Adam Schefter: Rex Ryan to be fired end of season

Yeezus

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they said this will be Whaley's third time in helping hire a HC... Maybe third time's the charm?

I don't think Marrone and Ryan were Whaley picks

because once we get him, we can all yell, "cowher power!" when the d stops them on third and short. russ, the marketing genius that he is, might even get them to flash it on the jumbotron to pump up the crowd!

Just no towels, ok?

Edited by nucci

Remember when Whaley was pushing working with EJ Manuel as a prerequisite for taking the Bills job just two years ago.

Yes - let's him have a major role in picking the next coach.

eh, he just wanted the new coach to be open to working with the only QB that was on the roster at the time. I don't think that's an outrageous ask.

name all the great coaches who didn't have a great QB

Amen. Tell me who the QB is, the coach won't matter. Yes Rex makes mistakes but all coaches do, but it's amplified when you lose. Success shields coaches from in game blunders and bad players, losing amplifies the mistakes. Keep Rex, the new boss will be the same as the old boss. All these coaches who get fired got hired as the right man for the job because they were on winning teams, both coaches and coordinators. They end up on teams without a QB and suddenly they suck. Pretty logical the connection between being good and winning and sucking and getting fired - a QB. So keep Rex and let him Try with a different QB. Otherwise, theyre just repeating 17 years of history that the evidence suggests is more on QB play than coaching.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18277690/nfl-2016-adam-schefter-chris-mortensen-week-15-notebook-leveon-bell-future-pittsburgh-steelers

there it is.

Says Whaley most likely staying. I'm for a full house cleaning and Whaley has been nothing more than underwhelming here. But if he can find the right coach/QB than by all means go for it.

What an awful hire this was. We were right on the verge of becoming a quality team, Rex legit set this team back 3+ years.

It was just so friggin stupid to hire a coach who would definitely be changing our defensive system. We FINALLY had a quality marriage of scheme and personnel, and we proceed to hire a coach who would require different personnel to run his scheme. As unprofessional as Mario was, I can see why he was like wtf and just lost heart in what the Bills were doing.

Imo it wasn't even the fact that it was Rex Ryan in particular--any 3-4 coach or non 4-3 coach was going to set this team back. Absolute stupidest decision. We had our guy. Just promote Scwhartz and add some weapons to the offense--which we did--and we probably go 11-5 or 12-4 last year and this year. The Rex hire was almost as bad as extending Jauron for that last year.

Stop with the low self esteem pity party. This team has plenty of talent and the Pegulas are awesome people to work for.

An offensive mind coach gets to inherit a guy who had a year sitting and learning and draft another qb. There are plenty of good pieces on this team. Aim high!

I think he has a point. The Bills job is toxic because, spoken or not, you have to make the playoffs in year one. Otherwise the whispers start. The longer this drought goes the more toxic it becomes.

Marrone is probably laughing.

While he swims in his kiddie pool filled with $4MM.

Billick?

So they said this will be Whaley's third time in helping hire a HC... Maybe third time's the charm?

Wouldn't be surprised if Lynn is new HC (avoiding Whaley involvement) and the new coach finds a DC. No Whaley, no Brandon.

I hope they redo the training staff. It is ridiculous how many injured players are re-injured and how many overuse injuries there have been. Too big of an investment to have the best players out as much as they have been.

Edited by norton20

I don't think the Schefter report guarantees anything.

IF the Bills win the next 3 games even though they are against teams that are very beatable, the vast majority of the hatred for Rex is going to wane. The front office knows this. If they win all 3 games, you can bet Rex and crew are going to be back for at least another year. Then he'll have another shot at the playoffs to keep his job. If the Bills win 2 out of the next 3, I think he will still be back (as long as they beat the Browns). If they lose to the Browns this week it will be so embarrassing that Rex could get fired in the peak of momentary hatred.

IF the Bills win the next 3 games even though they are against teams that are very beatable, the vast majority of the hatred for Rex is going to wane.

From the fans? If so I would say that statement is the definition over overly optimistic...

