GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since no one has posted the video... all I have to go by is commentary...

Basically the Pegulas hired Rex, Whaley signed off on it. We don't know if Whaley had complaints or not about Rex during the last two seasons. Pegulas fired Rex possibly without consulting Whaley. Whaley is now in charge of this coaching hire.

That's basically it, right?

And Brandon was involved in the Rex hire, he probably won't be involved in this one though because of his promotion at PSE. He does a lot now, Doug wasn't sure of what he does but man it's a lot.

Basically the Pegulas hired Rex, Whaley signed off on it. We don't know if Whaley had complaints or not about Rex during the last two seasons. Pegulas fired Rex possibly without consulting Whaley. Whaley is now in charge of this coaching hire.

Basically, Doug Whaley was out of the building or on leave when every important decision that some have criticized was made.

His title also is officially going to be changed from "General Manager" to "Limited or No Manager."

Edited by Peter

For the most part yea. Other fine details also but that's the idea.

I don't understand why everyone is so pissed at Whaley then? Sounds like the new owners wanted to be really hands on, realized it didn't work, and now are handing it over to the GM

I saw the presser. It made me scared for the future of the Bills. I was bullish on Whaley at the beginning of the season. I am not so sure anymore. After watching the presser I felt like Whaley is a figurehead GM and not in the loop on anything except scouting players.

I have no idea what to think about the future of our Buffalo Bills. Feels like the Pegulas are meddling and unwilling to give up control and yet not qualified to run a franchise properly.

C

There are only four main jobs an NFL GM is responsible for:

1) Settling on a 53 man roster, either through draft, free agency or trade.

2) Being responsible for the overall salary cap.

3) Hiring and firing Head Coaches, although many GMs this is not their role.

4) Assembling a scouting staff on both the college and professional level.

That's it. Whaley was in control of three of the four. He wasn't in control of #3 but again, a lot of GMs aren't, especially when they have big name or powerful owners and/or coaches.

I don't understand why everyone is so pissed at Whaley then? Sounds like the new owners wanted to be really hands on, realized it didn't work, and now are handing it over to the GM

You're way too unemotional about it. Pound some whiskey, stub your big toe real hard, then listen to the PC...you'll understand.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Yes, but Whaley was parsing words and flat lying about no complaints about Rex and the Pegulas consulting him. What he insisted on was that the Pegulas held a meeting with Rex only that Whaley wasn't there, and was then told that Rex would no longer be the coach. That was true in all likelihood. But he implied that he never talked to the Pegulas about Rex and never considered whether he should be fired or not. That's just nonsense. Edited by Kelly the Dog

Yes, but Whaley was parsing words and flat lying about no complaints about Rex and the Pegulas consulting him. What he insisted on was that the Pegulas held a meeting with Rex only that Whaley wasn't there, and was then told that Rex would no longer be the coach. That was true in all likelihood. But he implied that he never talked to the Pegulas about Rex and never considered whether he should be fired or not. That's just nonsense.

Good wrap up.

They are handing nothing over to the GM. Doug Made it clear that Terry is deciding the head coach and because of "more responsibilities" Russ will supposedly not be involved in the search or decision.

They are handing nothing over to the GM. Doug Made it clear that Terry is deciding the head coach and because of "more responsibilities" Russ will supposedly not be involved in the search or decision.

Wrong read. Whaley is making the call with the Pegulas giving the stamp of approval.

Yep, and reading between the lines Rex was never his guy, which is why he gets another shot.

No issues with that at all from me. Yeah the stuff about not thinking about the firing was weak but the media asked the same questions like twenty times and couldn't comprehend the above. Just silly.

nailed it and yet sooo far away.

The amazing part is rubes still buy it year after year. Chans last year we were 6 and 10 and 4 years later we are 7-9. Feel the momentum. This with all the amazing talent Dougie has brought in.

Edited by billsfan714

Finally watching/listening...

The media is a bunch of vultures. I have no issue with Whaley's answers. Some of the stuff he can't answer for professional reasons, come on.

I don't think it's his answers that are the issue but the actual answers to the questions being asked are getting ignored.

Yep, and reading between the lines Rex was never his guy, which is why he gets another shot.

No issues with that at all from me. Yeah the stuff about not thinking about the firing was weak but the media asked the same questions like twenty times and couldn't comprehend the above. Just silly.

Clearly Whaley must've expressed his reservations about Rex to Terry, and they came true. Then Whaley played the good soldier and did his best to support Rex for two years. When it became clear that Whaley had been right, Terry manned up, fired Rex and gave Whaley the ball. It's the right thing to do but there must've been a better way to deal with all of this from a P.R. standpoint. Edited by Coach Tuesday