Carucci: Lynn is having 2nd Thoughts about Bills' HC Job

Yeah, I can understand why people question that call but I don't think it really turned up the heat on Rex's goose. I think the goose-cooker was the 10 men on field.

If you're going to wuss out in OT with the season on the line when a tie game will eliminate your team, the least you can do is have the proper amount of players on the field after the change of possession with only 4 minutes to go with only 1 timeout in your pocket. That was atrocious. I have a feeling Whaley was behind the 10 men on the field in an effort to sabotage Rex. :rolleyes:

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. I am a bit baffled why Lynn would be considered a hot head coach commodity given that he has only been a coordinator for part of this year and he has been associated with Rex during Rex's unproductive period.

2. Not playing TT was such an obvious and smart decision, I have trouble seeing why anyone had a problem with it. It clearly made business sense, and even from TT's standpoint he had a very good game against the Dolphins and the Jets game could only have hurt him unless he suffered a serious injury that would result in his failure to pass a physical.

3. There are only a relatively small number of really functional NFL franchises, the ones that consistently are in the playoffs. The remaining 24 or so all have various problems that keep them from competing at a high level on a consistent basis. The Bills clearly have issues, although certainly not at the level of the Browns, Rams, 49ers or Jaguars. Let the dust settle before declaring the Bills DOA for next season. Ryan wasn't going to lead them anywhere, so it's not like they gave up the playoffs next year by firing him.

Ironically, I agree with you completely.

I have pointed out a couple times that Chan Gailey's decision to bench Fitz and look at Brian Brohm in 2010 was probably equally a "business decision", but caused no kerfluffle - in all likelihood, Nix proposed it to Gailey privately, Gailey did as requested, and no one in the press made anything of it. Next year Fitz stayed and Brohm was gone, which wasn't a good thing for the long-haul QB situation but clearly reflected the correct talent evaluation.

The only reason the Taylor thing is an issue is 1) the press "leaks" which claim the Bills have already decided against picking up his option, which has the press interpreting the decision as a "lack of faith" or "moving on" despite repeated statements from the Bills that that decision has not been made and that the benching was a "business decision" to look at the other QB.

If you're going to wuss out in OT with the season on the line when a tie game will eliminate your team, the least you can do is have the proper amount of players on the field after the change of possession with only 4 minutes to go with only 1 timeout in your pocket. That was atrocious. I have a feeling Whaley was behind the 10 men on the field in an effort to sabotage Rex. :rolleyes:

I just want to know why Rex would even think that his "D was going to hold them" like he said in his pressure

What had they done all game long that would even make you think that?

He has an evil twin. While the real Doug Whaley sat next to Pegula in the press box blocking Peg's view so he couldn't see how great Rex's D was playing, Whales evil twin snuck down to the Bills bench and conked Gilmore with a bottle of Genny Creme.

I just want to know why Rex would even think that his "D was going to hold them" like he said in his pressure

What had they done all game long that would even make you think that?

Let's see. The offense had put up a team record 589 yards to that point while the D had been chewed up all day long by the Dolphins' run game. Hmmmm??? What to do???? Let's bet on the D!

Let's see. The offense had put up a team record 589 yards to that point while the D had been chewed up all day long by the Dolphins' run game. Hmmmm??? What to do???? Let's bet on the D!

Gase made that bet after his defense gave up even more yards than the Bills did and without knowing if he would get the ball back.

P.S. The Bills defense stopped the Dolphins on the previous drive.

I've always respected Carucci as a senior member of the Bills journalist community.

But lately, in this age of twitter, he seems to be pulling news stories out of his tuchis.

Maybe my memory is bad, but I thought once upon a time he used to do real reporting with real sources.

Nowadays, he just seems to repeat what he's read on the internet or heard from an uninformed source (like a fellow media guy who likewise knows nothing and is only speculating).

Yeah, I can understand why people question that call but I don't think it really turned up the heat on Rex's goose. I think the goose-cooker was the 10 men on field.

Yep. Not that this doesn't happen to other teams from time to time. But the timing was horrible and might have been the proverbial straw.

Gase made that bet after his defense gave up even more yards than the Bills did and without knowing if he would get the ball back.

P.S. The Bills defense stopped the Dolphins on the previous drive.

Gase's scenario and the associated considerations were far different from that of Rex and the Bills.

Rex was coaching not to lose, so he lost.

You go for it there and miss you almost certainly lose. You punt you might lose.

I get why he did it, but if it doesn't work out people would criticize him all the same.

Results are all that matter, really. If it works it's genius, if not it's dumb.

Gase's scenario and the associated considerations were far different from that of Rex and the Bills.

Not if he wanted to control his own destiny . . . .

It is amazing how some of the Rex Haters on this board and in the media are so myopic and quick to claim that Rex's decision was insane . . . yet they forgot or conveniently failed to mention that Gase made the same decision on the preceding drive even though his defense gave up MORE yards, he punted from OUR end, he did not know whether he would get the ball back, and the Dolphins needed the win at the time to control their own destiny (unless they got help from other teams the next day and/or they beat the Pats the next week).

Not if he wanted to control his own destiny . . . .

It is amazing how some of the Rex Haters on this board and in the media are so myopic and quick to claim that Rex's decision was insane . . . yet they forgot or conveniently failed to mention that Gase made the same decision on the preceding drive even though his defense gave up MORE yards, he punted from OUR end, he did not know whether he would get the ball back, and the Dolphins needed the win at the time to control their own destiny (unless they got help from other teams the next day and/or they beat the Pats the next week).

Am I a Rex hater? Nope. I had an open mind about him, but I had just seen enough after two years of failure and excuses. He's gone and I'm glad.

If I had to guess, I'd say Shanahan and Toub aren't interested.

That would be my guess. But I'd like to find out if the Bills even attempted to interview them. If they got turned down, that is a VERY bad sign.

Also, why are we not interviewing Coughlin?!? At least he has 2 SB rings and could bring coordinators, as well as teach the Pegula's how to run an NFL team.

Edited by RyanC883