GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron Rolston is the Mendoza line of head coaches.

God forbid that Doug Whaley should hire the NFL version of Ron Rolston. Even I think Doug will do better than that.

Yeah, not exactly the same but it reminds me a lot of the twilight of Darcy's time here.

Terry changes his mind in 5 minutes. The guy cried over Pat Lafontaine, talked about how he idolized him, brought him in and trusted him to run the hockey team, then fell out with him in a very ugly fashion in a couple of months.

He brought his right hand man Ted Black in with him as Sabres president, then sent him packing after a few seasons.

My point is that IF this thing doesn't go well quickly Whaley is gone by next December. Maybe even sooner, depending on the circumstances.

Edited by TheFunPolice

It's funny... what's happening now is what everyone wanted for a long time, but now that it's happened, everyone is whining about it.

(Russ being removed from football decisions, Whaley given full control over HC search)

Well, maybe not "everyone" . . . .

I had to laugh when Donald Jones said that GMs in this league really don't make big decisions and that they all are at the whim of ownership. I don't know how he say that and keep from laughing.

Jones has a point because not every decision is a BIG decision to begin with. Indeed, most aren't. But I have NEVER heard of an owner who DIDN'T give approval or disapproval for head coach hires.

Yeah, not exactly the same but it reminds me a lot of the twilight of Darcy's time here.

Terry changes his mind in 5 minutes. The guy cried over Pat Lafontaine, talked about how he idolized him, brought him in and trusted him to run the hockey team, then fell out with him in a very ugly fashion in a couple of months.

He brought his right hand man Ted Black in with him as Sabres president, then sent him packing after a few seasons.

My point is that IF this thing doesn't go well quickly Whaley is gone by next December. Maybe even sooner, depending on the circumstances.

Lafontaine went behind Pegula's back and Terry found out. That's why he quickly fell out of favor. It's not like that is a normal thing. If anything the Pegulas are rather loyal.

It's funny... what's happening now is what everyone wanted for a long time, but now that it's happened, everyone is whining about it.

(Russ being removed from football decisions, Whaley given full control over HC search)

I agree. They are doing what should have been done when Marrone quit. People are mad for two reasons now:

1. The optics are terrible. Someone posted that all this would be fine if Pegula had simply discussed this the day of the firing or even the Wednesday before Anthony Lynn gave his PC. That is true. Maybe they don't care how it looks, but I think they owe it to the fan base to at least not LOOK like a dysfunctional mess.

2. We've had two more years of underwhelming Doug Whaley drafts and seemingly poor contract decisions to have any faith in his ability to find a good coach moving forward or set a plan for success in motion.

Those are legitimate reasons to be pissed as Bills fans.

Lafontaine went behind Pegula's back and Terry found out. That's why he quickly fell out of favor. It's not like that is a normal thing. If anything the Pegulas are rather loyal.

The Darcy part is my focus really. Pat L was just a sideshow. I only mention him because Terry was going around lining up a new GM (he wanted Pat L to be the GM) while still telling fans that Darcy was the man.

As soon as the team came stumbling out of the gate he pretty much cleaned house in the middle of the season.

I just find his timing poor. I agree he is typically loyal, too much so IMO. He hangs on to people who need to go a bit too long, wasting seasons in the process.

I can totally see him firing Whaley next November if the team is doing poorly, which seems likely given Whaley's poor drafting and awful cap management.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I would only add that Patty's too frequent anger outbursts and those he made the mistake of directing them at were one too many.

I would only add that Patty's too frequent anger outbursts and those he made the mistake of directing them at were one too many.

Yep. All part of the equation of Patty was great at creating an impression of himself being an abolsulteky great guy and behind the scenes not so much.

Media in every major city are pretty much miserable and negative when the teams stink.

The difference is in NY or Philly people act like those reporters have earned their snark and bitterness because they happen to be in a big city. In Buffalo it's "who are you? You work in Buffalo."

The irony of that is apparently lost on many.

The Darcy part is my focus really. Pat L was just a sideshow. I only mention him because Terry was going around lining up a new GM (he wanted Pat L to be the GM) while still telling fans that Darcy was the man.

As soon as the team came stumbling out of the gate he pretty much cleaned house in the middle of the season.

I just find his timing poor. I agree he is typically loyal, too much so IMO. He hangs on to people who need to go a bit too long, wasting seasons in the process.

I can totally see him firing Whaley next November if the team is doing poorly, which seems likely given Whaley's poor drafting and awful cap management.

First, not a chance he fires Whaley in November unless the team is 0-8 and he still likely wouldn't. Second, the Sabres situation was unique to hockey and to the time because of the tank. Darcy had two years of an off season to right the ship or get it on track. But we don't really know when the Pegulas decided they wanted the tank.

I don't hate Whaley, but I finally got around to watching the PC...

This whole thing is a mess. Some people are calling the media vultures, and I have to disagree. The Bills do not have an apparent hierarchy and it's maddening to try and figure out who is responsible for what.

The GM didn't hire or fire the coach, which is absolutely insane. To me, it's alarming the lack of control the GM has. I can only imagine Brandon brought this organizational workflow with him when the Pegulas assumed their role. A tactic in longevity is removing accountability and I will again assume that's the handy work of Brandon. Even Whaley being quick to correct people that Brandon's lack of involvement in this HC search is only because of his increased duties within the PS&E is a joke. It clearly came from Russ himself that it needs to be stated that way.

This whole franchise is a mess organizationally and I expect no difference until the Pegulas bring in someone from the outside and give them real power AND accountability. I wish there was a hidden camera so we could see the reaction on their face when they learned about our current operational structure. Until then, I truly will expect nothing but the same.

He's tweeting some it.

Just little details about the coaching search, etc. Whaley going to interview less candidates this time, they interviewed 12 in 2015. She thinks probably 5-6.

Man, there has gotta be some grade a hand wringing going on at TBN HQ.