GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

Yes, but Whaley was parsing words and flat lying about no complaints about Rex and the Pegulas consulting him. What he insisted on was that the Pegulas held a meeting with Rex only that Whaley wasn't there, and was then told that Rex would no longer be the coach. That was true in all likelihood. But he implied that he never talked to the Pegulas about Rex and never considered whether he should be fired or not. That's just nonsense.

With all due respect you have that wrong. I just listened to the full PC. What Whaley said was that he, Rex and Terry were on their post game conference call, Rex asked to speak to Terry alone. After that meeting between Rex and Terry, Whaley was informed that Rex was no longer the coach.

We can speculate as to what transpired, but it seems pretty obvious. Terry Pegula saw what we saw on the field, the difference is it's his team and his money. Whaley didn't need to ask why, he knew as well as we all did.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would of liked for them to asked more future related questions like what his vision for the defense is does he believe a 4-3 would be more suited? I mean it's painfully obvious why Rex got fired what's the point of asking over and over. What good does muckraking do? The pegulas spent 1.4 billion on the team of coarse what they say goes.

I get that people want to defend the team and all that. I love the Bills and I want to defend them too.

So far, I've seen no evidence that they are a well-run, successful organization that deserves the benefit of any doubt.

I thought Russ was good at PR. Why wasn't he at least doing something to make the team appear competent? Look like a professional organization at least.

People want to blame the media for being mean, but if someone was sitting there telling me boldfaced lies I wouldn't be nice either.

Kim Pegula: "I believe in continuity and really wanted to make that happen. But, we just realized team wasn't going in direction we wanted"

That is all it has ever been about, no conspiracy, simple. They didn't like the direction, I don't and most fans didn't. All the rest of this behind the scenes chit is exactly that.

Instead we got another crappy PC with nothing of substance asked.

Edited by horned dogs

I get that people want to defend the team and all that. I love the Bills and I want to defend them too.

So far, I've seen no evidence that they are a well-run, successful organization that deserves the benefit of any doubt.

I thought Russ was good at PR. Why wasn't he at least doing something to make the team appear competent? Look like a professional organization at least.

People want to blame the media for being mean, but if someone was sitting there telling me boldfaced lies I wouldn't be nice either.

It's not about being mean, it's about doing their jobs in a professional way.

Doug lost control of the press conference, that's on him. He spun things that didn't need to be spun.

Some, not all, of the media present made themselves look like fools, not because they were "mean" but because they were asking the wrong questions in an inappropriate manner.

Bucky, Joe B, Sully -- really need to be in other lines of work.

No one escaped that press conference looking good, not the Bills and not the media. It was a literal shitshow on both sides.

Direction?

The guy had the best record as a Buffalo Bills HC in the past 17 years . . . even with all of the injuries and suspensions and QB play . . . and leaks to the media and someone whispering in the owners' ears.

Direction?

The guy got less time (31 games) than McCoy (who was fired today) who had an all pro QB in Rivers but a lesser winning percentage.

Hmm.

Edited by Peter

With all due respect you have that wrong. I just listened to the full PC. What Whaley said was that he, Rex and Terry were on their post game conference call, Rex asked to speak to Terry alone. After that meeting between Rex and Terry, Whaley was informed that Rex was no longer the coach.

We can speculate as to what transpired, but it seems pretty obvious. Terry Pegula saw what we saw on the field, the difference is it's his team and his money. Whaley didn't need to ask why, he knew as well as we all did.

I agree with all of that. He also said it never crossed his mind whether or not Rex should be fired, and implied that he never really talked to Terry about Rex. He left out every game that he sits with Terry and talks about Rex, and the weekly meetings. That's what I was talking about.

It's not about being mean, it's about doing their jobs in a professional way.

Doug lost control of the press conference, that's on him. He spun things that didn't need to be spun.

Some, not all, of the media present made themselves look like fools, not because they were "mean" but because they were asking the wrong questions in an inappropriate manner.

Bucky, Joe B, Sully -- really need to be in other lines of work.

No one escaped that press conference looking good, not the Bills and not the media. It was a literal shitshow on both sides.

Bingo.

They were looking for drama, and trying their damnedest.

I agree that some of the reporters are just awful. Many, actually.

I think having nothing but firings and embarrassment to cover will do that to you, though.

Imagine this team in the NY media market. Sully is a freaking teddy bear compared to being brutally mocked in publications that are read world-wide on a daily basis.

Does anyone even read the Buffalo News?

That press conference was an insult to any reasonable Bills fans intelligence. Some of it was outright lies other statements just exhibit arrogance and others show incompetence. I'm not sure I can support this team anymore based on what I witnessed in that freak show.

I agree. They are doing what should have been done when Marrone quit. People are mad for two reasons now:

1. The optics are terrible. Someone posted that all this would be fine if Pegula had simply discussed this the day of the firing or even the Wednesday before Anthony Lynn gave his PC. That is true. Maybe they don't care how it looks, but I think they owe it to the fan base to at least not LOOK like a dysfunctional mess.

2. We've had two more years of underwhelming Doug Whaley drafts and seemingly poor contract decisions to have any faith in his ability to find a good coach moving forward or set a plan for success in motion.

Those are legitimate reasons to be pissed as Bills fans.

Our 2016 draft was very highly graded - even by the "experts" on here.

Ragland being in danger of injury was known and with his return this (2017) year it will feel like we have 2 second rounders.

I expect us to actually be good on D in 2017. Fron 7 talent is there. Need talented DB's. Draft is full of them.

None. It's been proven time, and time again. It's a mess. I'm starting to think they make it so confusing on purpose. Constantly changing everyone's roles, constantly saying one thing and doing another, it's all part of creating a separation between their lack of success and their individual accountability. It's the reason they've gone with the rinse-repeat HC and QB carousel. It's a mess. They treat their press conference as a marketing piece. They over-think and over-calculate the simplest decisions. Russ Brandon has sat himself next to Whaley or the HC at nearly all of those PC's and today he didn't because there would be accountability and god-forbid someone actually call him out.

Epic fail by the Buffalo media. Proved themselves not only "not ready for prime time," they seem not to know the key questions to ask which might, just might, give their readers/listeners/viewers a coherent picture of where the Bills are now, where they're heading and how they intend to get there. Instead it was mainly about their own bugaboos, grudges and bias confirmation. It was a chance to maybe really learn something. Instead they used it for personal grudges and a chance to "punish" Whaley for apparently neither listening to their brilliant advice nor giving them insider access.

For these guys to be considered second rate reporters would require a major promotion. The Bills embarrass themselves on the field and the local media embarrasses us before the nation. Bunch of rubes and hicks representing the B-Lo.

None. It's been proven time, and time again. It's a mess. I'm starting to think they make it so confusing on purpose. Constantly changing everyone's roles, constantly saying one thing and doing another, it's all part of creating a separation between their lack of success and their individual accountability. It's the reason they've gone with the rinse-repeat HC and QB carousel. It's a mess. They treat their press conference as a marketing piece. They over-think and over-calculate the simplest decisions. Russ Brandon has sat himself next to Whaley or the HC at nearly all of those PC's and today he didn't because there would be accountability and god-forbid someone actually call him out.

All I can say is I see it differently. I think they are fairly clear on what roles different people have, and fairly consistent about what they say.

I think the press goes nuts promoting "insider" leaks that may or may not be true and then puffing things up and yelling about how the Bills are lying and saying one thing but doing another, when really the piece that doesn't fit is sometimes the leak that's been puffed.

I like the move to put Whaley in charge of the HC interview process with the notion that he gets the say and if he's wrong, they'll clean house. There's the accountability.