Carucci: Lynn is having 2nd Thoughts about Bills' HC Job

Lynn interviewed with San Francisco today.

I thought he said he wouldn't be the first black applicant for a HC position. He understandably doesn't want to just be a Rooney Rule guy. The article states he was the first candidate of any color to interview to be Chip Kelly's replacement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/49ers-interview-anthony-lynn-coaching-job-220038038--nfl.html;_ylt=A0LEVjHOj21Yk5gAHVQPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

He clarified what he meant. He wasn't going to go be interviewed for the job just to be the Rooney Rule candidate. These agents know when a guy is a serious candidate for a job or a long shot or a RR interview. He didn't mean that he would never be the first black guy.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He clarified what he meant. He wasn't going to go be interviewed for the job just to be the Rooney Rule candidate. These agents know when a guy is a serious candidate for a job or a long shot or a RR interview. He didn't mean that he would never be the first black guy.

in addition to that, this is the second time he has interviewed with them. They interviewed him last year too.

I still think Buffalo is by far Lynn's best shot at being a Head Coach next year. He isn't even a lock to get an OC job if he isn't a Head Coach.

If he withdraws his name from this job he likely goes back to being a running backs coach in 2017.

I feel the same.

I do not think he is a top candidate for any other job, regardless of getting a few interviews again.

He's only a fit here because of continuity, IMO, and I'd prefer him just back as OC but I feel that's less likely.

I want he and Whaley to sink or swim.......and if they sink.....start from scratch next January.

I feel the same.

I do not think he is a top candidate for any other job, regardless of getting a few interviews again.

He's only a fit here because of continuity, IMO, and I'd prefer him just back as OC but I feel that's less likely.

I want he and Whaley to sink or swim.......and if they sink.....start from scratch next January.

If he gets no HC'ing offers, he'd be a fool to turn down being OC again under a new Bills HC. That being said, I don't think he'd be a great loss.

Edited by Doc

I usually agree with your takes, and am fairly race sensitive myself, but I cant agree with this. Hue Jackson anyone? Lovie Smith? Romeo Crennel is still highly regarded and was made interim with the Chiefs. Not many other examples, because frankly, this situation hasnt happened much. But good coaches with decent systems will get jobs, regardless of race.

Racism, or even lack of opportunity, in the coaching circles isnt nearly as bad as it was not too far back.

Simon said if he failed. Smith got to the super bowl in his first gig. Jackson did the near-impossible in getting the raiders to 8-8. And crennell actually did the impossible in getting the browns to 10-6.

If he gets no HC'ing offers, he'd be a fool to turn down being OC again under a new Bills HC. That being said, I don't think he'd be a great loss.

I didn't say he'd just turn it down.

I just don't expect him to be asked back by a different HC.

First time coaching candidates don't come to the interview without already having a staff in mind. :lol:

Coughlin might be the exception.

That has nothing to do with my point.

IMO......Whaley MUST win this year.

He's saved his skin for now........but "7-9....not good enough" was intended by him to be the title of his PC.........so it most likely won't be good enough next year either.

And when GM's go........coaches usually go RIGHT behind them.

I don't think the Pegula's will make the mistake of picking the coach again.........it will be a complete re-boot with a GM coming in with a coach he already feels a philosophical alignment with.

Win NOW is fair amount of pressure for a first time HC introducing two new systems into a lockerroom that has been characterized as having a lot of unaccountable, obstinate players and deeply ingrained losing culture.

I pretty much HATE that list of candidates for this job................they really don't know what they are walking into if they take this job and don't realize how precarious it is.

Lynn is the pretty obvious choice and as I've said I think the Pegula's will see it that way and Whaley may have to take it and like it one last time.

It's possible for that's the case. I tend to doubt it though unless a "czar" is brought in. If not I think Whaley and coach have a longer rope. Unless they go totally in the tank, like 3 or four wins.

I usually agree with your takes, and am fairly race sensitive myself, but I cant agree with this. Hue Jackson anyone? Lovie Smith? Romeo Crennel is still highly regarded and was made interim with the Chiefs. Not many other examples, because frankly, this situation hasnt happened much. But good coaches with decent systems will get jobs, regardless of race.

Racism, or even lack of opportunity, in the coaching circles isnt nearly as bad as it was not too far back.

Of all the firings and hirings in the NFL that take place every year, the fact that you can only come up with two examples of a brother who got a second chance while us crackers are regularly getting 2nd and 3rd opportunities every single year only supports my theory that if Lynn doesn't succeed he's not likely to get another shot.

Apologies for linking to ESPN (which is so bad I no longer even have it bookmarked) but here is a well-researched article from last offseason about how minority hires have reverted to what they were 20 yeas ago. It's an interesting article worth checking out, imo.

The Rooney Rule in Reverse

P.S. Before any of you hyper-sensitive politicos try making hay out of this, I just want to clarify that I am speculating as to why Lynn in particular might be moving very cautiously right now. If anybody wants to debate the merits of the Rooney Rule or the state of minority hiring, please feel free to start another thread where folks can go into in more depth instead of hijacking this one.

Edited by Simon

Of all the firings and hirings in the NFL that take place every year, the fact that you can only come up with two examples of a brother who got a second chance while us crackers are regularly getting 2nd and 3rd opportunities every single year only supports my theory that if Lynn doesn't succeed he's not likely to get another shot.

Apologies for linking to ESPN (which is so bad I no longer even have it bookmarked) but here is a well-researched article from last offseason about how minority hires have reverted to what they were 20 yeas ago. It's an interesting article worth checking out, imo.

The Rooney Rule in Reverse

P.S. Before any of you hyper-sensitive politicos try making hay out of this, I just want to clarify that I am speculating as to why Lynn in particular might be moving very cautiously right now. If anybody wants to debate the merits of the Rooney Rule or the state of minority hiring, please feel free to start another thread where folks can go into in more depth instead of hijacking this one.

How many HC job offers have Chudzinski and Pettine received so far? Jim Schwartz? Eric Mangini? Jim Tomsula?

Shall we go on?

Vic Carucci‏ @viccarucci

Won't be a shock if the #Bills end HC "search" today after interviewing Anthony Lynn.

:doh:

What Vic decided to leave out of his earlier post about Lynn reconsidering, was that the entire transcript of Lynn talking to himself and having second thoughts was, "Should I take this Bills job? Should I really take this Bills job? HELL YES!"

Not sure why everyone is ripping on Vic here. Once it became clear that Lynn wasn't going to get a chance elsewhere (the Broncos aren't interviewing him), the choice, if there is one, becomes a singular one. Lynn presumably didn't know that 3 days ago ...

It's not clear because he interviewed in SF and has other interviews coming up beyond today.

Not sure why everyone is ripping on Vic here. Once it became clear that Lynn wasn't going to get a chance elsewhere (the Broncos aren't interviewing him), the choice, if there is one, becomes a singular one. Lynn presumably didn't know that 3 days ago ...

Well apparently neither did Carucci who tweeted ALynn had 5 interviews lined up and was having 2nd thoughts about the Bills. 24 hours later the story takes a 180.

has he been declined already for the Rams, 49ers and Jags? He's interviewing with three teams in addition to the Bills.

Vic Carucci‏ @viccarucci

Won't be a shock if the #Bills end HC "search" today after interviewing Anthony Lynn.

:doh:

so they will cancel the interview they have scheduled for Saturday with Harold Goodwin? Does Vic even pay attention?