AP John Wawrow interview with Terry Pegula

Reed83HOF

My educated opinion. Agree to disagree.

It is all on Whaley now. Doug may want to speak with Darcy so that he can plan ahead and prepare himself for what is likely to happen.

You mean get fired, struggle to find work as an assistant GM with one of the worst franchises in the sport for a short while, then get bounced out of the league entirely forever.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense is claiming, as you did, the Bills are creating disinterest by blocking local media access to the team.

That presumes the local media dictates interest in the team.

That's false. Laughably so. It hasn't been true in over a decade.

But keep clinging to it if you want. Lord knows you have a very hard time admitting you were wrong.

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong Greggo.

You predicted Shady would have 2,000 total yards in 2014......how'd that go for ya'? :lol:

If you work in Hollywood and don't understand the value of promotion then I don't know what to tell ya'........why do they put up billboards for movies and TV shows around town if 98% of the market isn't going to see it.........maybe you aren't privy to such information like no-answers Doug. :lol:

You predicted Shady would have 2,000 total yards in 2014......how'd that go for ya'? :lol:

If you work in Hollywood and don't understand the value of promotion then I don't know what to tell ya'........why do they put up billboards for movies and TV shows around town if 98% of the market isn't going to see it.........maybe you aren't privy to such information like no-answers Doug. :lol:

You realize that if you two were homos you would be dating, right?

So you were wrong in your prediction Shady was going to be out of the league before he turned 30 in order to work in radio?

Were you also wrong in saying I was distorting your point when I was quoting it verbatim?

Were you also wrong in saying that the local media dictates interest in the team?

Because those were all wrong points you've made (some just in the past few minutes) and you've never owned up to any of them.

In fact, you just run from them -- by changing the topic to this:

I did make that prediction... in the "bold predictions" thread. Details matter. It was a fun thread where we were supposed to make absurd predictions.

I also fully admitted that was overly ambitious as soon as the season was over. Who's the one trolling whom?

And then you further dodge with points like this, presuming you know me when you don't know anything about me:

You made a poor point. You could admit it, but you'd rather try to deflect and distract. You might consider that courageous, but it's a clear sign you're lacking in the testicular fortitude department, not to mention the intellectual honesty department.

But keep on thinking like it's 1982. I'm sure that was a great year for ol' BADOL.

Back on subject: The only thing that dictates interest in the team are WINS. Not whether or not some members of the local media are shut out. The local media has very little, if any, impact on whether or not the team is popular.

You mean get fired, struggle to find work as an assistant GM with one of the worst franchises in the sport for a short while, then get bounced out of the league entirely forever.

At least Darcy helped the Sabres get to the finals and got a first round pick for Gaustad rather than giving up more for Sammy than Miami gave up the prior year to move up more spots and even though the Bills had many other options with great players if they stayed where they were in the draft.

I know some of you guys did not want to believe me that the whole thing with Rex, Doug Whaley etc. would not go over well.

Unfortunately, we will be choosing from the runts of the litter compared to the teams with other openings.

Not if you have other options . . . .

Please...they will have no issues finding a good coach if they know how to make the right decision

So you were wrong in your prediction Shady was going to be out of the league before he turned 30 in order to work in radio?

Were you also wrong in saying that the local media dictates interest in the team?

I did make that prediction... in the "bold predictions" thread. Details matter. It was a fun thread where we were supposed to make absurd predictions.

Back on subject: The only thing that dictates interest in the team are WINS. Not whether or not some members of the local media are shut out. The local media has very little, if any, impact on whether or not the team is popular.

1) It was a aggressive prediction based on the direction he was going.......but fwiw.......he ain't 30 yet. :beer:

2) Local media does not DICTATE interest in the team. That is not what I said. They are part of it. One area among many where the Bills are striking zero chords.

3) Oh I guess my prediction WASN'T bold. :lol:

4) incorrect.......the Bills long struggled with season ticket sales in spite of winning teams in the 90's because of a "if you don't like it, don't come to the games" attitude.......and former GM John Butler once actually casually uttered these words to fans on his weekly tv show.

