WIVB Josh Reed: Rex knows he's fired

dezertbill

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gut feeling is they will do it tomorrow so they can get a week of A Lynn as interim and see how he does. I don't think they prefer to fire coaches during the season but they did to Roman. And the Bills season is essentially over.

More gut feeling - Coughlin to "football czar" role ( hate that term though) and will partner with Whaley to identify next HC and coordinators. Pegulas have final say but let Coughlin and Whaley build the slate and recommend. Coughlin stays on as advisor to Pegulas and Whaley. Jmo.

I'm hoping you're right to all of this....mostly Rex gone and Coughlin in as "czar". Whaley has done some good things and failed in other areas, but I would be willing to give him another / last opportunity to work WITH Coughlin to identify HC and work another Draft - FA period to determine if he has the chops to see talent appropriately - most notably at the QB position and develop a roster properly utilized by the coaching staff. Having Coughlin on board would allow a fresh perspective as to IF the new HC and staff are doing just that, using talent in its proper place and with coaching that improves that talent translating to wins.

There is so much wrong with the coaching and the players it could not be fixed in one year or two. Some of the blame has to be on the players union, these kids come into the league not knowing how to tackle. No contact means no education! I will hate to see what this game looks like in five years if they are not allowed to put on the pads and learn how to tackle during practice!!!

There is so much wrong with the coaching and the players it could not be fixed in one year or two. Some of the blame has to be on the players union, these kids come into the league not knowing how to tackle. No contact means no education! I will hate to see what this game looks like in five years if they are not allowed to put on the pads and learn how to tackle during practice!!!

In 2014 this roster produced the 4th best defense in points allowed. This tells me that when well coached this roster is good enough.

In 2016 this roster produced the 7th best offense in points scored. This tells me that when well coached this roster is good enough.

Conclusion, get good coaching on both sides of the football (at the same time) and get a consistent kicker, good results will follow.

In 2014 this roster produced the 4th best defense in points allowed. This tells me that when well coached this roster is good enough.

In 2016 this roster produced the 7th best offense in points scored. This tells me that when well coached this roster is good enough.

Conclusion, get good coaching on both sides of the football (at the same time) and get a consistent kicker, good results will follow.

correct because despite all the shenanigans it looks like they were a missed FG or missed PI call away from the playoffs based on how everything is falling. Changes need to be made but to me, blowing it up Browns style makes zero sense. I think the defensive scheme is a major issue, followed by QB and injuries. Can't change the defense without changing the HC in this case. He went all in, it didn't work, he knows it, the end. Edited by YoloinOhio

See how simple that is!!! :)

Except, of course, the coach part....

The talent on this team is not good enough now, and we may have less talent on the roster next year with all of our free agents in the off season. Better coaching would help, but the reality is that we have not been able to beat quality teams. Until we can do that, we will not make progress.

gut feeling is they will do it tomorrow so they can get a week of A Lynn as interim and see how he does. I don't think they prefer to fire coaches during the season but they did to Roman. And the Bills season is essentially over.

More gut feeling - Coughlin to "football czar" role ( hate that term though) and will partner with Whaley to identify next HC and coordinators. Pegulas have final say but let Coughlin and Whaley build the slate and recommend. Coughlin stays on as advisor to Pegulas and Whaley. Jmo.

I would be good with Coughlin being a "football czar". I don't think it does much to fire Rex ff they are not going to give Whaley the boot as well. If they give both Rex and Whaley the axe then its back to Russ Brandon making hiring decisions and we know how that has worked out.

We have a total of NINE pro bowl players between starters and alternates

we are giving up TWENTY EIGHT POINTS A GAME

our offense is FIFTH IN THE NFL IN SCORING POINTS

and we are not going to the playoffs

Just let that sink in

5 of the top scoring teams will miss the playoffs. You need a defense to get in. This team was lacking in training camp and the defense played like I thought they would. LBs are a problem against the run. The whole scheme stunk.

This is depressing. It would be nice to have a coach that sticks around more than three years.

