will be interesting to see what happens at the close today....). 

People can blame the media, but this is what the media always does, especially in the era of 24/7 cable news--nothing sells like fear. 

As for Trump, unfortunately I think he's more concerned about the stock market and economy than being as transparent as possible about the situation.  As I mentioned in response to 3rd, I believe leading the country through this thing would offset any negative impact the economy might have on his election.  If he doesn't see that, then he will have to shoulder any blame from not taking it serious enough and not being transparent.    Again, I hope I'm wrong....  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

Some random thoughts: While there is certainly TDS out there, there is also the opposite, whatever you want to call it.  I hope I'm wrong about this...

It won't be such a big deal for younger, healthier people, but for people like me (over 60 with some health issues), the chances of recovering from it if contracted aren't good.  In fact, it's quite possible we will see a "significant impact" on the boomers (and older). 

The market is rallying today because, as I said, the Fed will most likely make a significant rate cut.  But, as I also said, that won't impact the real economic effects from this virus.  In my view, as the virus numbers accelerate, this bit of hope today will disappear into more selling (in fact, it will be interesting to see what happens at the close today....). 

People can blame the media, but this is what the media always does, especially in the era of 24/7 cable news--nothing sells like fear. 

As for Trump, unfortunately I think he's more concerned about the stock market and economy than being as transparent as possible about the situation.  As I mentioned in response to 3rd, I believe leading the country through this thing would offset any negative impact the economy might have on his election.  If he doesn't see that, then he will have to shoulder any blame from not taking it serious enough and not being transparent.    Again, I hope I'm wrong....  

Let's say this situation blows over in a month or so. Will the disruption in factory production, raw material shipments etc. have an impact on the larger economy? Or will it just blow over, too? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TPS said:

You could have cut through the crapcake and just said orangemanbad.

33 minutes ago, TPS said:

I don't get why you think Trump might not pay appropriate attention to this situation. So far it certainly looks like he is. 

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I don't get why you think Trump might not pay appropriate attention to this situation. So far it certainly looks like he is. 

I think This guy tries to provide a mostly objective view of what else should've been done, and why maybe it wasn't...

4 minutes ago, TPS said:

I think This guy tries to provide a mostly objective view of what else should've been done, and why maybe it wasn't...

Seriously? His comments were clearly politically driven. China hid the coronavirus as long as they could and caused the virus to sneak up on the rest of the world. For most healthy people it most likely seemed no worse than a cold or the flu. The question to ask is if once we knew of the virus how did we react?

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Let's say this situation blows over in a month or so. Will the disruption in factory production, raw material shipments etc. have an impact on the larger economy? Or will it just blow over, too? 

Of course it will.  Look at the energy sector, for example.  Any shale drillers that were struggling at prices near $55 will collapse.  There was a bubble in high yield bonds which were also being securitized--there will be pain here as well.  It's hard to say how long the macro impact will last. The short term will mainly be about localized impacts.  As people hunker down, there will need to be temp bailouts of businesses, large and small, to keep them afloat during this time.  And State and local governments of affected areas will need help from the federal government, as sales tax revenues fall.   Again, hopefully it will blow over quickly....

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Seriously? His comments were clearly politically driven. China hid the coronavirus as long as they could and caused the virus to sneak up on the rest of the world. For most healthy people it most likely seemed no worse than a cold or the flu. The question to ask is if once we knew of the virus how did we react?

On your last question, that is the point being made in his thread--they should've also started community testing (as some were arguing) at the time they initiated travel bans and quarantines of those returned.  

On 2/28/2020 at 10:59 AM, keepthefaith said:

Trump and this virus together will cause a significant shift away from Chinese manufacturing.  The first things to be moved should be pharmaceutical manufacturing. We will come out of this a better nation once this virus is behind us. 

Move it all to Mexico. We won't need a wall because there will be plenty of jobs there.  

On 2/28/2020 at 1:25 PM, Tiberius said:

Well, so, you willing to accept more immigrants into the country to fill those jobs in manufacturing? That would be a lot of jobs and we are already short workers 

Factory workers are open to unionization, too! 

See above. 

48 minutes ago, TPS said:

On your last question, that is the point being made in his thread--they should've also started community testing (as some were arguing) at the time they initiated travel bans and quarantines of those returned.  

they have only just, in the past couple days, had the ability to community test.

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, TPS said:

I don't think they had the ability to community test on a large scale until just recently. Those people who argue that were most likely the same people complaining about the travel bans being racist. Face it, no matter what Trump does the Left will find fault. He could cure cancer and they would say he didn't do it soon enough. 

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

I don't think they had the ability to community test on a large scale until just recently. Those people who argue that were most likely the same people complaining about the travel bans being racist. Face it, no matter what Trump does the Left will find fault. He could cure cancer and they would say he didn't do it soon enough. 

No. They opted not to adopt WHO's test for some reason.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/fda-coronavirus-testing.html

“If we had the ability to test earlier, I’m sure we would have identified patients earlier,” said Dr. Jeff Duchin, the health officer for public health in Seattle and King County, Wash., where the first death was reported on Saturday.

Both C.D.C. and the F.D.A. did have the option of adopting the test approved by the W.H.O., and public health experts said it was unclear why the agencies decided not to do so.

“In retrospect, it seems like a bad decision,” said one high-ranking C.D.C. official who requested anonymity and was not authorized to talk to the news media.