Sully: Bills' bozos leave Lynn to twist on his own

Rico

No he is really not.

The writers at TBN are all the same happened with Sabres too

Harrington went on a 3 month twitter bitchfest because they didnt hAve an end of seasson presser

Of course he's right. The top questions were going to be all about EJ starting and they let the guy having his first head coaching press conference, and who is against the decision, answer them.

Good leadership would have owned that decision and taken the heat on it from Lynn.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A meaningless game , protect Taylor from injury so they can renegotiate his contract.

Get a last look at EJ to see if he can stay as a backup or even start if Taylor is let go.

I would be ok with Lynn as HC , with a year to year show me contract (wishful thinking)

Get a Schwartz style 4-3 D

Of course he's right. The top questions were going to be all about EJ starting and they let the guy having his first head coaching press conference, and who is against the decision, answer them.

Good leadership would have owned that decision and taken the heat on it from Lynn.

They Are crying because the Bills told them those questions will be answered MONDAY

Again, what's the normal protocol for an interim-coach press conference. Did the Rams and Jaguars have their team management and Execs sitting at a front table fielding questions about the state of the franchise? Maybe,...I'm guessing no. I don't even know the name off hand of the Rams interim coach. I don't think any management wants to give the illusion that the interim coach is "The Man" going forward. The Pegula's issued a public statement. I would expect the "State of the franchise" talk to be held after the regular season ends.

It's probably less pressure for Anthony Lynn to field questions about his week without all the Execs circling around him. I would feel that way. If he's not quick enough to think on his feet for a "witty" answer to satisfy the media, then he should just say..."I'm here to comment about the Jets game, EJ is the starter, it was a team decision...I am thrilled to be head coach for now and will do my best". He doesn't need Doug Whaley or Russ Brandon to hold his hand through that.

I haven't seen the apologists mock the part of Sully's article where he notes how awful the Bills look for their new head coach first not knowing who is starter is and blurting out Cardale Jones, then proceeding to blatantly lie by saying "it was our decision" and then changing it to "I wasn't in the room, the GM and Owners have to speak for themselves."

That's just the kind of thing a journalist should be pointing out. Its not the writer's fault he covers a Mickey Mouse organization

That's not to say Sully is a quality writer, he's not, but he's spot-on there.

Metz' point holds up too though, none of it matters if they get the coach and QB right and win games. It may not matter but the org does not look like they know what they're doing

Again, what's the normal protocol for an interim-coach press conference. Did the Rams and Jaguars have their team management and Execs sitting at a front table fielding questions about the state of the franchise? Maybe,...I'm guessing no. I don't even know the name off hand of the Rams interim coach. I don't think any management wants to give the illusion that the interim coach is "The Man" going forward. The Pegula's issued a public statement. I would expect the "State of the franchise" talk to be held after the regular season ends.

It's probably less pressure for Anthony Lynn to field questions about his week without all the Execs circling around him. I would feel that way. If he's not quick enough to think on his feet for a "witty" answer to satisfy the media, then he should just say..."I'm here to comment about the Jets game, EJ is the starter, it was a team decision...I am thrilled to be head coach for now and will do my best". He doesn't need Doug Whaley or Russ Brandon to hold his hand through that.

Actually, both the Rams and Jaguars' brass did hold press conferences after the firings.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Los-Angeles-Rams-COO-Kevin-Demoff-Explains-why-the-Team-fired-Jeff-Fisher-406151925.html

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/12/21/14038468/david-caldwell-jaguars-press-conference-gus-bradley-firing

Some of the folks wanna keep pretending that what just happened wasn't full-on amateur hour but business as it is normally conducted. It is not.

Edited by dave mcbride

I agree with Sully on his take.

This was an opportunity for Whaley to demonstrate some leadership and be there at the press conference, explain the Taylor issue, take the hard questions and act as the lead in to Lynn - a guy who's been the head coach for all of ten minutes. Leaders don't hide in the office.

One of the reasons the Bills have a reputation for being a sloppy organization is that whether it's the Pegulas, Brandon or Whaley, the four of them become downright invisible when they have to face any sort of criticism or remotely tough questioning.

It's football we're talking about. Not brain surgery. Not a Mars mission.

I agree with Sully on his take.

