This game just showed that Tyrod is not the #1 problem

BillsFan130

Tyrod may never become a great passer but put some talent around him he will look better. Sammy being injured hurt the team. Playing with 4-5th string guys the chemistry wasn't there and Tyrod clearly didn't have full trust in them being open. Get Corey Davis in the first and put someone on the other side of Watkins will help. I think Robert Woods is good as gone but he would be an ideal slot receiver if he can be resigned. Getting bigger at the skill position should be the overall goal in the offseason.

Tyrod must be kept until you have someone better ready to take over. I think he can be a middle of the pack QB and his numbers have been affected by all the injuries and random guys in and out of the lineup. I am not opposed to drafting another QB this year as well. Bring in veteran QB to battle Cardale for the backup position and make him earn the position.

Fixing the S and RT position should also be the focus in the offseason. I would try to trade/cut Wood and use the money to upgrade the RT position. Franchise and try to trade Gilmore as well. Corners and Safeties will be needed. 3-4 or 4-3 it doesn't matter the blueprint for success is out there. Simplify the defense we are trying to do too much. We are doing nothing but confusing ourselves.

Keep Anthony Lynn as HC and promote someone from Schwartz's staff in Philly. I think Lynn had done a good job with Roman's playbook this year. Next year he can implement his system while maintaining some consistency on offense. If we can fix the defense we have a decent shot at breaking the playoff drought next year.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod may never become a great passer but put some talent around him he will look better. Sammy being injured hurt the team. Playing with 4-5th string guys the chemistry wasn't there and Tyrod clearly didn't have full trust in them being open. Get Corey Davis in the first and put someone on the other side of Watkins will help. I think Robert Woods is good as gone but he would be an ideal slot receiver if he can be resigned. Getting bigger at the skill position should be the overall goal in the offseason.

Tyrod must be kept until you have someone better ready to take over. I think he can be a middle of the pack QB and his numbers have been affected by all the injuries and random guys in and out of the lineup. I am not opposed to drafting another QB this year as well. Bring in veteran QB to battle Cardale for the backup position and make him earn the position.

Fixing the S and RT position should also be the focus in the offseason. I would try to trade/cut Wood and use the money to upgrade the RT position. Franchise and try to trade Gilmore as well. Corners and Safeties will be needed. 3-4 or 4-3 it doesn't matter the blueprint for success is out there. Simplify the defense we are trying to do too much. We are doing nothing but confusing ourselves.

Keep Anthony Lynn as HC and promote someone from Schwartz's staff in Philly. I think Lynn had done a good job with Roman's playbook this year. Next year he can implement his system while maintaining some consistency on offense. If we can fix the defense we have a decent shot at breaking the playoff drought next year.

Anyone in particular? Kind of a general statement...who on Schwartz's staff is qualified to be a DC?

I have been opposed to bringing Tyrod back unless he agrees to a cheaper deal, but I'm not so sure now. I think he is gradually improving, and I think it's possible (although maybe not highly likely) that with a relatively healthy receiving group, he takes a quantum leap next year. There are probably not more than 12 current starters around the league that I would take over Tyrod right now. Ultimately, it should be up to the next coach, though.

Edited by mannc

Tyrod is not the biggest problem and if he played like yesterday 10 or 12 times a season he wouldn't even be a problem. But he doesn't. If the Bills can get a Quarterback they like in the draft they should pull the trigger.

Its a weak draft for QBs...some are comparing it to the 2013 draft with Manuel, Smith and Glennon,etc...

These college spread offenses that teach Zero Fundamentals, no reads, and don't set up players for success at the next level are killing the NFL with lack of ready QBs...These QBs go from doing 1+1 to solving calculus equations and are nowhere near ready in most cases...

I'm not sure what answer is...maybe some type of developmental league that is QB focused that takes in players out of college and tries to get them playing time instead of having them sitting as 3rd stringers/inactives every week and never seeing the field and never getting reps during the season meaning they have very little chance to actually get better...

I do think this is where that virtual reality software can come in very handy and help give them the closest thing to actual reps there are and you can run hundreds and hundreds of different plays with it against any formation/look on defense you want...this might be the bridge and the NFL would be wise to start getting these to colleges for use ASAP

Edited by matter2003

I have been opposed to bringing Tyrod back unless he agrees to a cheaper deal, but I'm not so sure now. I think he is gradually improving, and I think it's possible (although maybe not highly likely) that with a relatively healthy receiving group, he takes a quantum leap next year. There are probably not more than 12 current starters around the league that I would take over Tyrod right now. Ultimately, it should be up to the next coach, though.

