Sully: Bills' bozos leave Lynn to twist on his own

Rico

I agree. Buffalo has good news reporters and media. I think local Buffalo sports coverage has to be the worst in the country for a city with 2 pro teams and multiple division 1 sports. It's a joke.

You wonder why Ty Dunne would leave so quickly. Becoming an NFL beat writer is a plum job.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Buffalo has good news reporters and media. I think local Buffalo sports coverage has to be the worst in the country for a city with 2 pro teams and multiple division 1 sports. It's a joke.

Tyler Dunne was really good and I'm sure the News knows that. Hopefully they find his replacement before too long. Otherwise, they could be a lot better. No disagreement there.

I suspect you and I have a fundamentally different view of what the media's proper functioning in an informed democratic society is. If you approve of organizations shutting out the news media and instead opting for in-house propaganda outlets, more power to you. I for one think that this approach is a freaking blight on public culture in this country (and not just here). Yes, it's just a football team, but they are representative of broader trends. Exxon, for instance, would prefer not to have to deal with the NY Times investigative reporters because, hey, what's in it for them? Better to have their own house media or outlets like Russia Today. An occasionally hostile media is a bedrock foundation of democratic society. I care more about that than Bills ticket sales. But you are welcome to your opinion.

Good post. People shouldn't lose sight of this.

It is a leap, but the principle is the same. Big-time sports in this country are considered newsworthy. For example, the NFL went to war with the NY Times over Alan Schwarz's many, many stories about the effects of concussions. No other outlet would cover the topic because the league threatened access to the Peter Kings of the world. Schwarz wasn't a sports reporter and didn't give a flying eff about the threats.

Of course that's how it works - which is my basic point! You need a good media to reveal this stuff and stand guard, so to speak. Look--I'm not here to fall on my sword for Jerry Sullivan who is a columnist and not a reporter. But the principle of rich and powerful firms shutting out the media is one the media itself should fight. It's their freaking job.

We're not disagreeing on whether or not the media should report on this stuff, we disagree on whether or not the Bills should be obligated to share sensitive information when the media wants it. Because if you're sympathetic to Sully's column, and all the rest of the incessant bitching from local media in the last 48 hours because they haven't been spoonfed information, you must think the Bills are obligated to share it. They're not. Period. And the media embarasses itself pretending like they are,

We're not disagreeing on whether or not the media should report on this stuff, we disagree on whether or not the Bills should be obligated to share sensitive information when the media wants it. Because if you're sympathetic to Sully's column, and all the rest of the incessant bitching from local media in the last 48 hours because they haven't been spoonfed information, you must think the Bills are obligated to share it. They're not. Period. And the media embarasses itself pretending like they are,

I find Sully tiresome, but I really do think he's right in this instance. Fwiw, Bucky Gleason is far worse than Sullivan. Gleason constantly twists facts to support an agenda and is a lousy analyst. Sully is occasionally on target, but yes, his act gets tired fast.

I find Sully tiresome, but I really do think he's right in this instance. Fwiw, Bucky Gleason is far worse than Sullivan. Gleason constantly twists facts to support an agenda and is a lousy analyst. Sully is occasionally on target, but yes, his act gets tired fast.

Right about what?

oh, i don't know....off the top of my head...

1. Are you responsible for the leaks that started after the oakland game?

1a. (when he inevitably stammers out his denial) Since only a tiny number of people could have been involved in that decision, who did it?

2. Why didn't anyone in the organization take questions after rex's firing?

3. Why was Anthony Lynn told to sit Tyrod.

4. Were you on board with Rex's hiring? His firing?

5. Do you think the Bills recent draft history has anything to do with the current record?

6. In retrospect, would you have done the Watkins deal? The Lawson deal?

and before you start, don't tell me when i need to have any of these questions answered. coaching changes are a big deal and the people in charge should be willing to step up and answer for them when they happen, not a week later. the fan's that fill that stadium year after year while they continue fielding garbage deserve that.

although, given that are a committed shill for management, you probably think everyone should just shut up and be happy there is still a team here.

The painfully awkward stumbling and stuttering on Monday will be epic.

You wonder why Ty Dunne would leave so quickly. Becoming an NFL beat writer is a plum job.

The relics that still exist in the local media had it EASY for much of their career. If a young writer like Dunne was as lazy as Sal up in Rochester, he'd be out of a job. He rose to the top simply because he had to just to survive. And in doing so he was heads and shoulders better than his colleagues who had been coasting for decades.