This was an opportunity for Whaley to demonstrate some leadership and be there at the press conference, explain the Taylor issue, take the hard questions and act as the lead in to Lynn - a guy who's been the head coach for all of ten minutes. Leaders don't hide in the office.

One of the reasons the Bills have a reputation for being a sloppy organization is that whether it's the Pegulas, Brandon or Whaley, the four of them become downright invisible when they have to face any sort of criticism or remotely tough questioning.

It's football we're talking about. Not brain surgery. Not a Mars mission.

I think the toxic situation we're seeing now is the result of both (a) the Bills are screwing up by not being out in front of the media to handle a few questions AND (b) the local media are over-reacting and being petulant children about it.

Whaley doesn't want to answer questions because he's an introvert and hates being the center of attention and probably figured, "Meh, I have to do it on Monday anyway so what's a few days?" Brandon likely isn't answering questions because the Pegula's don't want the public thinking Brandon has anything to do with what happens on the football field. And the Pegula's aren't answering questions because...I'm not sure. Maybe Terry is busy fracking?

Actually, both the Rams and Jaguars' brass did hold press conferences after the firings.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Los-Angeles-Rams-COO-Kevin-Demoff-Explains-why-the-Team-fired-Jeff-Fisher-406151925.html

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2016/12/21/14038468/david-caldwell-jaguars-press-conference-gus-bradley-firing

Some of the folks wanna keep pretending that what just happened wasn't full-on amateur hour but business as it is normally conducted. It is not.

And that makes it all better? Why let the press dictate to you?

And that makes it all better? Why let the press dictate to you?

Promo, as I've said elsewhere, the NFL is a goldmine for one reason only: media coverage. It's the job of management to interact with the source that fuels the engines that feed them cash. It's also irresponsible of them to convey to fans that the media is merely a parasitical leech and nothing more. Judging from this site alone, too many people believe that this is what the media in fact is, failing to recognize the fundamentally symbiotic nature of the relationship. It wouldn't kill management to show up and give an explanation. That's what competent organizations do as a matter of course. The press is only the enemy if you treat it like one -- which is what the Bills do.

Edited by dave mcbride

Promo, as I've said elsewhere, the NFL is a goldmine for one reason only: media coverage. It's the job of management to interact with the source that fuels the engines that feed them cash. It's also irresponsible of them to convey to fans that the media is merely a parasitical leech and nothing more. Judging from this site alone, too many people believe that this is what the media in fact is, failing to recognize the fundamentally symbiotic nature of the relationship. It wouldn't kill management to show up and give an explanation. That's what competent organizations do as a matter of course. The press is only the enemy if you treat it like one -- which is what the Bills do.

No one gives a crap about the press. No one. Every single Bills reporter is completely replaceable.

If the Bills win, all this nonsense will be forget like every other 1,000 unmemorable Sully columns.

No one gives a crap about the press. No one. Every single Bills reporter is completely replaceable.

If the Bills win, all this nonsense will be forget like every other 1,000 unmemorable Sully columns.

I spend far, far more time reading newspapers than following football and have far, far more respect for good journalists than I do for football coaches. If it was a choice between the survival of the Buffalo News - a solid local paper given its constraints - and the survival of the Bills, I'd take the former. And honestly, I don't have much time for people who treat the media with blanket contempt.

I spend far, far more time reading newspapers than following football and have far, far more respect for good journalists than I do for football coaches. If it was a choice between the survival of the Buffalo News - a solid local paper given its constraints - and the survival of the Bills, I'd take the former. And honestly, I don't have much time for people who treat the media with blanket contempt.

With all respect to you, you are in the very small minority. It's why coaches get paid what they get paid and journalists get paid. Most of this guys are the kings of hindsight. I believe they hold grudges and let their personal feelings cloud their "reporting." The Buffalo media has no sources at OBD and they hate that.

And how could you not hate the Buffalo media? They are mainly weasels. It's funny that national recognized guys seem to be treated fine by the Bills. Maybe these guys should look in the mirror instead of trying to get other men to get fired.

He said something negative hence he is a hack.

SOMETHING NEGATIVE? Thats hilarious! I hate the koolaid crowd as much as anybody but Sullivan is ALWAYS negative.