I have always been on the fence, slightly against, if the cap is going up more tha expected and the 3rd year is only guaranteed for injury (which is the new information) then I do think that tilts it back a bit.

Anyone in particular? Kind of a general statement...who on Schwartz's staff is qualified to be a DC?

I wouldn't mind their LB coach Ken Flajole although he doesn't have extensive history with Schwartz. He was former defensive coordinator for Steve Spagnuolo while they were with the Rams. He has worked at every position on the defensive side and has a number of years of experience. Give me someone who comes from an attacking defense like Philly or Seattle where guys can play fast and just run to the ball. Honestly willing to give any assistant a shot even from the Patriots. Hell bring in Gus Bradley anyone who can mold their system around the talent we have and play to their strengths.

Its a weak draft for QBs...some are comparing it to the 2013 draft with Manuel, Smith and Glennon,etc...

It is not the strongest class I agree. DeShaun Watson is a light years better prospect than anything in that draft but at the moment he is my only 1st round graded QB.

I think there are some interesting mid rounders so it isn't 2013 bad.

I have always been on the fence, slightly against, if the cap is going up more tha expected and the 3rd year is only guaranteed for injury (which is the new information) then I do think that tilts it back a bit.

What's funny is he isn't even getting crazy money for a QB in his deal...even at full value it makes him around the 20th highest paid QB in the NFL...We are so out of touch with what QBs make now because it's been so long since we have had one who is worth paying, we still think they are making 5-10 million a year...that's good backup money these days

I'm afraid we will pass up good enough to try and find great but instead find Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Todd Collins or EJ Manuel...

Edited by matter2003

It is not the strongest class I agree. DeShaun Watson is a light years better prospect than anything in that draft but at the moment he is my only 1st round graded QB.

I think there are some interesting mid rounders so it isn't 2013 bad.

Also keep in mind with many teams having 50+ million in cap space next year(Cleveland has $110 million!!!) Tyrod would probably get MORE than what he gets here from a team who is desperate

Agree with the OP. It would be great to see Taylor and Watkins play a full season next year. This team averaged 27 ppg with Lynn as OC, despite several games with WRs pulled off the street, and only one viable threat at TE.

What in the world is wrong with this MAJBobby guy?

What is wrong with you ? He has a opinion and discusses things in a civil tone.

You ready to get all emo on him ?

37 TD's to 12 INT's + 10 rushing TD's = 47 TD's to 12 INT's over two seasons. Terrible. Just terrible.

Should have saved some of them for the raiders/Steelers/2nd pats games/1st Miami game/Ravens games. Etc etc etc.

#cot

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Also keep in mind with many teams having 50+ million in cap space next year(Cleveland has $110 million!!!) Tyrod would probably get MORE than what he gets here from a team who is desperate

The Quarterbacks people keep comparing TT's cap to are proven franchise guys (maybe Sam Bradford and that terrible Osweiler deal apart). I don't think Tyrod is that.

So you should be comparing his salary to the caretaker options not on rookie deals - RGIII, Keenum, Gabbert, Hoyer, Fitz etc..

If I thought Tyrod was a franchise Quarterback then $16m would be cheap. I don't though, I think he is the best caretaker QB. That puts him somewhere around his current 2016 salary $9-10m. That is his value. If the Bills take up the option they are overpaying. Now take the view that overpaying Tyrod is the best of a number of bad options if you like... I see that argument and have sympathy with it. But don't pretend it isn't overpaying - because it definitely is.

Edited by GunnerBill

What about all the other games the past two seasons lol

Guess a MIA loss defines TT as good to go.

You mean his 37 tds against 12 interceptions, with well over 1000 rushing yards and 10 rushing tds? He was the most accurate qb on passes over 40 yards last year. He's in his second season and as has been shown in other threads has comparable stats to many elite qbs over his first two years as a starter.

I'm not saying he's elite, or will be so. Nor am I saying that he does not have flaws. But if we're going to ever have a franchise qb, we have to actually give them a chance.