Right about what?

I think he's fundamentally right about how management failed to step up and face the music. It's what good organizations do as a matter of basic practice. The first guy sent out to face the media after yet another palace coup shouldn't be a guy who was an RB coach 14 weeks ago who vaulted to the top, al Qaeda style, over a couple of dead bodies in the forms of Rex and Roman. The GM *has* to be the guy who shows up first. Has to be.

I think he's fundamentally right about how management failed to step up and face the music. It's what good organizations do as a matter of basic practice. The first guy sent out to face the media after yet another palace coup shouldn't be a guy who was an RB coach 14 weeks ago who vaulted to the top, al Qaeda style, over a couple of dead bodies in the forms of Rex and Roman. The GM *has* to be the guy who shows up first. Has to be.

What music? What did they have to answer? What questions remained?

oh, i don't know....off the top of my head...

1a. (when he inevitably stammers out his denial) Since only a tiny number of people could have been involved in that decision, who did it?

5. Do you think the Bills recent draft history has anything to do with the current record?

and before you start, don't tell me when i need to have any of these questions answered. coaching changes are a big deal and the people in charge should be willing to step up and answer for them when they happen, not a week later. the fan's that fill that stadium year after year while they continue fielding garbage deserve that.

although, given that are a committed shill for management, you probably think everyone should just shut up and be happy there is still a team here.

1 and 1a probably won't even be asked about IMO.

2. Something along the lines of waiting for the end of year presser instead of scheduling a special one less than a week before. (again, might not be mentioned)

3. Evaluate the other QB's (blah blah blah but that's gonna be the reason)

4. Group decision for both

5. Drafting the BPA based on need.

6. Injuries are a part of the game (blah blah blah, dems the breaks!)

Spin doctors are going to be ready for Monday. Don't worry. It will be the usual generic bland answers we have all heard before.

2. Something along the lines of waiting for the end of year presser instead of scheduling a special one less than a week before. (again, might not be mentioned)

Spin doctors are going to be ready for Monday. Don't worry. It will be the usual generic bland answers we have all heard before.

Not all GMs offer up boring palaver. The de facto GM of the Pats actually offers some pretty good stuff here at his most recent press conference. He often goes off on these types of tangents, and it can be pretty entertaining: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/29/belichick-tells-defensive-players-theyre-not-good-enough-for-offense/ .

What music? What did they have to answer? What questions remained?

I'm with Jester 43's list, up above.

right, but if that happens (i think it will also)that speaks for itself...i would like to see this leaky weasel have to face these questions after stabbing his coach in the back...for the second time in a row.

Obviously the Pegulas realize someone is constantly leaking stuff to the press, undermining the (at the time) head coach right before a huge game, and causing all sorts of bad PR

#1: Do they know who it is?

#2: Do they care?

#3: Do they tell whoever it is to knock it the hell off?

Probably one of their kids running their mouth to their friends.

I recall a tweet going out about the Sabres not getting Brad Richards from one of them. Wasn't a big deal but that's how everyone found out.

Not all GMs offer up boring palaver. The de facto GM of the Pats actually offers some pretty good stuff here at his most recent press conference. He often goes off on these types of tangents, and it can be pretty entertaining: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/29/belichick-tells-defensive-players-theyre-not-good-enough-for-offense/ .

I'm with Jester 43's list, up above.

Questions that won't get answered are stupid questions to ask when your job is to ask questions.

I don't know what "that decision is" so I can't say what his response would/should have been to "it". But it doesn't seem to be getting at any information that wasn't already known.

In this case he would have been so...but regardless, see no. 1

See no. 1

We already know this answer, it's been reported on tirelessly and he's on record about it

Why would Doug Whaley have to rush to the microphone before week 17 to answer this?

See above

I don't see how having a press conference to answer these particular questions would have been fruitful. In fact, if they would have held a press conference to ask these questions, most of which aren't timely to the past week's events anyways, Sully's complaint column would have been about how nobody ever answers their stupid questions.

Edited by The Big Cat

Yep and the media took to twitter like petulant children

I'd say the petulant children are the ones shilling for a perpetually failed management team and crying about the media 24/7...now what?

i will be the first to admit- no PROCLAIM that Bucky, Sully and their bastard stepbrother Harrington spend too much time trolling these teams to be taken seriously all the time.

But that doesn't mean they're not right sometimes. In this case they are. It is freaking amateur hour at OBD...I just wish it only lasted an hour.