The local media in Buffalo is still followed quite closely......if not thru flagging paper sales.......by visits to their website and of course social media. WNY'ers tend to follow local media outlets fairly closely still.......and of course radio etc.. Your dismissiveness of that fact speaks to how long you have been away.

Please...they will have no issues finding a good coach if they know how to make the right decision

I noticed what you did not address - whether they will be able to compete with other teams for the best coaches who are in demand.

Again, I fully expect (and hope) that Doug will be able to get someone better than Ron Rolston, but I do not seen an in demand coach with other options taking this job given what happened with the former guy . . . unless the Bills overpay or something else changes.

I expect the Bills to hire Anthony Lynn or some other guy who may be perfectly "fine" and could end up being a great HC (if given the time). I expect that the new head coach will be someone who will be beholden to Whaley and that is just the way Whaley will like it.

I could be wrong, but I am sad to agree that recent events make the Buffalo Bills' HC job the least desirable of the ones available. We should be embarrassed that we even rank lower on that list than Jacksonville.

To be clear, I do not fault the Pegulas so much as think that they have been given poor advice and whispers etc. I actually think that the Pegulas can be (and have been) positive factors as both owners and persons in the recruiting process (as they were with Rex and Bylsma).

Edited by Peter

Well yeah and why would Pegula or anyone connected with the Bills to go out of their way to be nice to the local guys when they've gone out of their way to ridicule them. As was stated the local media give opinion and their opinion was Pegula, Whaley, RB all are all completely incompetent.

and they're probably more pissed because Pegula won't speak to TBN....

What's funny in the press' stampede to catch Whaley in a fib, they're totally missing the confirmation that Rex wanted out early so that he could watch Clemson-OSU with no pressure. All In, for sure!!!

But of course it's more interesting to report on what he said, she said. What a bunch of drama queens.

What's funny in the press' stampede to catch Whaley in a fib, they're totally missing the confirmation that Rex wanted out early so that he could watch Clemson-OSU with no pressure. All In, for sure!!!

But of course it's more interesting to report on what he said, she said. What a bunch of drama queens.

I honestly think they went easy on him because of how poorly he was making himself look.

He's a far cry from Polian/Butler/Donahoe for sure.

I'm not a Whaley hater by nature.......he's average as a talent evaluator IMO........but he was just awkwardly lying and saying as little as possible.......it was kinda' pathetic.

"mutually agreed to part ways"

Oh really?

1) It was a aggressive prediction based on the direction he was going.......but fwiw.......he ain't 30 yet. :beer:

Oops. I guess when you said you have no problem admitting when you're wrong you mistyped... because you clearly do have a problem.

Or you're lying. Gee, I wonder which is more likely?

2) Local media does not DICTATE interest in the team. That is not what I said.

It absolutely was what you said. In fact, to quote you, you "said this a few times now":

I've said this a few times now but i think some of you out of towners don't realize that the local teams boxing out the media just does more harm to the teams by creating disinterest.

And then you even doubled down on it with this:

There is a whole generation of people now who do not associate themselves with the Bills........

If "local teams boxing out the media just does more harm to the teams by creating disinterest" is true, as you stated "a few times now", then you must believe local media can dictate to some degree whether or not the locals themselves are interested in the team.

Otherwise you're making an illogical point.

Or lying.

If only there was a way to see if you're a liar... oh, wait, lookie here:

3) Oh I guess my prediction WASN'T bold. :lol:

See, that's just a lie. You're making it seem as if you made your "Shady will be out of the league before he turns 30" comment in the bold prediction thread. But you didn't. You made that statement several times in threads discussing whether he was worth trading for. You weren't trying to be "bold".

You believed he was washed up. Done. Over the hill. And you belittled anyone who argued against it.

Not quite the same thing, now is it?

But liars gonna lie I guess. And narcissistic liars are going to lie the worst.

You should consider working on that aspect of your personality in the new year. It might go a long ways towards making you a more valuable member in our little community.

