Carucci: Lynn is having 2nd Thoughts about Bills' HC Job

You really like that uninspired list of coaches they are interviewing?

Harold Goodwin - AZ Cards OC 4 years, 2 years of playoffs, last 2 years #6 and #2 offense on points.

Sean McDermott - Eagles DC 2 years (playoffs both years), Panthers DC 6 years (playoffs incl SB 3 years)

Vance Joseph - 1 year DC with Miami. Less impressed myself, but he's the latest "hot ticket" with reportedly interviews with the 49ers and Chargers on the docket

Frank Reich - experience as OC with 2 different teams. Knows something about dealing with egos from his years on the SB Bills. The Brandon "PR Splash" choice IMHO, but should know how to coach a QB.

not on list yet, but reportedly being considered:

Teryl Austin - secondary coach with the Ravens during 2012 SB, 3 years DC with Lions and playoffs 2 of those years

I think these are solid guys who have seen what it takes to coach a successful NFL team. I would be happy with most of them, depending upon the coordinators

I did not find Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone, or Rex Ryan inspiring choices.

I guess that begs the question what coaches would be inspiring to you?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looks good to me

I wouldn't hate him as the new HC, but I also would not be in love with the choice just because of his last stint as HC didn't go very well. But our D is the biggest issue, so wouldn't be against us hiring him by any means. Lets just say I would be cautiously optimistic.

Ah, the lawyerly response. I Said the SUBSTANCE of it. And he was effing right.

YEP

In fact, it proves there wasn't. Because he included Doug, didn't he?

The constant chatter since last year was that there were issues between Doug and Rex........as in Doug not agreeing with Rex........as in Doug showing distance from Rex's decisions.

You think Doug has another TWO losing seasons in him?

I sure don't.

I couldn't disagree more and in fact think just the opposite. Hiring a Reich, McDermott, Joseph, Goodwin, or Richard would be a MUCH bigger gamble. Because not only are you hiring an unknown entity but you'll have to blow up the best offense we've had in well over a decade.

Lynn is the smart choice. I'll be extremely disappointed if he's not this team's head coach in 2017.

The thing is, Wayne, they're not considering Lynn as OC. So he needs to bring in at least a titular OC, and we've seen some pretty poor results from guys who try to both HC and coordinate one side of the ball.

I wouldn't hate him as the new HC, but I also would not be in love with the choice just because of his last stint as HC didn't go very well. But our D is the biggest issue, so wouldn't be against us hiring him by any means. Lets just say I would be cautiously optimistic.

2nd times a charm.

and it's not that he was al bad there.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

That's bull ****. Just because Rex got fired doesn't AT ALL, in any way show there was an ultimatum. That's just nonsense Dave.

Yeah, I agree - though more nicely. Just because Rex was fired doesn't mean there was an ultimatum.

Terry says there was no ultimatum. I have no reason to think Terry is a liar. And I think he would have more knowledge of the situation than Vic.

Vic - like Sully - seems not to have developed many, if any, sources inside OBD. Pretty much everything Vic says is either speculation or stuff he reads on the internet.

I miss Larry Felser who once wrote intelligently about the Bills for BN and did often have good sources.

YEP

The constant chatter since last year was that there were issues between Doug and Rex........as in Doug not agreeing with Rex........as in Doug showing distance from Rex's decisions.

You think Doug has another TWO losing seasons in him?

I sure don't.

No. I don't. I think he needs to win quick. I was responding to Dave say Vic was right when he said Rex was given an ultimatum. But Vic said Rex and Whaley were given an ultimatum in the same sentence. And obviously with Whaley remaining, that wasn't true.

I couldn't disagree more and in fact think just the opposite. Hiring a Reich, McDermott, Joseph, Goodwin, or Richard would be a MUCH bigger gamble. Because not only are you hiring an unknown entity but you'll have to blow up the best offense we've had in well over a decade.

Lynn is the smart choice. I'll be extremely disappointed if he's not this team's head coach in 2017.

Fair points, and I understand why you feel that way. But for me, none of that means he is ready to manage a team, a roster, a game clock, game situations, etc. He has been a RB coach until this year where he was a partial season OC. While I definitely think he did a very good job overall as OC, some things that concerned me is the poor choices he made with the season on the line in key games down the stretch. Then his week as interim HC didn't do anything to help his cause. I wouldn't say it ruined his case by any means, but it definitely did him no favors.

One thing I always find interesting is that people harp on the HC all season long about all things they don't do right on and off the field...but when it comes time to choose a new coach, they grossly over look how much responsibility that person will have and ignore the lack of experience handling it or previous failures at handling it (regarding coaching retreads). Im just not sold Lynn is ready for that yet, just my personal opinion.

Frank Reich for the win!! Sells tickets as well versus lynn

I don't buy into every grasp at years past, but for some reason I would really want the interview to happen. Yes, the buffalo history is nice, but I'm more intrigued by a former back up QB as a HC. He was a qb coach more or less to Kelly his whole career. I associate the life long backups as more often masters of the mental game, but weak on the athleticism and arm talent.

Add in some leadership and an incredible work ethic and desire to win et voila, the makings of a good head coach. ( I don't know if he possesses any of this, but it would be interesting to find out)

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

The thing is, Wayne, they're not considering Lynn as OC. So he needs to bring in at least a titular OC, and we've seen some pretty poor results from guys who try to both HC and coordinate one side of the ball.

But it would be the same system foundation with the same players (including the quarterback). Lynn wouldn't have to be the OC or play-caller.

No. I don't. I think he needs to win quick. I was responding to Dave say Vic was right when he said Rex was given an ultimatum. But Vic said Rex and Whaley were given an ultimatum in the same sentence. And obviously with Whaley remaining, that wasn't true.

As I said, the SUBSTANCE of it. Focus on the lawyerly particulars if you want, but this franchise for better or worse was effectively blown up in the past 10 days--a franchise that would may well have crawled to 8-8 if they played their one competent qb in week 17.