MMQB Article: "Same Old Bills"

Good piece.

It is a good piece -- pretty fair, and none of the sniping we see from The Buffalo News.

It's possible Whaley does have a blueprint and is finally being allowed to execute on it. We'll soon see. I also don't think the Pegulas sent Whaley out to "explain" Rex's firing -- but that's all the media wanted to cover. Whaley is to blame for not being more prepared for the onslaught.

What did the Pegulas send Whaley out there to do, if not answer the most obvious question?

Anyway, good piece. Really painted the picture of how much disarray there is. Also, claiming Whaley had absolutely no idea that Pegula was going to let Rex go after their weekly group call (where Rex asked to speak to Pegula "one on one") last week is more OBD spin. What did Whaley think Rex was going to ask Pegula after Whaley and Pegula just told Rex they were benching TT? He knew what the outcome of that call was going to be.

This is all vaudeville stuff.

It is a good piece -- pretty fair, and none of the sniping we see from The Buffalo News.

It's possible Whaley does have a blueprint and is finally being allowed to execute on it. We'll soon see. I also don't think the Pegulas sent Whaley out to "explain" Rex's firing -- but that's all the media wanted to cover. Whaley is to blame for not being more prepared for the onslaught.

I don't understand why Whaley didn't in advance prepare better responses to questions that were obviously going to be asked. Maybe it's simply he is not good at speaking publicly under duress. More often being too guarded when responding to questions makes one look foolish to the point of being ignorant instead of being more candid (not totally) and revealing.

There is nothing magical about having a successful blueprint for success in the NFL. More often than not the basic element for success has to do with the caliber of qb taking the snaps. It seems to me that this team on offense is designed to be a good running team not because it is the best recipe for success but it is the best approach to take when your qbing is inadequate.

What the Rex hire illustrates in spades is that a bad coaching hire not only hinders a team but it sets the franchise back. This constant changing to fix what has been done is like being on treadmill where there is a lot of motion but in the end you are not getting anywhere.

Pretty simple.

It's a mess.

What isn't mentioned is the state of the roster that the next HC gets.

Old.

The 2 young building blocks on the team.....really the ONLY long-term-viable ones.....Sammy and Dareus........are talented but troubled.

Or the deeply ingrained losing culture.

This isn't going to be a comfy 3 year gig........if "7-9 was not good enough" with Taylor at QB then not so sure 4-12 is going to get it done with Cardale or (insert rookie) at QB.

People thinking a franchise QB like Romo/Rivers/Brees is going to sign off on coming to Buffalo are deluding themselves more than a bit.

What did the Pegulas send Whaley out there to do, if not answer the most obvious question?

Anyway, good piece. Really painted the picture of how much disarray there is. Also, claiming Whaley had absolutely no idea that Pegula was going to let Rex go after their weekly group call (where Rex asked to speak to Pegula "one on one") last week is more OBD spin. What did Whaley think Rex was going to ask Pegula after Whaley and Pegula just told Rex they were benching TT? He knew what the outcome of that call was going to be.

This is all vaudeville stuff.

Your timeline is all wrong.

They are mostly fair, but I think they are drawing the wrong conclusions.

PFF just published an article about why it's a smart play to keep Taylor and build around him. Unless someone wants to really wants to commit to tank mode, the logical choice is to keep him. Benching him was a logical way to protect their investment in a meaningless game.

This is still a mostly intact roster from the 2014 season, with Darby at least equivalent to McKelvin. We have seen some good signs from Douz and Washington. Get a DC who can use the Dareus and Kyle/Washington combination, and you have a decent young LB group. Just pick up a safety in FA and draft one in the first 3 rounds and I think you are back on track.

This isn't a "burn it down" place, it's a retool and restock.

So why did Whaley and Pegula both lie then?

To protect the owners from opening up the narrative of how much of a mistake it was to hire Rex in the first place. Because THEY hired him, not Whaley.

Edited by Lex Lyon

Geez, this really does make me feel like Pegula et. al. haven't a clue.....Please please please Terry - hire someone to run football operations and leave that person alone....

I think that is the adjustment you are seeing... Pegs leaving Whaley to do the football thing. I think pegs may have learned from getting burned by Rex.