MMQB Article: "Same Old Bills"

To protect the owners from opening up the narrative of how much of a mistake it was to hire Rex in the first place. Because THEY hired him, not Whaley.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Rex was a Brandon/Pegula hire all the way, and Whales played along as a good soldier and tried to make it work. He wasn't going to hang his bosses out to dry in front of the Buffalo news hounds yesterday -- although he definitely should have prepared a better statement.

This is actual journalism. I didn't know Rex had made that promise to Tyrod. Imagine that, someone made some calls and actually pieced together what happened.

Overall, I agree that it's a pretty good piece by Vrentas.

Here's the snag for me:

"According to multiple people with knowledge of the conversation, Ryan, Pegula and Whaley had had their standard weekly conversation last Tuesday. , That’s when Ryan learned of the organization’s decision to bench Taylor"

OK, this is a weekly private conversation between Ryan, Whaley, and Pegula. Just who are these "multiple people with knowledge of the conversation"?

Maybe her source is Rex Ryan, and he wants to be anonymous. Otherwise, it just struck me as fishy. What the h*ll, is OBD loaded with people who bug the conference room or listen with a Dixie cup pressed to the door?

Or did Ryan and Whaley routinely hold their conferences in the center of a cube farm?

Then there's "Ryan had made a promise to Taylor, telling him that he’d be the Bills starting quarterback as long as Ryan was the coach. Ryan didn’t want to break his word, and he was worried how the team would respond."

Again, I think this is fishy. The HC can't tell his QB, "look, you're still The Man, you had a fantastic game last week, we don't want to risk injuring you more for a game where we're out of the playoffs, and Whales and his guys want to get a look-see at the depth guys?" Ryan knows darn well that Taylor has an injured groin, he's been on the injury report and getting treatment since Week 12. The coach can't bring himself to make a decision to bench an injured guy for valid business reasons "because I made you a promise". For an NFL football coach, that's incredibly lame.

Then she brings up the "It seems highly unlikely that Taylor will play in Buffalo next season". Whaley says that will be decided with the new HC, which seems logical. FWIW, Chenelly, who seems to know someone, says it hasn't been decided. It just seems like a re-hash of the La Conjecture reports on Taylor, and making far too big a deal out of benching the starter (dealing with a persistent but playable) injury, going into a meaningless game.

Other than that, good piece.

Ummm...what?

Not sure what's your point of confusion? I can fill in some extra words if that helps.

Vrentas claims that it's unlikely that Taylor will play in Buffalo next season (which is La Conjecture's assertion based on "deep throat")

Whaley says that (whether or not Taylor will play in Buffalo next season) will be decided with (the input of) the new HC, which seems logical.

Other sources (Chenelly, who seems reliable; I believe now Pegula has said this) confirm what Whaley has said.

This is the most important part of the article and it concerns me the most:

"After the events of last week and especially after Whaley’s press conference on Monday, it’s never been more obvious that the Bills—who haven’t been to the postseason since the end of the 1999 season and have finished above .500 only twice over the past 17 seasons—need an organizational plan, a blueprint, of how they will seek to become a winning franchise. They’ve shown no indications that they have one."

Edited by Fadingpain