Are you talking about the same media that treats the Bills and Sabres with blanket contempt? That media?

I think the toxic situation we're seeing now is the result of both (a) the Bills are screwing up by not being out in front of the media to handle a few questions AND (b) the local media are over-reacting and being petulant children about it.

Whaley doesn't want to answer questions because he's an introvert and hates being the center of attention and probably figured, "Meh, I have to do it on Monday anyway so what's a few days?" Brandon likely isn't answering questions because the Pegula's don't want the public thinking Brandon has anything to do with what happens on the football field. And the Pegula's aren't answering questions because...I'm not sure. Maybe Terry is busy fracking?

I agree. I'd add that I think that when it comes to ownership, this falls on Kim, not Terry. If you're to believe the narrative, Kim is the shotcaller. IMO, she strikes me as a person who's comfortable with being the owner so long as there are softball questions and press junkets with nice photos but relies heavily on Brandon/Whaley for the football "details."

A problem occurs when relatively straightforward situations (like explaining why you fired an under-performing coach or why you don't want to risk $30 million dollars) spiral out of her control due to the substantial professional shortcomings of both men.

I think the behavior of the press is a manifestation of the weak leadership. You have no owner or GM who's out there explaining what happened and telling it how it is. Instead, they throw a woefully unprepared for the moment Anthony Lynn out there and you get a lot of inconsistent stories.

If Whaley can't do it and Brandon doesn't want to do it - they should hire a Press Secretary just like the White House does and have him or her be the "face".

I believe in automation. I will build the Buffalo News a Jerry Sullivan App that can easily churn out a Jerry Sullivan article.

Headline "Negative Adjective Bills Ownership/Management/Marketers find another way to lose."

Story

2-3 Facts pulled from other national writers on bills.

Close with mentioning X years out of playoffs, Pegula's naive and evil because of fracking.

I will sell to Buffalo News for $5,000 and they can fire Sully and have the process done automatically.

Your app seems to have too much complexity to be sully

The NFL has its own media. They call themselves NFL Media. The Bills have their own media. They have their own 'reporter' and they have WGR as their own mouth piece. TBN is the enemy. Zero upside, all downside. TBN gives the Bills nothing the Bills can't get on their own.

In 2016 the Bills need independent outside media like they need a hole in the Pegula's yacht.

They owe the media zilch. They need the media for nothing. The media is a liability for them.

I don't think you could be more wrong in your take that the Bills were wrong here because they were compelled to provide information. They are not.

May be you can help me get from point A to point B.

Point A: Bills don't get out in front of the questions on HC/QB (to which zero answers exist right now and everybody knows this, but for the sake of this exercise...)

Point B: This is bad for the Bills

With zero home games for the next nine months, what is the consequence of not kowtowing to the media?

Will this issue affect ticket sales next year? No. Attendance at training camp? Doubtful. Will the fans who are already visiting their websites and driving traffic cease to do so this offseason? Certainly not. Does it make the organization unattractive for FA's and HC candidates? Debatable, at best. Money walks.

Edited by The Big Cat

I agree. I'd add that I think that when it comes to ownership, this falls on Kim, not Terry. If you're to believe the narrative, Kim is the shotcaller. IMO, she strikes me as a person who's comfortable with being the owner so long as there are softball questions and press junkets with nice photos but relies heavily on Brandon/Whaley for the football "details."

A problem occurs when relatively straightforward situations (like explaining why you fired an under-performing coach or why you don't want to risk $30 million dollars) spiral out of her control due to the substantial professional shortcomings of both men.

I think the behavior of the press is a manifestation of the weak leadership. You have no owner or GM who's out there explaining what happened and telling it how it is. Instead, they throw a woefully unprepared for the moment Anthony Lynn out there and you get a lot of inconsistent stories.

If Whaley can't do it and Brandon doesn't want to do it - they should hire a Press Secretary just like the White House does and have him or her be the "face".

Agree 100%. That's my concern with Kim Pegula. They claim she's at least co-owner if not the main owner of the Bills, yet she won't go in front of the media. That's a problem. This is the NFL. It's basically part of the entertainment industry and being out in front of the media is a big part of the job. That expectation doesn't go away, and won't go away if you pretend it's not there.