GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug Whaley looked bad in the interview because the media set the agenda. They kept asking him questions about Rex, rather than the coaching search. Given the scurrilous orientation of the Buffalo media, this was no surprise.

Whaley didn't want to talk about Rex. One, it was old news. That ship has sailed. Two, Rex didn't work for him and the Terry's firing of Rex happened spontaneously in a private phone conversation. Hence all the 'not privy' remarks that made DW seem weak and uninformed.

The media was obsessed with the rear view mirror while Whaley would have rather talked about the road ahead.

But it's Interview 101 to know your talking points. Get those out. Get them out clearly and with authority. Don't let the people questioning you hijack your agenda.

But failing Interview 101 is not a big deal. It doesn't mean Whaley is bad at building a roster nor does it indicate he'll fail at hiring a coach.

I have to be honest i had not listened to Whaley's press conference. They played part of it today on Atl sports talk radio. He sounded bad. The entire situation sounded bad. It got me thinking if Whaley wants out. Could Whaley be making a case for why things are bad? He does a good job of distancing himself from the entire Rex decision. IF i was Whaley and had any hope of ever being a GM again, i would get out of Buffalo now. IF what Whaley said is true and the Pegula's and or Russ are this much involved, Whaley needs to move on. Take a step back to go to a winning organization in hopes of building back your reputation. I do not think Whaley is a fool. You do not get to where he is by being totally inept. One thing is for sure, the Pegula's are not looking good.

Okay Road Hack!

@mikerodak

If Doug Whaley is going to decline interviews and only speak when required, he should stop accusing reporters of creating "narratives."

"And credit Rex Ryan for reaching out to us when he arrived. He invited everyone into his office week after he got hired for a meet & greet."-Rodhak

Ah! We miss Rex trying to win every press conference.

Edited by horned dogs

I finally watched it. I have a new respect for Whaley. I don't know much but I do know this. If I was Doug Whaley...I'd be damn motivated to prove everyone in that media room wrong. Let's see how he reacts with his back to the wall.

Some type of clarification is required after they hire the new coach as to what the organizational structure is moving forward.

"And credit Rex Ryan for reaching out to us when he arrived. He invited everyone into his office week after he got hired for a meet & greet."-Rodhak

Ah! We miss Rex trying to win every press conference.

Unhappy Rodhak pleases me. The fella can't wait to report bad news and puts a snide spin on everything.

Edited by Dr. Who

If Whaley has the keys... then I am fine with it. I just don't buy that this is the plan. Especially when he claims he was a bystander as other people made the decision to and acted on firing his head coach. It makes no sense.

It is just going to be Lynn anyways... which is an uninspiring choice, which in my opinion will continue the Bills' curve to a bottom feeding aged team with cap issues.

If/when Pegula decides to change the course of a 51+ year failed franchise... we will know, and it will be obvious. These half-measures and accountability shell games are a pattern left over from the Wilson ownership and management.

The other people that fired the HC. THE OWNER, THE PEOPLE THAT OWN THE !@#$ING TEAM,AND SIGN ALL THE CHECKS. Do you not get that owners can do whatever they want?

My biggest concern is that Whaley is in way over his head. He makes too many mistakes to ever compete with the elite teams. Just the way he handles the news conference...you can't say things that are obviously not true. He had a lot of time to prepare for a logical conference and it was horrible. How is he going to outsmart any other GMs when he can't outsmart the Buffalo media? Just the comment about making a mistake hanging his hat on one QB in Manuel alone - who would hang their hat on an unproven QB? And the shape he's left the roster in with little cap room and so few players signed for next year? He's playing checkers while 3/4 or the league are playing chess. The Bills won't win until they have a competent GM and no qualified coach will take this job until that happens. We're stuck hoping for a miracle as always.

It would concern me more if he was a head coach where verbal communication, leadership qualities and thinking logically quickly are so important. A General Manager? Meh.

It would concern me more if he was a head coach where verbal communication, leadership qualities and thinking logically quickly are so important. A General Manager? Meh.

Hopefully his demeanor and communication when it comes to evaluating talent, leading the scouting staff and dealing with agents and players is much different.

Some type of clarification is required after they hire the new coach as to what the organizational structure is moving forward.

the bills have previously stated a hundred times that whaley (responsible for the 53) and rex (responsible for who plays) each report directly to the Pegula's.

i'm quite sure they will be just as clear for next season.

Access to be a pr mouthpiece? They provided nothing substantial, all damage control. They know jw and sal will simply report what they are told at face value

I thought that was a reporter's job?

Report facts (who what when where)

When interviewing public figures, ask questions and report the answers.

Point out when there are discrepancies between verifiable facts and the answers provided, sure.

Everyone was wanting Pegula to provide more information. People questioned what Whaley said in his presser.

Wawrow took the initiative to ask Pegula questions regarding the presser, provided his answers, provided additional information about coach interviews and context about the team's performance.

I think the definition of news and of PR has been badly distorted. Wawrow did what news media are supposed to do.

Point out when there are discrepancies between verifiable facts and the answers provided, sure.

Everyone was wanting Pegula to provide more information. People questioned what Whaley said in his presser.

Wawrow took the initiative to ask Pegula questions regarding the presser, provided his answers, provided additional information about coach interviews and context about the team's performance.

I think the definition of news and of PR has been badly distorted. Wawrow did what news media are supposed to do.

There is a difference between a "reporter" and a "columnist"

As opposed to others who are fine with the 17 year drought and another 7-9 record. Don't ask tough questions and buy more season tickets in support of mediocrity. Some of us aren't fooled by the "rinse and repeat" label on products.

Like I said, Sully writes for you. By the way, do you buy season tickets? Just wondering.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Okay Road Hack!

@mikerodak

If Doug Whaley is going to decline interviews and only speak when required, he should stop accusing reporters of creating "narratives."

Think about what Rodak is actually admitting here. The stream of consciousness reporting that Twitter engenders really exposes how stupid, yes STUPID, these people are. If I were Rodak's editor, I'd be ripping him a new one right now.

the buffalo snewz is being blackballed by the Pegula's.....the snewz have had repeated requests for an interview go unanswered. JW is trusted to report the facts.

If you don't talk to me I'll make schitt up.

No.

More like: if you don't talk to me, I'll be forced to use what little info I have to go to build a story. It's always better to have open dialogue with the media. The problem here is that the teams have been bad for a while or made decisions which were rightly criticized in the media and the teams took their ball and went home. They didn't want to take responsibility for their failures in the press.

When your team's gm spouts off statements that are plain shocking... the firestorm should be expected, and it is coming from much more than tbn. Especially from a particularly poorly performing organization that always invites skepticism as to who is making decisions. It is a witch hunt... but the bills happen to be a witch and keep turning seasons into toads.

I guess a lot depends upon your ears. Which of Whaley's statements were "plain shocking"?

I heard a lot of reporters acting "plain shocked" about old news, such as the Bills organizational structure which had Ryan and Whaley both reporting in parallel to the Pegulas.

That was announced when Ryan was hired.

Despite what some would have you believe, there are all sorts of reporting structures in the NFL including teams which are very secretive about their reporting structure.

No.

More like: if you don't talk to me, I'll be forced to use what little info I have to go to build a story. It's always better to have open dialogue with the media. The problem here is that the teams have been bad for a while or made decisions which were rightly criticized in the media and the teams took their ball and went home. They didn't want to take responsibility for their failures in the press.

That's a polite way of saying "I'll make schitt up."