Yeah, maybe our defense can go from top 5 to top 15 to top 20 to bottom 5 in 3 years. He was hired because of his defensive prowess and our once top 5 defense is now the reason we're out of the playoffs. When you do that in 2 years, you get fired

Hire Lynn As the HC as long as he gets a stud DC. This is despite his all time stupid call of the end around to Bush. Moronic call.

Btw, off if the top of my head these are the idiotic things Rex did just today;

1. 4th and 3 - don't go for it, instead attempt a 46 yd fg into the wind. Carpenter never is making that - Lynn never sees the value in picking up 6-10 yds shortening field goals

2. Coaches challenge on an obvious catch.- that challenge comes from a coach upstair with a view of the TV not on the field

3. Allow for a 3rd 200 yd rusher against this year. This is a first in NFL HISTORY. - Guilty

4. Prevent/zone coverage on the last drive of regulation.- live in fear of your 6th and 7th string safeties being used

5. Calls a time out after the ball is snapped on the field Fg- Corey White is calling it 10 seconds prior without the ball moving somehow all the refs cant see it how many are out there?

6. The bush end round - maybe not his fault but he is the HC- A Reach here for sure, he's not calling the plays

7. No balls ,- punts on 4th and 2 in OT -Guilty

8. Not only has 10 men on the field on the 57 yd run in OT, but does the same on the Winning fg - Who is in on what packages is TOTALLY on the player. Injury your position coach is in charge of next man ready not the head coach

Players may love him but he's way too disorganized and has turned a #3 schwartz d into a joke - it was a #4 defense in points and yards but hell it gets better the further away it was

Rex was the head coach so it does rest with him but a lot of these decisions aren't really his. Much like a baseball manager making a pitching change and the pitching coach makes the wrong pitch selection and gets burned. Not really his bad but he takes the fall. Did his staff get him fired ? In a large portion yes and that is on Rex himself

Edited by CardinalScotts

Am I the only one who would've been mad had they actually called the timeout to ice the kicker? The guy was running onto the field to make the damn thing, The idea of calling a timeout when the Dolphins were making what usually would be a pretty bad mistake would've been called idiotic on Rex's part too had he gotten the timeout, and Franks misses it. Then it doesn't count cause of the timeout, lines up with time granted by Rex and makes the 2nd try.

I honestly don't think Rex really wanted that timeout til after the kick. Corey White on the other hand, I don't know why they didn't see him.

Edited by What a Tuel

Am I the only one who would've been mad had they actually called the timeout to ice the kicker? The guy was running onto the field to make the damn thing, The idea of calling a timeout when the Dolphins were making what usually would be a pretty bad mistake would've been called idiotic on Rex's part too had he gotten the timeout, and Franks misses it. Then it doesn't count cause of the timeout, lines up with time granted by Rex and makes the 2nd try.

I honestly don't think Rex really wanted that timeout til after the kick. Corey White on the other hand, I don't know why they didn't see him.

Completely agree. Icing an NFL kicker is a joke, anyway.

I agree as well. I thought it would be better to pressure him into kicking. It's frustrating though.

I gotta say though that we should keep Lynn as HC, bring in a 4-3 DC to bring this unit simplicity and discipline.

i agree - I never disliked him. Thought he was a clown in NY but that's just who he is. I didn't care if he wanted to be himself. Clemson helmets, prank conference calls, jokes, bills truck... fine. seems like a great guy who really embraced the city and truly wanted to win here. I like the guy. But you cannot use a defensive scheme like he's putting out there. Something is very wrong. It's worse than last year. These are not bad players! Can't see it getting better or changing. He's so stubborn about his scheme.

Exactly how I feel.

Still need a better QB.

There is 27 coaches on this team, or one coach for every two players. How come with that average we are playing with too many or not enough players on the field? Why are players lost and confused on where they are supposed to line up? Why are we getting alignment penalties? How can you not know what is going on when you have a private coach telling you what to do? No matter any stat, number, prayer, or play call, this disturbs most of all.