GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sullys and Buckys of the world WISH they had this kind of access. And they would if they weren't such pricks.

Access to be a pr mouthpiece? They provided nothing substantial, all damage control. They know jw and sal will simply report what they are told at face value

Access to be a pr mouthpiece? They provided nothing substantial, all damage control. They know jw and sal will simply report what they are told at face value

unlike all the "sources from within" that TBN regularly land, it's the team's owner who can't be trusted when dealing--without anonymity--one on one with the press.

it's going to be a long offseason with this level of crazy bfore the WC round.

When your team's gm spouts off statements that are plain shocking... the firestorm should be expected, and it is coming from much more than tbn. Especially from a particularly poorly performing organization that always invites skepticism as to who is making decisions. It is a witch hunt... but the bills happen to be a witch and keep turning seasons into toads.

Edited by May Day 10

all you do is get on this website and hate the buffalo bills and everything about them.

don't be cheeky, put your money where your huge mouth is.

That's not all I do, I also laugh at your takes, especially the heat maps, but I don't post about them, cause I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. :)

And the only thing I hate about the Bills now that Drew Bledsoe is gone is 17 years of failure.

When your team's gm spouts off statements that are plain shocking... the firestorm should be expected, and it is coming from much more than tbn. Especially from a particularly poorly performing organization that always invites skepticism as to who is making decisions. It is a witch hunt... but the bills happen to be a witch and keep turning seasons into toads.

It's fake outrage from the Buffalo News media. They knew Whaley would embarrass himself because he's a horrible public speaker full of anxiety and has trouble translating his thoughts into words. Of course he was going to say something stupid.

Can't watch the press conference anymore. Feels like amateur hour with both Whaley and the reporters and their questions. Pretty brutal and I feel a bit sorry for Whaley, who seems in over his head.

I haven't watched many of these press conferences but have watched this week. This Buffalo media is brutal and idiotic. After the question has been asked and answered a couple times, do they really think they're going to get a different answer the 5th or 6th time??

I wonder what Whaley and others do after one of these. A couple of shots at least I would guess.

After Rex's last one I wouldn't be surprised if he partly asked to be fired to not have to deal with another Buffalo press conference.

Ask John Wawrow how he feels being called a shill.

Nothing substantial. Only the answers to the direct questions that were asked by several at the PC today. You know, the very questions that the Sullys and Buckys got their panties in a bunch over. Only they were finally asked of the only person with the true organizational authority to answer them.

I haven't watched many of these press conferences but have watched this week. This Buffalo media is brutal and idiotic. After the question has been asked and answered a couple times, do they really think they're going to get a different answer the 5th or 6th time??

I wonder what Whaley and others do after one of these. A couple of shots at least I would guess.

After Rex's last one I wouldn't be surprised if he partly asked to be fired to not have to deal with another Buffalo press conference.

My favorite was before Ryan got fired the local media asked Shady if he thought Ryan would be. I mean, WTF kind of moronic question is that to ask a player? The Buffalo media sucks, I can't imagine anyone could deny that.

My biggest concern is that Whaley is in way over his head. He makes too many mistakes to ever compete with the elite teams. Just the way he handles the news conference...you can't say things that are obviously not true. He had a lot of time to prepare for a logical conference and it was horrible. How is he going to outsmart any other GMs when he can't outsmart the Buffalo media? Just the comment about making a mistake hanging his hat on one QB in Manuel alone - who would hang their hat on an unproven QB? And the shape he's left the roster in with little cap room and so few players signed for next year? He's playing checkers while 3/4 or the league are playing chess. The Bills won't win until they have a competent GM and no qualified coach will take this job until that happens. We're stuck hoping for a miracle as always.

Edited by timtebow15

My biggest concern is that Whaley is in way over his head. He makes too many mistakes to ever compete with the elite teams. Just the way he handles the news conference...you can't say things that are obviously not true. He had a lot of time to come up with a logical response and it was horrible. How is he going to outsmart any other GMs when he can't outsmart the Buffalo media? Just the comment about making a mistake hanging his hat on one QB in Manuel alone - who would hang their hat on an unproven QB? And the shape he's left the roster in with little cap room and so few players signed for next year? He's playing checkers while 3/4 or the league are playing chess. The Bills won't win until they have a competent GM and no qualified coach will take this job until that happens. We're stuck hoping for a miracle as always.

His press conference skills have little to do with setting up a draft board or pro personnel evaluations. Ridiculous to even compare them IMO.

I feel this team is a DC & QB away from the playoffs. We should still look to improve in other areas such as special teams, kicker, safety, OC, etc..... We need the best young &/or aggressive coaching staff out there that can be the most out of our talent instead of trying to force a system down their throats that doesn't work.

Go Bills!!!!!

DC and QB? That's it?

I see a need for WR, S, CB, K, HC, DC, RT, OC, and QB if Tyrod leaves. We're FAR away from being a playoff team.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

Exactly right. These "interviews" were designed to benefit Terry and Kim, respectively. Not Wawrow and Sal.

It was crudely enacted damage control after the Whaley tire fire.

But it was too little, too late.

Ask John Wawrow how he feels being called a shill.

Nothing substantial. Only the answers to the direct questions that were asked by several at the PC today. You know, the very questions that the Sullys and Buckys got their panties in a bunch over. Only they were finally asked of the only person with the true organizational authority to answer them.

You hit the nail on the head. They get the answers to the stupid questions they have been raving on about Lynn not answering and now Whaley not answering, and now they are calling them PR speak and shill answers.

There is no satisfying the demand here, because the local media is selling the dysfunctional angle. Answers to their questions ruins that.

My favorite was before Ryan got fired the local media asked Shady if he thought Ryan would be. I mean, WTF kind of moronic question is that to ask a player? The Buffalo media sucks, I can't imagine anyone could deny that.

The media sucks in general. It's no different anywhere but the Bills are horrible at controlling the conference. If you don't have a functional organization it gets worse and worse. Its the same for every dysfunctional organization that let's the media control the narrative. You would think the Pegulas with their business experience would know better.

I agree. They are doing what should have been done when Marrone quit. People are mad for two reasons now:

1. The optics are terrible. Someone posted that all this would be fine if Pegula had simply discussed this the day of the firing or even the Wednesday before Anthony Lynn gave his PC. That is true. Maybe they don't care how it looks, but I think they owe it to the fan base to at least not LOOK like a dysfunctional mess.

2. We've had two more years of underwhelming Doug Whaley drafts and seemingly poor contract decisions to have any faith in his ability to find a good coach moving forward or set a plan for success in motion.

Those are legitimate reasons to be pissed as Bills fans.

It has been frequently reported in the past that Terry Pegula does not feel comfortable talking to reporters. All he had to do is watch one of these with the Buffalo media to decide he wanted no part of that. I don't blame him.

"Bills fans are 90% scar tissue."

Steve Tasker

I think Bills fans will remember that one for years.