AP John Wawrow interview with Terry Pegula

Reed83HOF

Ryan @royster1215

this is really needed, did pegula initiate this conversation?

John Wawrow @john_wawrow 4h4 hours ago

I texted. He called.

Mark Scott @WBFOMarkScott

Congrats to John Wawrow for landing this exclusive. Fans needed to hear from Pegula.

Agree. Fans needed to hear from him.

Scott McInnis @esfd283

good article. Did you happen to ask him about the constant leaks out of OBD?

Sorry, no.

Dan Foley @foleyloaded93

nice article. nice of them to come out and talk. Fans felt left in the dark of what was going on. Don't blame them for waiting

You're absolutely right. Terry needed to speak.

Dick Rambone @JDFose11

did you get any vibe after the talk with Pegula that Whaley could still get gassed as GM?

None.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's gone and deservedly so. Next!

Rex is gone. Unfortunately, Doug is still with the Bills. Doug, you, and others can celebrate. It is going to get worse before it gets better. Firing Rex and its aftermath have gone so well so far . . . .

Jay Ajayi averaged 99.75 yards in 12 games starting with the Titans. (Titans are when he started taking over the backfield)

Jay Ajayi averaged 77.7 yards in 10 games starting with the Titans. (excluding the 2 Bills games.)

The Bills run defense accounts for a 22.05 yard per game swing in his per game average and 35% of his total rushing yards this season. (again starting with the Titans when he started getting a full workload.)

Jay Ajayi is a good player, but we made him look like freaking Le'Veon Bell out there. (who also ran for 200 yards on us)

Sorry buddy, but the Buffalo News is in its death throes and is trying to remain relevant through "journalism" worthy of a youtube comment section. At least they get you guys riled up.

Dolphins,not titans

Jay Ajayi averaged 99.75 yards in 12 games starting with the Titans. (Titans are when he started taking over the backfield)

Jay Ajayi averaged 77.7 yards in 10 games starting with the Titans. (excluding the 2 Bills games.)

The Bills run defense accounts for a 22.05 yard per game swing in his per game average and 35% of his total rushing yards this season. (again starting with the Titans when he started getting a full workload.)

Jay Ajayi is a good player, but we made him look like freaking Le'Veon Bell out there. (who also ran for 200 yards on us)

Sorry buddy, but the Buffalo News is in its death throes and is trying to remain relevant through "journalism" worthy of a youtube comment section. At least they get you guys riled up.

Indeed . . . and despite all of that, Rex's defense did better against common opponents with players that PFF rated lower than Schwartz's defense did.

Rex is gone. Unfortunately, Doug is still with the Bills. Doug, you, and others can celebrate. It is going to get worse before it gets better. Firing Rex and its aftermath have gone so well so far . . . .

Guess we'll see now. One meaningless game and an end of season presser. Who cares?!?

Guess we'll see now. One meaningless game and an end of season presser. Who cares?!?

i suspect potential candidates care about how the guy before was treated, the circumstances, and the current GM's role in that and going forward.

Awww. Poor Rex Ryan. The man who overpromised and underdelivered Next!

That must be why this has been so well received by the national media and the league.

Let's hope you are correct that anyone who is in demand and has options is not concerned about this. I suspect we will end up with a HC who is not particularly in demand and is simply beholden to Whaley for giving him a chance to be an NFL coach (unless we overpay).

Right now, it appears that the best we can hope for is Anthony Lynn . . . who ironically was chosen by Rex.

That must be why this has been so well received by the national media and the league.

Let's hope you are correct that anyone who is in demand and has options is not concerned about this. I suspect we will end up with a HC who is not particularly in demand and is simply beholden to Whaley for giving him a chance to be an NFL coach (unless we overpay).

Right now, it appears that the best we can hope for is Anthony Lynn . . . who ironically was chosen by Rex.

They have at least four candidates lined up beyond Lynn. It seems to me based upon that you're incorrect.

They have at least four candidates lined up beyond Lynn. It seems to me based upon that you're incorrect.

So? Big deal. We can have any number of candidates. Are they any good or in demand? The question is if we are competing with another team, how does that candidate look at this job versus the other one or ones.

Take Rex out of the equation. If you are a candidate for the job and the prior guy (Coach McCoachy) was fired in less than two years even though he was the most successful coach in the prior 17 for that team notwithstanding injuries etc, it would at a minimum cause concern. Guys like Bedard already have written about this.

If you knew that there leaks to the media minutes before the most important game of the season, it would cause concern - understandably.

If you watched the press conference today, Doug Whaley would not inspire leadership or confidence both as the GM or someone who is going to have the candidate's back with ownership. Understandably.

