Carucci: Lynn is having 2nd Thoughts about Bills' HC Job

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt if Lynn is telling Doug today that he's having second thoughts.

I heard Lynn started the interview with this. "Doug, your press conference sucked. You implied I lied. I put a curse on you and your future offspring."

Doug said: "How'd the interview with the niners go?"

Lynn said: "Have I mentioned how much I love the Bills"

Edited by JoeF

Again, we're really talking about a couple of days. The season ended on Sunday, and this story was out there at the crack of down EST today. Which means it came down yesterday. They're gonna take a day or so to decide on a list after the season ends. They may also have taken some time to evaluate the Bills on Sunday too. Neither you nor I know, and neither of us should speak with authority on the matter.

While I agree on the last sentence, I'll bet that Sexton and Lynn knew long before yesterday, and most importantly, the "second thoughts" (non)story, that he wasn't getting an interview. It also didn't seem to be reported elsewhere, these second thoughts, that I saw. Only Vic's "hearing around the league," which he apparently admitted didn't mean football people it meant media people.

Vic is right about one thing: If they hire Lynn today after interviewing one other person that isn't much of a search.

Not that it really matters. Either he succeeds or he doesn't. Whether you interview 10 other people or 0 other people, all that matters is the W/L record.

I would be a little shocked that the team didn't do a real search, but if Whaley feels that strongly about Lynn then hey, it's his career as a GM. Let him pick his guy and let the chips fall where they may. I don't have a good feeling about next season but I'll talk myself into getting excited and hope for the best.

Vic is right about one thing: If they hire Lynn today after interviewing one other person that isn't much of a search.

Not that it really matters. Either he succeeds or he doesn't. Whether you interview 10 other people or 0 other people, all that matters is the W/L record.

I would be a little shocked that the team didn't do a real search, but if Whaley feels that strongly about Lynn then hey, it's his career as a GM. Let him pick his guy and let the chips fall where they may. I don't have a good feeling about next season but I'll talk myself into getting excited and hope for the best.

Just around training camp we'll all be like RG3 was a great pickup!!!! Did you see him in pre-season?!!?

True. The Bills, rather obviously, would say Lynn was in very high demand and if we didn't lock him up this early we could have lost him to all of these other bidders, regardless of the veracity of that claim.

That last paragraph sums up well my entire life as a Bills fan. Cheers!

Neither you nor I know, and neither of us should speak with authority on the matter.

Nor by the looks of it did Vic. He heard a half-baked rumour and repeated it because in modern media being first is seen as being more important than being right.

None of which is intended to say the Bills job is the most attractive opening or a highly sought after position. I can believe that the Bills are a tire fire and that Vic was throwing **** at the wall at the same time.

The way Vic plays both sides is hilarious.

I'm hearing Lynn has taken himself out of the Bills job because "dysfunctional" and "embarrassing"!

The next day...

I wouldn't be surprised if this "search" is over after Lynn's interview today.

The guy is such a hack.

Just to clarify things on behalf of Vic: all he said was that Lynn was a shoe-in, who didn't want the job and will now probably take it. I mean, if that definite-doubtful-probable timeline is not consistent I don't know what is. :D

:lol:

He's right either way. What a brilliant strategy by a journalist.

The way Vic plays both sides is hilarious.

I'm hearing Lynn has taken himself out of the Bills job because "dysfunctional" and "embarrassing"!

The next day...

I wouldn't be surprised if this "search" is over after Lynn's interview today.

The guy is such a hack.

:lol:

He's right either way. What a brilliant strategy by a journalist.

Vic was once one of the best, most objective Bills reporters with good sources, and seemed in touch with what most fans REALLY wanted to know about.

Unfortunately that ship has sailed... Not sure what changed. It's more sad than funny.

Vic was once one of the best, most objective Bills reporters with good sources, and seemed in touch with what most fans REALLY wanted to know about.

Unfortunately that ship has sailed... Not sure what changed. It's more sad than funny.

I don't think much has changed, actually. He has been tight with Polian forever, and Polian used to be the Bills GM. He no longer is now, yet he's still tight with him. Seems reasonably clear to me.

How many HC job offers have Chudzinski and Pettine received so far? Jim Schwartz? Eric Mangini? Jim Tomsula?

Shall we go on?

Mangini did get a second shot - the Jets and the Browns.

But to Simon's point (which I do agree with) the counter is Ray Horton. Ray Horton was a hot minority candidate for a couple of years when he was DC in Arizona and was rumoured to have interviewed well and have a decent staff lined up. But when Whiz was thrown out of Arizona and Horton didn't get a HC job a bad season as DC in Cleveland finished Horton off as a candidate - he hasn't sniffed an interview since. Now I am not implying he turned a job down but how quickly a minority candidate falls off the HC interview circuit is a lesson to Lynn not to be too picky... his window is now.

i agree

Mangini did get a second shot - the Jets and the Browns.

But to Simon's point (which I do agree with) the counter is Ray Horton. Ray Horton was a hot minority candidate for a couple of years when he was DC in Arizona and was rumoured to have interviewed well and have a decent staff lined up. But when Whiz was thrown out of Arizona and Horton didn't get a HC job a bad season as DC in Cleveland finished Horton off as a candidate - he hasn't sniffed an interview since. Now I am not implying he turned a job down but how quickly a minority candidate falls off the HC interview circuit is a lesson to Lynn not to be too picky... his window is now.

Brian Schottenheimer can relate to this story as well.

Bottom line is that if you want to attach a racial angle to the story, feel free. But the reality is usually far more nuanced, and usually tied to the coach's track record. After all Jim Caldwell got rehired even after going 2-14 in Indy because he redeemed himself in Baltimore. Ray Horton, OTOH has presided over pretty bad defenses since his star shined in the desert.

Brian Schottenheimer can relate to this story as well.

Bottom line is that if you want to attach a racial angle to the story, feel free. But the reality is usually far more nuanced, and usually tied to the coach's track record. After all Jim Caldwell got rehired even after going 2-14 in Indy because he redeemed himself in Baltimore. Ray Horton, OTOH has presided over pretty bad defenses since his star shined in the desert.

Yep, true. I do think generally it is a little harder for minority candidates but it is true for anyone if you stop producing you fall out of the running quickly.