The Trump Economy

GG

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Not to get too complicated for you but yes, in a booming economy the lower end wage earners are going to get the largest percentage boost. It's the law of supply and demand, which has nothing to do with minimum wage laws. The market determines wages. When government tries to make the minimum wage higher than what the market is willing to pay then we get robots taking orders in places like Mickey D's or minimum wage earners in Seattle requesting fewer hours so they can still get government benefits.

Yea not making a point about minimum wages.  Just raised an eyebrow at a post seemingly connecting the economy being better for lower income workers (not necessarily true) with voting patterns. 

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Crayola64 said:

Yea not making a point about minimum wages.  Just raised an eyebrow at a post seemingly connecting the economy being better for lower income workers (not necessarily true) with voting patterns. 

One would think that the people who feel the most positive about the economy would be the most supportive of who they believe caused a better economy. My point regarding the various minimum wages was just a subtle poke at TPS regarding his assertion that the better wages were caused by government increases in minimum wages. Typically speaking, TPS as a liberal economics professor, sees the government as a panacea for all economic matters and responds as if he is being paid by the word.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

One would think that the people who feel the most positive about the economy would be the most supportive of who they believe caused a better economy.

Fair point.  But the divide in voting regarding education seems to be well established before trump took office, I think it’s a little misleading to imply the percentage of salary increase has anything to do with it.  It was a very small point of mine lol.

My point regarding the various minimum wages was just a subtle poke at TPS regarding his assertion that the better wages were caused by government increases in minimum wages. Typically speaking, TPS as a liberal economics professor, sees the government as a panacea for all economic matters and responds as if he is being paid by the word.

I figured it has to do with arguments I’m not a part of haha.  It’s something over my head!

Edited by Crayola64

13 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

One would think that the people who feel the most positive about the economy would be the most supportive of who they believe caused a better economy. My point regarding the various minimum wages was just a subtle poke at TPS regarding his assertion that the better wages were caused by government increases in minimum wages. Typically speaking, TPS as a liberal economics professor, sees the government as a panacea for all economic matters and responds as if he is being paid by the word.

there are no useful or honest answer in Economics, just a cluster***** of nonsense

(aside from Uncle Milty and some supply siders...)

1 hour ago, Crayola64 said:

Fair point.  But the divide in voting regarding education seems to be well established before trump took office, I think it’s a little misleading to imply the percentage of salary increase has anything to do with it.  It was a very small point of mine lol.

I figured it has to do with arguments I’m not a part of haha.  It’s something over my head!

There's no doubt that the education level has something to do with political preferences but I would venture to guess that so does the education specifics themselves. I think it's silly to lump in the civil engineer with the person with a women's study liberal arts degree. Then again we can't discount the extra indoctrination time that most secondary education people get.  

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

there are no useful or honest answer in Economics, just a cluster***** of nonsense

(aside from Uncle Milty and some supply siders...)

That's what I like about you row, many people take paragraph after paragraph to say nothing while you can do it in a sentence or two.

Edited by 3rdnlng

4 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

What I stated: "maybe this (minimum wage hikes) explains part of it?"  Not ALL, part.

A Hike in the minimum wage filters up the chain and is one factor influencing all wages since more skilled workers will push for higher wages as a result.  As I've also stated, Trump's deficit stimulus done when the economy is approaching the end of a cycle is a very important factor too.  Both help workers in bargaining for better wages.  

That will be $75 please.

Edited by TPS
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TPS said:

What I stated: "maybe this (minimum wage hikes) explains part of it?"  Not ALL, part.

A Hike in the minimum wage filters up the chain and is one factor influencing all wages since more skilled workers will push for higher wages as a result.  As I've also stated, Trump's deficit stimulus done when the economy is approaching the end of a cycle is a very important factor too.  Both help workers in bargaining for better wages.  

That will be $75 please.

It took you 7 hours to put that explanation together?

Edited by 3rdnlng

This is hilarious, Andrew Cuomo complaining of revenue dip due to the Trump tax reforms and mentioning the rich leaving. 

https://nypost.com/2019/02/04/cuomo-announces-income-tax-revenues-have-dropped-by-2-3b/

Welcome to the club, NY.  Illinois I believe leads the nation in people leaving.

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

This is hilarious, Andrew Cuomo complaining of revenue dip due to the Trump tax reforms and mentioning the rich leaving. 

https://nypost.com/2019/02/04/cuomo-announces-income-tax-revenues-have-dropped-by-2-3b/

Welcome to the club, NY.  Illinois I believe leads the nation in people leaving.

So, if you keep increasing taxes on the rich, they move elsewhere? Who knew that this would happen? I'm shocked!!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, KRC said:

So, if you keep increasing taxes on the rich, they move elsewhere? Who knew that this would happen? I'm shocked!!

all economics discussions are BS, unless you are paid at least $100,000 to get involved

Just now, KRC said:

Yeah what's that old joke about the 4 guys that go to a bar for beer every day and the richest among them picks up most of the tab until one day the rich guy decides he's done with that leaving the other 3 outraged how much they each now have to pay?

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, TPS said:

That will be $75 please.

Doesn't that just lead to inflation?

49 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I get around, er  so  to speak. I see help wanted signs on all kinds of retail and fast food. Entry level jobs are paying $1.35 an hour more than minimum wage in NYS. The raising of the minimum wage rate is not what raised wages for the lower paid workers.

59 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

It depends on a few factors, like market competition for one.  Firms with pricing power (concentrated markets) can pass costs along; firms in competitive markets can't. For those without market power, there's an incentive to mechanize--the essence of capitalism, tech change and rising productivity over time. Because of this, prices will rise less than the wage. 

14 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I get around, er  so  to speak. I see help wanted signs on all kinds of retail and fast food. Entry level jobs are paying $1.35 an hour more than minimum wage in NYS. The raising of the minimum wage rate is not what raised wages for the lower paid workers.

It puts a floor on wages offered.  The current min wage outside of NYC is $11.10. 

37 minutes ago, TPS said:

It depends on a few factors, like market competition for one.  Firms with pricing power (concentrated markets) can pass costs along; firms in competitive markets can't. For those without market power, there's an incentive to mechanize--the essence of capitalism, tech change and rising productivity over time. Because of this, prices will rise less than the wage. 

It puts a floor on wages offered.  The current min wage outside of NYC is $11.10. 

It must have gone up from the list you posted on the previous page here.