Sully: Bills' bozos leave Lynn to twist on his own

Rico

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley, yes. But given Brandon's role in the larger structure of PSE, I'd be surprised if he was fired.

I wouldnt. If both franchises keep languishing a clean sweep is not out of the question. The backlash from the fanbase can be pretty overwhelming. The last seventeen years was a factor in Rex getting dumped so quickly. People are pissed. Im sure Pegula hears it from his customers daily. Brandon isnt winning any popularity contests these days. More and more fans are starting to B word about him. Fair or not. Fair in my opinion. "Dont let Rex out of the building". Was that before or after he looked at his record and reputation as Jets head coach. Or did he even bother to look. Ryans departure was predictable the day he signed with Buffalo. Pegula has to be scratching his head on this one. And looking at others who thought it was a good idea. Welcome to corporate america. Edited by TANK2

I don't question the Pegula's interest in both teams, nor their willingness to spend money on them. I do question the two layers of the administration that separate the Pegulas from the head coach in the every day workings of the business entity called The Buffalo Bills. The organization will not change, until Brandon and Whaley are out, nor will the head coach have the same authority and working conditions as most other NFL coaches. A fancy locker room and a wealthy owner don't seem to be key criteria for a successful franchise. Run, Anthony, run.

Wait, What? The Pegulas had the HC reporting directly to them. What is this "two layers of administration that separate them"? In fact, they have Whaley and Brandon reporting in parallel to them as well, so it's quite de-layered.

Most NFL teams seem to have further separation from the owner - there are lots of models, but a more linear model where the HC reports to the GM (who has control over the contract negotiators as well as the pro personnel guys), the GM reports to the President/CEO, and the President/CEO reports to the owner seems perhaps the most common. So to give the HC the "same authority and working conditions" as most other NFL coaches, they should have Whaley report to Brandon, and the new HC report to Whaley - which is creating the two layers you're complaining are there now.

I'm so confused.

I wouldnt. If both franchises keep languishing a clean sweep is not out of the question. The backlash from the fanbase can be pretty overwhelming. The last seventeen years was a factor in Rex getting dumped so quickly. People are pissed. Im sure Pegula hears it from his customers daily. Brandon isnt winning any popularity contests these days. More and more fans are starting to B word about him. Fair or not. Fair in my opinion. "Dont let Rex out of the building". Was that before or after he looked at his record and reputation as Jets head coach. Or did he even bother to look. Ryans departure was predictable the day he signed with Buffalo. Pegula has to be scratching his head on this one. And looking at others who thought it was a good idea. Welcome to corporate america.

If Brandon hadn't ascended to such prominence in the PSE organization and could just be confined to his record over his tenure with the Bills, I'd be less surprised. But I guess we shall see as they say.

On another note, the "don't let him out of the building" quote has taken on mythical proportions, especially with the reports of how Brandon suggested Ryan bring a bottle of schmooze wine. I get that the fans are pissed and demand the pound of flesh, but taken in its proper context, that quote is about as benign as it gets. It is really nothing more than Brandon telling Pegula that if they are really sold on Ryan and all the boxes are checked after a couple days of interviews and they feel that strongly, then don't let him leave for another opportunity. But again, I get why it's so scrutinized in hindsight.

The Bills reporting structure is odd. The coach, GM, and President all report to the owner. Why would Whaley comment on the firing when it was Terry who did it.

Yep. It was on Pegula to answer questions regarding the firing as he was the only person with the organizational authority to fire his direct report. I'm surprised Sully hasn't suggested that Pegula should have delegate the job to Whaley.