AP John Wawrow interview with Terry Pegula

Reed83HOF

And just like Whaley said early on in the presser. As I said, that was the most interesting aspect of the entire pc. It suggested a ton of things that were being discussed at the weekly conference and what may have led Ryan to request to go off line and speak to Pegula privately.

I had heard from others in attendance that Pegs was not happy with what he saw while watching the Miami game; openly questioning things and I gotta believe that couldn't have been the first time. Fits with what Pegula said about season long discussions, too.

Egads!! You mean the same things that 95% of Bills fans were seeing and saying, even ones who liked the Rex hire to begin with?!!! Is that what you're really saying?!!

not really, Doug made it clear that Terry was deciding who the coach would be.

No.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We disagree and I am not blind.

I posted the other day a comparison of how Rex's defense did against common opponents of the Eagles whose defensive coordinator (according to some here) invented defense. I also mentioned that PFF rates the Eagles' starting defenders as slightly superior to the Bills defenders.

I did this not to diss Schwartz but to provide context and blunt this narrative that others have had. It is hard to get a defense to perform up to its capabilities when key guys are injured or suspended etc.

Just my two cents.

I get what you're saying, it's not unreasonable. From my perspective, though, every team has injuries, and it's up to the coach to make sure performance doesn't suffer significantly when personnel are substituted. Even when the defense was at mostly full-strength -- against Pittsburgh and Miami -- they woefully underperformed.

Two reasons. One he works for a national publication not a local paper. Two, and more importantly, he works for the Associated Press. He's a reporter only, so he goes by the old fashioned rules of straight reporting. His job is not to offer opinions in his articles, just to report facts and attribute quotes. The TBN guys and Rochester guys and others offer their opinions as well as report stories.

john an only report a breaking story if he has direct knowledge and the direct contact from the source.

as last i remember, at least a year or two ago he did a weekly lunch with graham and a few others from the buffalo news even after the AP had to leave.

I always will love Terry and Kim and be grateful for saving the NFL in Buffalo and contributing to the Buffalo renaissance.

Having said that, I think they are getting bad advice from Doug Whaley and listened to the whispers of the wrong guy while watching games in the box.

Was it/ is it not part of a GM's job to critique the coaching performance each week? You make it sound like Whaley deliberately wanted Rex to fail and did all he could to ensure that the owner saw it that way. Would it have been better for Rex to be "whispering" to Pegula?

Whaley didn't have to throw Ryan under the bus when Ryan's very own coaching gaffes and those of his assistants did the job for him so frequently. I get that injuries and other factors didn't pave the smoothest of roads for him, but Rex didn't get it done, regardless.

I hope so too and hope that i am wrong.

Sadly, I am. I am even a season ticket holder that lives in Miami.

For your answer, see my other posts. In short, I do not believe that less than two years is enough time to fairly evaluate a guy especially with all of the injuries, depth of injuries, suspensions, and QB play. My view.

what about the multiple 200 yard runners, lack of discipline, and defensive game plans that were like whack-a-mole from week to week? Rex seems like a nice guy and we all wanted him to succeed, but another year wasn't going to fix the issues that he didn't learn from in NJ.

Pegula and Whaley watch every game side by side in the owner's box. Draw your own conclusions on those conversations.

The phone call between Rex and Pegula that culminated in him no longer being the coach happened without whaley's involvement. Whaley was a peer of Rex. Pegula says they "mutually agreed to part ways." Then he told Whaley. Whaley didn't say he wasn't surprised. He said he wasn't told why. Because he already knew.

Anyone who has had a peer fired at their place of employment can relate to this.

jut going back a little, this also explains why the players found out so late.

rex could have, and likely did, let the media know ASAP.

For your answer, see my other posts. In short, I do not believe that less than two years is enough time to fairly evaluate a guy especially with all of the injuries, depth of injuries, suspensions, and QB play. My view.

Add the 4 years of crap football the Jets played and you get 6. Is six consecutive years enough?

Dude, the defense was God awful and gave up 75% of the 200 yard games in the NFL.

Rex is a good dude and a bad coach. It is as simple as that. He is tied to his useless defensive scheme and although the is a root problem, it is not the only problem.

what about the multiple 200 yard runners, lack of discipline, and defensive game plans that were like whack-a-mole from week to week? Rex seems like a nice guy and we all wanted him to succeed, but another year wasn't going to fix the issues that he didn't learn from in NJ.

And he promised last off season to fix the defense, after promising when he got hired to have a better defense than 2014.

Yea, 2 years was enough.

so you lose interest in the Bills because the Pegula's won't talk to Jerry Sullivan?

I haven't lost interest.

Like I said....when people 70 miles EAST of the stadium have their local station broadcasting the Steelers games it's an issue.

Rochester is bored too. Ask the regular camp goers about the attendance at SJF.

There is a whole generation of people now who do not associate themselves with the Bills........kid's shun losers......which is why kids don't notice you and Greggy. :thumbsup:

YES! did you not listen to him?

I did. And it's glaringly obvious what he meant. Especially from other stuff. He would be making the decision this time. He would make that recommendation alone to them. They sign off. So if you want to say are they the ones making the decision go ahead. But he's making the decision. He's bringing in the candidates and conducting the interviews and asking the questions and then choosing his guy. 95% chance they are going to let him have that guy. Last time it was them, Brandon and Whaley conducting those interviews and making the choice. It's become clear that Brandon and the Pegulas wanted Rex first. Whaley was okay with it but Rex was not first. They were there and know what happened. That's why they are giving him the reigns.

Egads!! You mean the same things that 95% of Bills fans were seeing and saying, even ones who liked the Rex hire to begin with?!!! Is that what you're really saying?!!

Hard to believe, right. There were some people in town for some scouting related things that attended the game and sat in the booth in close proximity and it was interesting to hear them say they weren't surprised given what they saw and heard. It lends a certain credence to what that 95% of the rest of us can relate to on a weekly basis.