GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

I seriously doubt that the Bills will be able to hire anyone who is a great, in demand HC candidate unless the Pegulas OVERPAY and/or there are big time changes. Why would anyone who has great options choose a job where the former coach was pushed out the door in less than two years even though he was the most successful coach in the past 17 years (and, as I suspect, the former coach was undermined by the GM to ownership and media).

Based on yesterday, it may be that Rex was the only thing keeping it together.

Doug throwing ownership under the bus and the likely approach of the media (think vultures) to any Pegula press conference are not likely to entice them.

Exactly how did he do that? Rex was brought in to get the team over the hump and at least maintain the level of the defense. He did neither.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't listen to the PC, but for those who did, what was the proportion of question regarding how Rex was fired vs new coaching search and what's DW's views on what went wrong in 2016 and how he plans to fix that?

Reading between the lines, and using my Captain Crunch secret decoder ring, Whaley is going to use the coaching search to try to change the organizational structure so the coach reports to him instead of Pegs.

Lynn holds presser but can't answer questions on sitting Tyrod because he had no say and wasn't asked. Whaley holds presser but can't answer questions about firing Rec because he had no say, wasn't asked, and doesn't want to know why. Obviously the only people who can answer the questions are the Pegulas, and they're in witness protection.

Meanwhile the 49ers owner was on NFL network today holding a presser to answer all the questions.

Didnt he fire his GM right along with his HC?

Obvious DW wasn't interested in doing the press conference, but it was a evil necessity. Media is a bunch of hacks and DW knows that and just beat around the bush the whole time just trying to get to the finish line. Waste of time by everyone involved.

actually he just got his ass kicked. by bullies but kicked just the same

Did you listen? Questions about the management structure. Who's making decisions. How and why Rex was fired. Why Tyrod was benched. What makes Whaley qualified to lead the search. How he's going to fix the roster. Those aren't the right questions? Tell me, what were the right questions to ask then?

a bunch of questions that mean nothing going forward. The media had an agenda and made themselves look pretty bad. Why do the Bills or Whaley have to divulge how and why the Pegulas make decisions? Why did some of them take personal shots at Whaley? Whaley sucks at public speaking but its part of his job to come out and sit in front of a bunch of asshats to answer a bunch of BS questions over and over.

actually he just got his ass kicked. by bullies but kicked just the same

Agreed....but it was within his power to take control of that and did not.

Like I said....DW could have just said he isnt answering questions regarding the RR firing....a statement has been issued.....any other questions. I would have like to see him totally military that up.

I'll admit this didn't seem to look to good. Whaley was ill-prepared for this presser.

I am wary of dodgy executives.

But I am even more wary of reporters just trying to generate heat for themselves on social media.

Third-rate tactics all around, befitting a third-rate team and a third rate media market.

Edited by jimmy10

I seriously doubt that the Bills will be able to hire anyone who is a great, in demand HC candidate unless the Pegulas OVERPAY and/or there are big time changes. Why would anyone who has great options choose a job where the former coach was pushed out the door in less than two years even though he was the most successful coach in the past 17 years (and, as I suspect, the former coach was undermined by the GM to ownership and media).

Based on yesterday, it may be that Rex was the only thing keeping it together.

Doug throwing ownership under the bus and the likely approach of the media (think vultures) to any Pegula press conference are not likely to entice them.

To the first point, time will tell.

To the second, actually he did the opposite. He gave nothing away. Was he lying and not giving all the truths? Sure was. Do I care how and why Rex was fired? No, I don't know at all. I think it was obvious to everyone, except you, that Rex was not getting it done. So why push to get the how's and why's?

I find it funny that last week the media was upset that the Bills left Lynn out to dry with regards to question about TT. They asked all of about 3 questions about TT. Didn't push Whaley for anything on TT? What did they decide to push him on instead? Why and how Rex was fired? It was embarrassing for all involved.

Lol what? Whaley lied and said we'll make decisions with our new HC. Wasn't the media's fault at all.

no it was not he medias fault. It was their purpose. I laughed so hard when it was asked a couple times. So what is your job Doug. It was hurtful but he deserved it for lying

Agreed....but it was within his power to take control of that and did not.

Like I said....DW could have just said he isnt answering questions regarding the RR firing....a statement has been issued.....any other questions. I would have like to see him totally military that up.

Well then it would have been a good 10 minutes of them asking why he wouldn't or the same baiting they were doing anyways to give up info about the firing.

Exactly how did he do that? Rex was brought in to get the team over the hump and at least maintain the level of the defense. He did neither.

If you fall in the camp that hiring Rex was a bad decision, at whose feet did he lay that "blame"?

Also, the way he characterized everything he is just an innocent bystander while ownership or others make all of the decisions and he is informed after the fact.

The guy goes so far out of the way to avoid any responsibility (after the fact) for any decision that others may believe to be bad, he acts like he was in the bathroom while all of these decisions were made by others.

If I were the owner, I would be pissed.

Edited by Peter

Whoever asked Whaley what does he do for a living should be fired on the spot. Unprofessional and embarrassing. Perhaps a little diversity on the Bills reporter beat would do some wonders. Don't need 10 angry middle-aged white guys to provide the exact same viewpoint.

Did Bucky make it about race? No, that's your filter. He followed up and said he didn't mean it to sound crass, given Whaley's lack of power he wanted to know what he really did.