AP John Wawrow interview with Terry Pegula

Reed83HOF

How do you NOT tell your GM you are going to fire the coach????

When the coach asks you point blank during a private conversation and you're put on the spot?

...The timeline isn't really that difficult to follow.

No no no..

You say....I'm going to sit down with Doug and we'll discuss.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two reasons. One he works for a national publication not a local paper. Two, and more importantly, he works for the Associated Press. He's a reporter only, so he goes by the old fashioned rules of straight reporting. His job is not to offer opinions in his articles, just to report facts and attribute quotes. The TBN guys and Rochester guys and others offer their opinions as well as report stories.

Ugh! And I was hoping it was because he comes from Kanuckistan and hopped over our border trying to subvert the status quo, which is to say, he's a tool of the Illuminati and going forward we're all going to be having cereal for every meal and actually liking it.

Peoples gots to give Pegs a bit of space here. Dey's learnin'.

Nice - Jw is the one Pegs goes to for interviews. Clearly respects him.

Well yeah.

Because JW doesn't write opinion pieces.......he only reports.

I've said this a few times now but i think some of you out of towners don't realize that the local teams boxing out the media just does more harm to the teams by creating disinterest.

I always will love Terry and Kim and be grateful for saving the NFL in Buffalo and contributing to the Buffalo renaissance.

Having said that, I think they are getting bad advice from Doug Whaley and listened to the whispers of the wrong guy while watching games in the box.

Rex ruined a good defense, even a blind man could see that. Is your real name Rob Ryan, or something?

I always will love Terry and Kim and be grateful for saving the NFL in Buffalo and contributing to the Buffalo renaissance.

Having said that, I think they are getting bad advice from Doug Whaley and listened to the whispers of the wrong guy while watching games in the box.

they are watching the games. If you are too... how can they ignore what is taking place?

I can totally see this being a move that will make future coaching or front office jobs in Buffalo attractive. But hey....Kim is so nice to all the players.

Every potential coach worth the price of admission knows that Rex has sucked for a long time now and probably understands the brand new owners falling for the hype. I don't think getting rid of a poor coach like Rex is going to scare anyone away.

No no no.. You say....I'm going to sit down with Doug and we'll discuss.

Why would he sit down with Doug? Rex didn't report to Doug. He reported to Terry and just made the decision a week earlier because Rex forced the question on him.

Well yeah.

I've said this a few times now but i think some of you out of towners don't realize that the local teams boxing out the media just does more harm to the teams by creating disinterest.

That's a stretch.

The local media doesn't dictate interest anymore, and hasn't done so since the internet.

Well yeah.

so you lose interest in the Bills because the Pegula's won't talk to Jerry Sullivan?

I'm with you on the first part, for sure. On the rest, at least now Whaley has enough rope to hang himself, no more excuses. I hope he ends up in the HOF for what he does next. Time will tell.....

"(Whaley) had input on the basis of conversations throughout the year, what the problems were," Pegula said. "But did Doug ever say, 'Are we firing our coach, are we keeping our coach?' We never had that conversation. I took it upon myself to tell Rex on the basis of conversations about the games and the aftermath of certain games that, hey, things aren't going well."

----Spur of the moment decision made by owner who's inner circle did not include his GM

He's so in over his head.

Rex ruined a good defense, even a blind man could see that. Is your real name Rob Ryan, or something?

We disagree and I am not blind.

I posted the other day a comparison of how Rex's defense did against common opponents of the Eagles whose defensive coordinator (according to some here) invented defense. I also mentioned that PFF rates the Eagles' starting defenders as slightly superior to the Bills defenders.

I did this not to diss Schwartz but to provide context and blunt this narrative that others have had. It is hard to get a defense to perform up to its capabilities when key guys are injured or suspended etc.

Just my two cents.

"(Whaley) had input on the basis of conversations throughout the year, what the problems were," Pegula said. "But did Doug ever say, 'Are we firing our coach, are we keeping our coach?' We never had that conversation. I took it upon myself to tell Rex on the basis of conversations about the games and the aftermath of certain games that, hey, things aren't going well."

----Spur of the moment decision made by owner who's inner circle did not include his GM

He's so in over his head.

That's not what I take from it at all.

Because Rex brought it up to Terry in private. Just like the article said.

And just like Whaley said early on in the presser. As I said, that was the most interesting aspect of the entire pc. It suggested a ton of things that were being discussed at the weekly conference and what may have led Ryan to request to go off line and speak to Pegula privately.

I had heard from others in attendance that Pegs was not happy with what he saw while watching the Miami game; openly questioning things and I gotta believe that couldn't have been the first time. Fits with what Pegula said about season long discussions, too.

I'm with you on the first part, for sure. On the rest, at least now Whaley has enough rope to hang himself, no more excuses. I hope he ends up in the HOF for what he does next. Time will tell.....

I hope so too and hope that i am wrong.

they are watching the games. If you are too... how can they ignore what is taking place?

Sadly, I am. I am even a season ticket holder that lives in Miami.

For your answer, see my other posts. In short, I do not believe that less than two years is enough time to fairly evaluate a guy especially with all of the injuries, depth of injuries, suspensions, and QB play. My view.