I just can't help but feel if he were not wearing a Bills uni and had the same bonafides, some fans who trash him mercilessly here would be falling over themselves to replace whatever qb we did have.

I am not a Tyrod supporter by any means. But he showed something today. A glimmer of hope that he can be relied upon. I think Tyrod is still somewhat of a liability. But I think the defense may be just as much of a liability if not more. We have zero pressure.

Perfectly said. I'm off the Tyrodwagon but he was awesome today!

You mean his 37 tds against 12 interceptions, with well over 1000 rushing yards and 10 rushing tds? He was the most accurate qb on passes over 40 yards last year. He's in his second season and as has been shown in other threads has comparable stats to many elite qbs over his first two years as a starter.

I'm not saying he's elite, or will be so. Nor am I saying that he does not have flaws. But if we're going to ever have a franchise qb, we have to actually give them a chance.

I just can't help but feel if he were not wearing a Bills uni and had the same bonafides, some fans who trash him mercilessly here would be falling over themselves to replace whatever qb we did have.

Again wins? How many when needed to make a comeback 4 points down.

I actually was impressed with him last year this yesr nope.

What in the world is wrong with this MAJBobby guy?

Is he really a Major in the armed services or is he self-appointed, Salvation Army maybe?

It is really scary if he really is; with that logic, analysis, problem solving, decision making and execution.... not to mention lack of punctuation and writing skills.

What is wrong with you ? He has a opinion and discusses things in a civil tone.

You ready to get all emo on him ?

Should have saved some of them for the raiders/Steelers/2nd pats games/1st Miami game/Ravens games. Etc etc etc.

#cot

Hey! Merry Christmas Ryan! I actually just got back from Tyrod church this morning or I would've responded sooner. The sermon this morning was about how Tyrod is a marginal starter- somewhere around the 20-25th best QB in the league (probably closer to 25th). But the pastor emphasized that he might be a better option than anyone else next season, his cap hit would only be $14 million and they do have a lot of pieces in place on offense. The pastor also gave us a bit of hope this holiday season by stressing it would be interesting to see Taylor with a healthy Watkins and maybe an Alshon Jeffery to throw to next season as opposed to Justin Hunter, Walt Powell and Brandon Tate. I actually think you would've appreciated it.

Tyrod had a good game yesterday like he did against the Seachickens. Still not the answer, 2 good games out of 16 doesn't cut it. This year he kind of reminds me of that broken clock that is right twice a day.

Haha. Clever post bro, completely wrong but I score it a 10 for cleverness.

1) Complete agreement and I've been banging that drum for a while now......put another 1A type, big WR opposite Tyrod that he can trust to make plays on 50/50 balls and you will get franchise QB type scoring results from this offense. The ceiling is HIGH......think Daunte Culpepper/Randall Cunningham type results with Minnesota. Not franchise guys but facilitators of big offense.

2) Woods is not a good slot receiver, not nearly quick enough, no RAC ability to speak of. He's a long striding, savvy route runner outside and good blocker.....a decent fit as an outside hashes #2 for a precision passer.....but not at $9M per year as sportrac projects him.

3) Glenn to RT and Kujo at LT. If you can find a gem later in the draft that is fine but RT is not worth paying $ to in FA or using early picks on. One of the best things Tyrod does is make a modestly talented OL look very good.....over-investing in an area where you don't need to do would be very Rex-y.

4) I franchise Gilmore either way. No way I give him a long term deal coming off this season but they really can't afford to lose his cover skills with a new HC/DC coming in. He will sulk, maybe sit out camp or a few games, but you are only going to get 8-10 really good games from him either way. Perhaps new coaching or possibly playing for a winner will spark something in this guy to raise him to top 5 level CB play but you can't pre-pay him. He's proven to be untrustworthy.

5) Possibly but Gus Bradley stands out. He'd look like a genius if he got this defense back up to top 5 level and I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility. That Seattle defense is about simplicity, swarming to the ball and TACKLING.........all three of which are basically the opposite of what he have now.

Hey! Merry Christmas Ryan! I actually just got back from Tyrod church this morning or I would've responded sooner. The sermon this morning was about how Tyrod is a marginal starter- somewhere around the 20-25th best QB in the league (probably closer to 25th). But the pastor emphasized that he might be a better option than anyone else next season, his cap hit would only be $14 million and they do have a lot of pieces in place on offense. The pastor also gave us a bit of hope this holiday season by stressing it would be interesting to see Taylor with a healthy Watkins and maybe an Alshon Jeffery to throw to next season as opposed to Justin Hunter, Walt Powell and Brandon Tate. I actually think you would've appreciated it.

