AP John Wawrow interview with Terry Pegula

Reed83HOF

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is telling information here. Pegulas took the meetings through the year with Whaley and made a decision on the fly to summarize his thoughts and fire a HC 1 week left in the year without informing the GM. Terry is the Owner and the President and doesn't need to communicate to his subjects. He then listens to the man he is firing and promotes OC Lynn for interim HC. They have a briefing with Whaley after that and in 1 session lay this out to Lynn who then throw him out on the Podium to answer to the media. NO PROBLEM!

Pretty logical. :lol:

No he didn't! He got fired in New York because he created a dysfunctional mess. It wasn't Idzik's fault in New York (though nobody is going to argue he was good but he was hired to sort out a cap mess that signings Rex pushed for had created - sound familiar?) and it isn't Whaley's fault here.

Rex Ryan is not a good Head Football Coach. He is the only man in the history of the league to inherit winning teams in BOTH of his first 2 stops and he turned that into only two winning seasons and an overall losing record over 8 years. He is what his record says he is - a below average loser of a Head Coach.

God forbid that the Bills and GMDW treat whoever our new coach may be the way Rex was treated by Idzik and Whaley.

As for your last paragraph, I can turn it around and say that he took a job that was essentially a grave yard for NFL head coaches and was the most successful HC for that dysfunctional franchise in the past 17 years notwithstanding injuries, suspensions, and bottom half QB play. He was only given 31 games. Even the Chargers gave McCoy a full four years even though he had a lesser winning percentage with Philip Rivers.

COYG

Injuries aside, there was just so much going wrong with the defense that was clearly a coaching issue. If your defense fields only 10 guys multiple times, something is wrong with coaching. that mistake shouldn't happen at all, and if it happens more than once, that is definitely coaching. Those mistakes shouldn't be happening with you are closing out the 2nd season in this system

The last time was because of concussion protocol. Unfortunately, this happens and, as we saw, it happened to Mike Tomlin when we played Pittsburgh. It should not have happened, but I dare say that somebody on the medical staff or among the defensive back coaches did not make sure that the information flowed up.

Edited by Peter

this is too awesome our awesome paper can't get an interview. Ole Sully, Bucky, Vic, Jay, Tim all passing around congrats on twitter like they took apart Whaley. Meanwhile actual reporters contact Pegula. TBN caught with their pants down again. These guys are a joke that no other paper would hire which is why they are still here.

They are brutal, childish and unprofessional and are finding out Terry Pegula doesn't have to put up with amature hour. I love it The Buffalo News missing the bus AGAIN. Time to write another axe grinding article no one under 65 reads

:lol: Harrington chimed in on twitter to say how proud he was of his comrades.

:lol: Harrington chimed in on twitter to say how proud he was of his comrades.

On this we can agree.

The TBN guys are a freaking joke. They love a good circle jerk on twitter.

As I have said, no one circles the wagons like the Buffalo media - in particular the guys over at TBN

There is telling information here. Pegulas took the meetings through the year with Whaley and made a decision on the fly to summarize his thoughts and fire a HC 1 week left in the year without informing the GM. Terry is the Owner and the President and doesn't need to communicate to his subjects. He then listens to the man he is firing and promotes OC Lynn for interim HC. They have a briefing with Whaley after that and in 1 session lay this out to Lynn who then throw him out on the Podium to answer to the media. NO PROBLEM!

Or,

Pegula had decided to fire Rex and was waiting until the end of the season to do so, ideally after they sat down and gone over what went wrong during the year. But Rex wanted to have a side conversation about his status with Pegula after the Monday briefing. Because. you know, Clemson has a big game on Saturday and the Bills have a small game on Sunday. I'm guessing it was at that moment Terry decided that he probably shouldn't wait and they agreed to part ways. After that call, Pegula told Whaley that Rex is gone.

Nice - Jw is the one Pegs goes to for interviews. Clearly respects him.

They know he will pitch only softballs...underhand.

Anyway, it should be clear that Whaley has the Pegulas on a string and that he whispered to to them that it was Rex who had to go. But it was very gracious (and meaningless) for Doug to say "it's on me".

Or,

Pegula had decided to fire Rex and was waiting until the end of the season to do so, ideally after they sat down and gone over what went wrong during the year. But Rex wanted to have a side conversation about his status with Pegula after the Monday briefing. Because. you know, Clemson has a big game on Saturday and the Bills have a small game on Sunday. I'm guessing it was at that moment Terry decided that he probably shouldn't wait and they agreed to part ways. After that call, Pegula told Whaley that Rex is gone.

i think that's exactly what happened. Whaley didn't need to ask why. He already knew. He sat next to Pegula for 31 straight games.

They know he will pitch only softballs...underhand.

Anyway, it should be clear that Whaley has the Pegulas on a string and that he whispered to to them that it was Rex who had to go. But it was very gracious (and meaningless) for Doug to say "it's on me".

LOL. Whaley whispered to him something the entire football world knew and Terry fell for it hook, line and sinker?

Or,

I think that's what happened with the additional conversation of Terry saying we're starting EJ because of the contract and Rex saying I play to win.

LOL. Whaley whispered to him something the entire football world knew and Terry fell for it hook, line and sinker?

I think that's what happened with the additional conversation of Terry saying we're starting EJ because of the contract and Rex saying I play to win.

He convinced them that Rex was the right guy for the Bills 2 years ago, so...yes. Of course.

How do you NOT tell your GM you are going to fire the coach????

I read that Rex asked to speak to Mr. Pegula alone, without Whaley, after a three-way conversation. Rex then asked if Mr. Pegula was going to fire him after the season or keep him on. In the press conference, Whaley said that kind of decision would usually be made after the season ending reviews. Since Mr. Pegula had already made up his mind after the Oakland game and before having that season ending review, Mr. Pegula did what Rex wanted and told him then. Someone said, perhaps Rex wanted to see the Clemson game. Who knows. The point is that Mr. Pegula would have waited, discussed it with Rex, Whaley (and maybe Brandon, too) and then fired Rex. He didn't tell Whaley he was going to do it because he was responding, like a man, to Rex's question.

There seems to be a lot of fans here that don't think the owner should be involved at all in making this sort of decision. I just don't think that is reasonable. Terry and Kim Pegula paid over a billion dollars for the Buffalo Bills.

How do you whisper something everyone already knows?

That is a witty line. I doubt that anyone who may be an HC candidate will appreciate it though if he has other options (or unless he is overpaid).

As for what we know, we know that the former coach got less than two years while the GMS was "whispering" to the owner.

We know that someone was "whispering" to Jason LaCanfora and it was leaked that Rex would be fired literally moments before the biggest game of the year to that point. That has to be great for the team morale and the coach's authority.

We know that Rex's defense performed better against common opponents than Schwartz's defense even though PFF rates the Eagles starting defenders higher than the Bills starting defenders.

We also know the highest paid player on the team (and the guy who is supposed to be the best) missed multiple games through injury and suspension. We know the heart and soul of the defense (Kyle) missed multiple games these past two years. Same for Aaron Williams etc.

Pegula's conclusions were pretty obvious after 31 games with no defensive improvement. Rex got what he wanted in terms of players and coaching staff without any improved results. Next!

The telling statement was his last one on Tyrod:

Maybe he can win more games than that, I don't know. But when the other side of the ball's not performing, it's hard to outscore people."

Perfectly put. At least they know that they have a problem. It starts with recognizing that we have a problem. Any incoming QB is going to keep Tyrod, because there is none better out there in the market unless you can lure a Tony Romo here.