GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

How? The bottom line is he didn't fire or hire Rex, it's obvious the Pegs did, and now he's in charge moving forward.

how do people miss this. He said he is in charge of the search. Thats when it got ugly.

Everyone really needed to watch the whole thing and for some maybe twice

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not dim. I know him personally.

Let's hope this finally works out for ALL our sakes............

I'm sure he is a bright guy and knows football. I hope he gets the right coach hired and he makes the playoffs next year. What he said is true, they are close. Sadly, people are never happy, I question whether the media would even be happy with a blowout SB win.

My take is this:

I read where Whaleys choice for the position was Hue Jackson. In fact I read somewhere that Hue pretty much thought he had the job and was surprised when Rex was named. Also read where Russ Brandon made the comment to "not let Rex leave the building" before Ryan was named. The Pegulas have also spoken how Rex wowed them and within the first several minutes of their conversation they knew Rex was the right choice.

Thus, I believe that Rex wasn't Whaleys Final choice. But between Pegulas own opinion as well as influence from Russ Brandon the Pegulas made the decision (based on Whaleys comments today obviously without his total blessing) to hire Rex. To make this work the Pegulas also had Rex report to them to ensure that Whaley couldn't do anything to make this choice not work.

Sitting in the pressbox with ownership this year you know Whaley was hammering Rex on his failures and poor decision making. As a man you know he had an "I told you so" attitude towards the Pegs.

So finally the Pegulas realized that they messed up, and it was in Their best interest to finally allow Doug to actually do his job and act like a GM and lead the search. So now it will be Whaley who brings the candidate to the owners. Granted, they still have to sign off on the choice. But I have a strong feeling that Whaleys reccommenstion will be taken a lot stronger than when Rex was hired, and the final choice will be more about what he thinks and not what the Pegs think. I also believe that Brandon will not be involved in this process like last time so he won't be able to Sabatoge Whaleys choice like he did with Ryan.

it will be made clear to candidates that Whaley is the man who you need to impress, and he will probably have more power over the coach than he had with Rex.

It comes across that it was dysfunctional before, but now that Whaley is more in control it's gotten back to the dynamic where the GM is the decision maker, not a green owner and president who is more a marketer. To me that makes it less dysfunctional because Whaleys choice would have left Schwartz as our D.C. Which I think with Hue who knows how that would have worked out.

I believe Whaley has done a great job building this roster and I believe this is a winning franchise. Now that I know Whaley wasn't the spearhead of the Ryan train wreck I have more confidence that he can find the right coach.

Be sure though that if that's the case, the next coaches firing will include him as Well.

Pretty much how I feel.

This doesn't change a thing and it wasn't going to. Whaley is here, he's picking the coach, if he gets it wrong he'll be fired.

s but we as fans have absolutely no say in how the organization is structured. The Pegulas are going to do what they are going to do.

this is along the lines of my thinking

Does the answers to those questions effect you as a fan at all? Do you have any outcome on any of those answers?If you didn't like how decisions were being made are you going to turn in your fan card?

Pretty much how I feel.

This doesn't change a thing and it wasn't going to. Whaley is here, he's picking the coach, if he gets it wrong he'll be fired.

s but we as fans have absolutely no say in how the organization is structured. The Pegulas are going to do what they are going to do.

yes i might. Its been building or better said, declining , my fandom. I don't follow football more than needed anymore. Bills i mean

This just saddened me.

where is the solid structure?

not feeling it Wyane

And they lose credibility by deceiving or not having the answers. I've seen plenty of corporate shills in my life. The Pegulas threw Whaley under the bus, and he let it happen. That's sad.

Credibility? From who? The Buffalo media? :lol: Whaley covered for his boss. That's all the cred he needs.

yes i might. Its been building or better said, declining , my fandom. I don't follow football more than needed anymore. Bills i mean

This just saddened me.

where is the solid structure?

not feeling it Wyane

Well than that's your decision.

It's just entertainment. A game.

Who's making the decisions at OBD and how those decisions are made means nothing going forward when we're about to start another coaching search and have to decide if we want to keep Tyrod? Are you joking?

What do you think were the right questions to ask then?

i would have asked. Whats your plan for fixing the defense? Will you be looking for an offensive or defensive coach this time around? Have you or do you plan on speaking to the players about the lack of discipline some players have brought up?

Credibility? From who? The Buffalo media? :lol: Whaley covered for his boss. That's all the cred he needs.

is that really your conclusion? he waffled plenty of times. even about Brandon.

he was lying half the time.

GET NO CRED.

But he does get another season to earn it. if he owns the Coaching hiring and potential firing. Man up dougie!!

Does the answers to those questions effect you as a fan at all? Do you have any outcome on any of those answers?If you didn't like how decisions were being made are you going to turn in your fan card?

This is such a cop out. It's not going to stop me from being a fan but does that mean I have to be obvlivious to the obvious issues going on at OBD?

He asked what many fans would like to know, just what do you do as GM since the Pegulas seem to have cut you out of major decisions. What else do they decide without consulting you

He's not a fan, he's a professional journalist, and his question was deliberate. It's hostile, intentionally so, in hopes of prompting a quotable response.

To be clear, if the reporter doesn't like the answer, or the answer prompts him to write his opinion piece trashing Whaley, so be it. There are plenty of reasons to be concerned about the Bills, and plenty to write about, but have some class.

Whoever asked Whaley what does he do for a living should be fired on the spot. Unprofessional and embarrassing. Perhaps a little diversity on the Bills reporter beat would do some wonders. Don't need 10 angry middle-aged white guys to provide the exact same viewpoint.

10 angry drinking buddies, too. Alcohol bonds are strong.