Scathing Review of Doug Whaley - Buffalo News

Sully comes off as a little beatch, per usual. But he's got a point, Whaley should have to meet the press more often than his weekly radio hit.

You're 100% correct. But proactive statements can often eliminate the need for reactive press conferences or team statements.

I can't imagine anything that would stop Sullivan from writing how he does.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped reading guys like Sullivan a long time ago, and I refuse to read this article. I'm sure I can figure what it says out anyway. It doesn't take much of an imagination to picture Sully, Vic, Sal, Graham etc. just sitting around and engaging in group think. This is similar to the media for politics we see on CNN,Fox, MSNBC etc. The level of bias reached in these sessions causes detachment from reality. It is not like everything they say is false, but rather they do not research and report objectively. And, as we just saw in the election, people have started to figure it out.

Yeah, I'd definitely love speaking to guys who are trying to make me lose jobs.

What a bunch of female dogs sports "journalists " have turned into. So desperate to be part of the story.

You lose your job when you don't get results. Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan have not produced results, thus they're criticized. Difference is, one of them doesn't face the music and the other one does.

You've made this into journalists "desperate to be part of the story" and that (EDIT: remains) a complete distortion. Sports media is what it is, but they know underachievers and calling their record into question isn't improper.

Why should Whaley or anyone else at OBD respond to every stinking rumor and crusty column from TBN? They have no obligation to do so IMO.

The point is, Whaley doesn't respond at all unless you count softball questions lobbed by WGR. He hides when the hype doesn't match the results.

I know you don't believe the team is accountable for their failures, particularly during Whaley's tenure. Fewer people though see it that way because they're not invested like you are in defending a moribund franchise.

Edited by BillsVet

So let me get this straight:

1) the news media has manufactured a "time of Crisis" for Rex Ryan through "leaks" claiming he would be fired 2 games ago or fired after the season (when the first didn't go down as predicted)

2) said manufactured "time of Crisis" involving something that didn't happen (Ryan being fired 2 games ago) implicates Whaley as wanting this to happen or wanting a QB change

3) now Sullivan is complaining that Whaley is "fiddling while Rex burns" because Whaley refuses to show up on demand to address the "burning" crisis the media manufactured, during a season when GMs and scouts just may be busy traveling to different bowl games or at least watching copious film to decide where they want to go.

Somehow the phrase "a failure on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" comes to mind.

Looks like you got it crooked.

1. The media reported an alleged leak that Rex would be fired.

2. No one from within the organization has come forward and denied this leak.

3. Sullivan called this amateur hour antics by a group of amateurs.

FWIW, in Management 101, they teach one to get out in front of rumors and not let them fester and boil over across your entire organization. Good management wants Johnny Worker B. focusing on building widgets, not hanging out by the water cooler talking about the next pink slip parade and how much the company sucks.

Yeah. Whaley only finds pro bowlers on the scrap pile and makes trades for them too. What a bum.

Meanwhile Rex doesn't know what to with those players.

What good are pro bowl players you found on the scrap pile if you hired a coach that doesn't know how to use them?

GM and HC have to be in sync. Not sure Whaley and Rex have been. At least not so far.

Whaley's a clown. He only gets credit for all his scary-good personnel decisions because the bar was already so freaking low in Buffalo to begin with. If we had a real front office at any point since Donohoe, he would be recognized by fans for the amateur he is. His job should begin and end with scouting free agents.

If they are stupid enough to make Rex take the fall after we (i predict) go 9-7, I hope they enjoy the fan mutiny that follows.

Are the Pegulas really stupid enough to make the same mistake with the Bills that they did with Darcy and Lindy?

If so, I'm pretty sure I'll die without ever seeing a championship parade in Buffalo.

Shaking my freaking head.

Nice post.

What a sad state of affairs. :(

I think the blame for most of this goes right on Pegula(s). Whether Rex is a good coach or not..whether he wants to pass the ball or run...has a winning season or not....it might not have mattered much. You NEED your coach and GM to be on the same page (or at least in the same chapter. By not allowing Whaley to make the coaching hire, Pegula is the one that made the decision to get to this point.

If they really REALLY wanted Rex and wanted him as the 'figurehead' of the team, they they should have asked him to look over a list of GM candidates that he thinks he can work with and share his philosophy. If they REALLY wanted Whaley as the GM, they should have let HIM pick his own coach.

I'm not a huge fan of Sullivan and his style of confrontational writing, but I am agreeing with him more and more with the Pegulas...they just seem like they sometimes operate as amateurs. Yes, they are new at the game, but they haven't brought in experienced people with either team to guide them, and then look the situations that just look bad for the teams (Lafontaine, "Lidny's not going anywhere", promoting Rolston, Ted Nolan, bypassing whaley in hiring of Rex, how Marrone left......some of this may not be their fault, but a lot of it could have been avoided.)