Dude is still attending the church if EJ... Really easy to get a good seat there. Only thing is the pastor said that it is pointless and failed to show.

Edited by jms62

Is he really a Major in the armed services or is he self-appointed, Salvation Army maybe?

It is really scary if he really is; with that logic, analysis, problem solving, decision making and execution.... not to mention lack of punctuation and writing skills.

Yeah because my lack of writing skills on a message board have anything tondo with what i have done or continue to due under my Self Appointment in the Salvation Army.

Thanks for your amazing football discussion contribution as always snowflake

Has Tyrod ever led a successful 2 min drill? If there is a stat on that I guarantee he is the worst in the NFL among the starting QB's. Once you are down it's over. He's not going to lead you back. If the other team scores over 21 just turn the TV off because we lose

He just did. Too bad Tubby & Fatty's defense, and Carp, pissed it away.

Yeah because my lack of writing skills on a message board have anything tondo with what i have done or continue to due under my Self Appointment in the Salvation Army.

Thanks for your amazing football discussion contribution as always snowflake

Thank you for your service and we love you as a Bills fan. PLease Please get the help that you so obviously need.

Dude is still attending the church if EJ... Really easy to get a good seat there. Only thing is the pastor said that it is pointless and failed to show.

Tell me more about the Tyrod Taylor that cowered vs the raiders and Steelers.

Crickets again.

Bye Felicia. Cute game vs Miami tho.

Thank you for your service and we love you as a Bills fan. PLease Please get the help that you so obviously need.

You are welcome. Usually we are last to come to the realization that help is needed. Happy Holidays

radical CoT member's must be stopped.

Keep dreaming about Jeffery. I'll keep dreaming about Romo. Then Powell and Tate Will magically catch footballs from the qb.

most of us have it right.....he's not the answer but he's better than ANY B plan..keep him keep drafting. If we had any kind of defense we would be in the playoffs we are not coming off back to back 1-15 seasons.

when you score 24 or more points in 7 games and lose them all, and with a depleted WR corps, offense is no the problem.

I was a member of the reserved-to-retaining-Tyrod-because-we-don't-have-a-better-option crowd, but that ended weeks ago. TT should not be retained except at high end backup money. That's his level of play - and his level of play isn't going to get better. He is what we're seeing this season and that's what he'll be the next two or three seasons if the Bills pick up his option. I am not up for that.

I was a member of the reserved-to-retaining-Tyrod-because-we-don't-have-a-better-option crowd, but that ended weeks ago. TT should not be retained except at high end backup money. That's his level of play - and his level of play isn't going to get better. He is what we're seeing this season and that's what he'll be the next two or three seasons if the Bills pick up his option. I am not up for that.

Sure got better yesterday with a healthy Woods an Sammy.

I couldnt agree more with what you have said. This^^^^^^^^^ is what Im praying Pegula is thinking.I would also like to add that I am starting to feel similar about Anthony Lynn, and that for continuity sake promote him to HC. He took over this offense two weeks into the season and saved our season. He has produced great gameplans and the players love and respect him. He seems to be the disciplined leader this team so desperately craves. Just imagine what he could do with a full offseason of work. I think hes going to be a hot candidate for other teams to poach. Pegula should fire Rex monday and name Lynn the interim coach, then work immediately on signing him to a long term deal.

TERRY IF YOURE OUT THERE PLEASE READ THIS.

Also agree with the OP. Lets not forget Sammy and Clay have been absent all year too. Those two in the line-up make a difference. Why it took them 13 weeks to utilize Clay is beyond me but he's not bad. Tyrod a "hot" franchise guy ?.......no, but he's a decent bridge till we get one with a fast CPU speed. Keep him, but for the right price. Also, even the greats have bad games. Anybody see Rogers, Russel, Luck etc this year ? They sucked hard as well in several games. Be careful what you wish for. Tyrod has played well enough to not lose in many outings, I just wish I could say that for the defense which IMHO might be the worse in the NFL. Good Lord, they are bad.