AP John Wawrow interview with Terry Pegula

Reed83HOF

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula has full confidence in general manager Doug Whaley's ability to turn around his franchise, and outlined the reasons coach Rex Ryan was fired in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press.

Pegula says he's disappointed in having to change coaches after only two years, but says he had no other choice to fire Ryan after the Bills defense showed few signs of progress during the season.

i figured as much. rex forcing his hand out, thats all it was. rex literally created a self fulfilling prophecy. i wonder how much effort he gave to win? i really do believe rex just didn't have anything left in the tank when it came to the 'fire' that you need to be a winner.

"Pegula based his decision on his own observations, input he's received from his front-office staff over the course of the season, and also on previous discussions he's had with Ryan regarding addressing the team's struggles.

"(Whaley) had input on the basis of conversations throughout the year, what the problems were," Pegula said. "But did Doug ever say, 'Are we firing our coach, are we keeping our coach?' We never had that conversation. I took it upon myself to tell Rex on the basis of conversations about the games and the aftermath of certain games that, hey, things aren't going well."