Edited by mjd1001

I think the blame for most of this goes right on Pegula(s). Whether Rex is a good coach or not..whether he wants to pass the ball or run...has a winning season or not....it might not have mattered much. You NEED your coach and GM to be on the same page (or at least in the same chapter. By not allowing Whaley to make the coaching hire, Pegula is the one that made the decision to get to this point.

If they really REALLY wanted Rex and wanted him as the 'figurehead' of the team, they they should have asked him to look over a list of GM candidates that he thinks he can work with and share his philosophy. If they REALLY wanted Whaley as the GM, they should have let HIM pick his own coach.

I'm not a huge fan of Sullivan and his style of confrontational writing, but I am agreeing with him more and more with the Pegulas...they just seem like they sometimes operate as amateurs. Yes, they are new at the game, but they haven't brought in experienced people with either team to guide them, and then look the situations that just look bad for the teams (Lafontaine, "Lidny's not going anywhere", promoting Rolston, Ted Nolan, bypassing whaley in hiring of Rex, how Marrone left......some of this may not be their fault, but a lot of it could have been avoided.)

Good take.

I will not read the article, but if he is blasting Whaley for apparently undermining Rex...and most likely Marrone ....then I regretfully have to agree with him.

How bad is it in Buffalo sports when i have to agree with Sully :sick:

Who says that Whaley undermined amyone ? Is there any evidence of this or is it just conjecture on the part of a reporter ? Whaley has done a pretty good job. He has whiffed on some draft picks, but what GM hasn't, including the ones with the golden reputations. On balance, he is IMO someone who has earned another few years as GM.

Do you all realize that the self-important tool who writes that uninformed garbage has virtually no idea what is actually happening on a football field? I have literally coached middle school kids who have a superior understanding of this game than that guy does.

In addition he also has no real idea what is going on in the front office because nobody there has any respect for him as a writer or as a person.

This board will likely have 100+ posts written this week that are more knowledgeable and insightful than anything you'll ever read from that clueless self-promoting blowhard.

Has he ever played any sport? He still has trouble breaking 100 on the golf course.

Assuming the articles written about Rex being canned at year end are all true, as was questioned here, I do think Rex has been told he'll be gone at year end, or if not outright, reading the tea leaves he knows he's gone. So what's Whaley supposed to do, support Rex state the articles are all false then fire him in ten days, or even worse, publicly NOT give him a vote of confidence.

If the rumors are all true, I think silence by Whaley makes the most sense. Reading the PFW article, sounds like the Bills are parting ways more as it said they've grown tired of Rex's act than based on actual coaching, so again makes most sense to say nothing.

If the Bills are officially eliminated this weekend which likely will happen, wouldn't be surprised to see them can Rex on Monday as the questioning will be relentless, particularly if Rex has already been told he's done at the end of the year. Maybe that was part of Rex's deal, let me stay until we're officially out of it.

I don't think things are as bad as people are saying.

The team is 7-7, and 9-7 is still on the table. Without any real passing offense and a ton of injuries, including not getting much of anything out of the team's 1st and 2nd round picks.

Am I crazy? Why does anyone, let alone everyone, have to be fired?

Nobody is perfect. The Patriots blow a lot of draft picks but it doesn't matter because they pick up budget FA who fit their system and they have Brady, who never loses and never has a bad game. Ever.

This is why they could get rid of Brandon. Clearly, he isn't needed. He's stealing form the Pegulas.

I mean...wow.

How Marrone left? Are you suggesting they should have had the foresight to negotiate the terms of his hire even before they owned the team?

Looks like you got it crooked.

1. The media reported an alleged leak that Rex would be fired.

2. No one from within the organization has come forward and denied this leak.

3. Sullivan called this amateur hour antics by a group of amateurs.

FWIW, in Management 101, they teach one to get out in front of rumors and not let them fester and boil over across your entire organization. Good management wants Johnny Worker B. focusing on building widgets, not hanging out by the water cooler talking about the next pink slip parade and how much the company sucks.

FWIW, do they suggest you do it publicly or internally?

Suppose one of the owners of an organization doesn't have a great affinity for local media due to its treatment of him from the beginning and he says internally "This report is patently false, and unless someone strongly objects, we're not going to give these dolts the satisfaction of indulging this bull **** publicly. They're clowns, and they're gonna write what they're gonna write. At the end of it all they'll be exposed for the frauds that they are. Sorry, Rex, but the pressers are gonna suck for the rest of the season. You up for it?"

Edited by transient