Edited by Peter

Context:

Rex's defense was better against common opponents than Schwartz's defense even with all of the injuries/suspensions and even though PFF rates the Eagles's starters higher than the Bills' defensive starters.

As far as I know, Rex was not there on Sunday and that was the biggest cluster f*&k I have seen. It looks like Rex was keeping it all together.

Pittsburgh had Jay Ajayi run for 200 yards against them the week before the Bills and had problems with the wrong number of players on the field against the Bills . . . .

In the end, less than two years is not enough, and I would like to see how he could have done without the injuries, suspensions, whispering campaigns, and leaks to the media minutes before a game . . . .

The week two disaster against the Jets had a larger impact than the week 17 disaster. Rex was most certainly there for that one.

Did you seriously say that Rex was "keeping it all together"? Seriously.

So? Big deal. We can have any number of candidates. The question is if we are competing with another team, how does that candidate look at this job versus the other one or ones.

Take Rex out of the equation. If you are a candidate for the job and the prior guy (Coach McCoachy) was fired in less than two years even though he was the most successful coach in the prior 17 for that team notwithstanding injuries etc, it would at a minimum cause concern. Guys like Bedard already have written about this.

If you knew that there leaks to the media minutes before the most important game of the season, it would cause concern - understandably.

If you watched the press conference today, Doug Whaley would not inspire leadership or confidence both as the GM or someone who is going to have the candidate's back with ownership. Understandably.

Who cares about Greg FN Bedard? Whaley's job was to assess the on the field performance with honesty to the owner of his team as opposed to getting someone's back.

Who cares about Greg FN Bedard? Whaley's job was to assess the on the field performance with honesty to the owner of his team as opposed to getting someone's back.

That word is the key word. You believe he did. I believe he did not and actually was trying to save his own job and throw Rex under the bus. According to Doug, you and I are both wrong because he claimed that he had nothing to do with any of this . . . at least until Terry contradicted that thought in his interview with John W.

That word is the key word. You believe he did. I believe he did not and actually was trying to save his own job and throw Rex under the bus. According to Doug, you and I are both wrong because he claimed that he had nothing to do with any of this . . . at least until Terry contradicted that thought in his interview with John W.

Throw Rex under the bus. :lol: Rex's run D got run over by buses too many times this season. When that wasn't happening, his pass defense was making Fitz look like Brady. Next!

Buddy Nix had names in mind as well. Some of them turned him down for interviews, leaving the Bills to choose between Perry Fewell the interim (and no chance candidate) HC, Leslie Frazier, and Chan Gailey. The organization never admitted Brian Schottenheimer, Jim Harbaugh, et al. turned them down for interviews.

This is what happens when the organization employs people who undermine their HC during the season to win the OBD's Survivor show. But continue shilling for the organization.

Edited by BillsVet

The issue here doesn't seem to be the facts as I see them, the real issue creating this story is two-fold:

1- Ownership really doesn't give a damn about the media so Whaley blows off questions with canned deflections, these have become so ridiculous that he says with a straight face that he has no opinion on Rex's firing. IMO Pegula gave Wawrow that interview to support Whaley, who he send out to take the flak as a good underling. This really wouldn't be an issue if we had a winning franchise. Belichick and Parcells before him routinely rip on reporters who ask stupid questions, no one called this dysfunctional or irresponsible because the teams were winning. Once Parcells stopped winning, the media got a foothold to tear him down.

2- The media in general believes they have a "right" to question everyone on everything. Any time an athlete tells a reporter to screw off there are 20 articles on PFT talking about how that player has a "responsibility" to talk to the media. I call BS. Reporters live in a 24 hour news cycle and now believe part of their job is to create drama to justify their jobs. I keep hearing over and over how they are flabbergasted that the coach reports to the owner and not to the GM. Guess what, like Yorke just said in SF, owners don't get removed. If someone wants to pay billions of dollars for a team, it's their prerogative to run that team however they want. If things work out, then the owners will make money and the fans will be happy. If things don't work out then the owners will not make money and changes will have to be made. What is the point in complaining about the hierarchy of the organization? That the coach and GM both report to the owner is not news, Rex laid that out last year. Why does the media make this such a big deal now? Why did we get treated to a 40 minute discussion about the hierarchy of decision-making instead of asking about what is happening going forward. I'll tell you why, it's because they needed gotcha quotes and they new any football-related questions would just get the same canned answers. When reporters are tweeting that they are glad Dennis Thurman is leaving because he was a boring interview, it's clear the reporters aren't interested in football, they just want people who can generate content and sell a story. How is it that the same people who were calling for Rex's head a week ago can now ask questions about not having continuity with a straight face?