Back to the actual topic:

4) incorrect.......the Bills long struggled with season ticket sales in spite of winning teams in the 90's because of a "if you don't like it, don't come to the games" attitude.......and former GM John Butler once actually casually uttered these words to fans on his weekly tv show.

The local media in Buffalo is still followed quite closely......if not thru flagging paper sales.......by visits to their website and of course social media. WNY'ers tend to follow local media outlets fairly closely still.......and of course radio etc.. Your dismissiveness of that fact speaks to how long you have been away.

In the 90s, local media had far more sway than they do in the 21st century. This is my point and why your first answer here is just nonsense. In the 90s there were only a few outlets where you could get honest and good Bills discussion. That's changed. There are now hundreds if not thousands of sites where you can get all the Bills talk you want.

This has diminished the local media's ability to dictate interest in the team -- or at least broken its monopoly. The point you're arguing, that freezing out Jerry Sullivan hurts the Bills attendance numbers, is 20th century thinking.

And it just ain't true.

Wins are all that matters. That's it. We've had an entire generation grow up without the Bills winning a playoff game. That's why there's less interest. It has nothing to do with the Bills' relationship with the Buffalo News.

This whole thing is just pathetic- owner is clueless- president is clueless and gym is clueless- coaching and players are only part of the problem- absent a complete blow up of this organization, I have no reason to believe it will ever get better

It won't. Not anytime soon.

Oh really?

Oops. I guess when you said you have no problem admitting when you're wrong you mistyped... because you clearly do have a problem.

It absolutely was what you said. In fact, to quote you, you "said this a few times now":

If "local teams boxing out the media just does more harm to the teams by creating disinterest" is true, as you stated "a few times now", then you must believe local media can dictate to some degree whether or not the locals themselves are interested in the team.

Or lying.

See, that's just a lie. You're making it seem as if you made your "Shady will be out of the league before he turns 30" comment in the bold prediction thread. But you didn't. You made that statement several times in threads discussing whether he was worth trading for. You weren't trying to be "bold".

You believed he was washed up. Done. Over the hill. And you belittled anyone who argued against it.

You should consider working on that aspect of your personality in the new year. It might go a long ways towards making you a more valuable member in our little community.

In the 90s, local media had far more sway than they do in the 21st century. This is my point and why your first answer here is just nonsense. In the 90s there were only a few outlets where you could get honest and good Bills discussion. That's changed. There are now hundreds if not thousands of sites where you can get all the Bills talk you want.

This has diminished the local media's ability to dictate interest in the team -- or at least broken its monopoly. The point you're arguing, that freezing out Jerry Sullivan hurts the Bills attendance numbers, is 20th century thinking.

And it just ain't true.

Wins are all that matters. That's it. We've had an entire generation grow up without the Bills winning a playoff game. That's why there's less interest. It has nothing to do with the Bills' relationship with the Buffalo News.

You have bizarre interpretations.

Nobody else seems to come up with these conclusions but you.

Then you troll ME and you end up all furious and writing FAR TOO INVOLVED responses. :lol:

You have bizarre interpretations.

Nobody else seems to come up with these conclusions but you.

Then you troll ME and you end up all furious and writing FAR TOO INVOLVED responses. :lol:

All I'm doing is reading the words you type.

You've proven yourself to be a narcissistic liar who occasionally has good football takes. You've also proven yourself to be full of shite on numerous topics, including this one, and completely devoid of a sense of humor.

That's not on me. That's on you. Do better.

Oh really?

Or lying.

And it just ain't true.

You guys, who are two of my favorite posters by far, need to have a kumbaya moment. Badol is absolutely right about the media in a provincial and very old (relatively speaking, demographically) community like Buffalo, and you're absolutely right about Shady -- largely because Badol (and myself, to be honest) felt that good running backs are a dime a dozen (which they are!) and didn't realize that Shady is actually a Barry Sanders-like talent. But he's right about the media there. I know a ton of middle-aged to old people in Buffalo whose news comes from the local media. Really. It's the sort of thing that led Dems to discount the white working class in the Midwest by thinking that these people didn't exist (metaphorically) in electoral terms anymore. They do. But you were also absolutely right about McCoy. He's a phenomenal player.