The tide has turned on Rex in a big, big way...It's obvious...No matter where I go...Here, Twitter, FB...It's really obvious folks are fed up with everything Rex...A couple more wins against the poor and handicapped is not going to change it... B-)

Name all the great coaches who tell anyone who will listen they are great coaches and know how to win without a great QB, then keep their jobs when they don't... B-)

Unless Bucky Gleason or Jerry Sullivan report it, I don't believe it. These dudes are the ones who break all the Bills stories.

Let Whaley have complete control over the process and see if he can hire a real coach for once.

Gotta love this stuff right here.

As though a): Whalley had no control over hiring Rex (in which case you would have to believe he could not influence two new owners with, apparently, little to no NFL football savvy) and b): any GM has "complete control" over who the HC will be, with the owners at the GM's mercy.

Let Whaley have complete control over the process and see if he can hire a real coach for once.

Agee'd when ever you let some one like Brandon put his 2 cents in on something he THINKS he knows something about you get a history like the Bills !

Let Doug do his job ALL OF IT !

This might possibly add to the conversation:

John Wawrow Dec 16 Just to clarify based on tweets, having missed Whaley on @WGR550 this AM. So GM with big say in Rex's future not asked about Rex's future?

nickellion79 Their stance is that he didn't choose him and doesn't decide his future.

John Wawrow Dec 16 Excuse me. My head just exploded.

John Wawrow Dec 16 To be clear as i thought this was common knowledge: The decision on Rex's future is in the hands of Doug Whaley and Pegulas. Period.

Daryl Smith I thought he reported directly to Pegula?

John Wawrow Dec 16 Not in this case.

Suplex City Is this new or has it been that way since day 1?

John Wawrow Dec 16 It's how it was explained to me this past week.

Loreto Barbone sounds like Whaley is gaining the confidence and trust of the Pegula's

John Wawrow Dec 16 Did the 3-year contract extension in January not tip people off?

In Response to jw questioning why WGR didn't ask Whaley about the Rex Report:

Sal Capaccio B/c we have limited time and the rumors were unfounded. He wasn't fired Monday. And my understanding is TP makes ultimate call

John Wawrow Dec 16 Of course Terry makes the call, and based on input he receives from Whaley. The decision, as i've been told, is in Terry and Doug's hands.

Mark Ryan it's interesting that DW seemed to have little to do with the hire but will have say in the future

John Wawrow Dec 16 Oh. Right. Given that he was the one Pegulas entrusted in running the search.

John Wawrow 1d1 day ago Also, since Pegulas are well known for not leaking information, these leaks are coming from somewhere. And certainly not from Rex.

Paul Hamilton That is def the case this time and def wasn't the case when Rex was hired. Terry and Kim did the interviewing and the hiring.

John Wawrow 22h22 hours ago Right. Whaley was credited in identifying the candidates and running the interview process, however. He wasn't a "bit" player.

Paul Hamilton actually he was. At the time they weren't even sure they were keeping him.

John Wawrow 21h21 hours ago They were based on Russ' backing

John Wawrow 19h19 hours ago Real tired of #Bills reacting and not acting to whims of popular opinion. It's selling tickets that's gotten them into this mess.

John Wawrow 19h19 hours ago And it's keeping them there. One panic move, follows another, and another. There seems to be no one bold enough there to say enough.

John Wawrow 19h19 hours ago Can't stop. Won't stop. It's 17 years i've been covering this rinse and repeat team.

John Wawrow 19h19 hours ago And it's this morning's interview on @WGR550 that continues to set me off. How, in this time of crisis, does Whaley get a pass.

John Wawrow 19h19 hours ago A 20-minute interview, and the first question is about dodgeball. And of course Whaley dodged it. Of course.

Also from Vic:

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/16/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-whaley-no-safer-ryan/

"It's well known within the Bills that Terry and Kim Pegula have a great affinity for Whaley. They enjoy his company in social settings, and there have been almost no instances when Terry is on the sidelines before a game or at training camp when you don't see Whaley right by his side. One franchise insider told me Whaley "walks on hallowed grounds" with the Bills' owners, and that was at least partly why it took little convincing from team president Russ Brandon to give Whaley a contract extension after last season.

One, they turned to Whaley and Brandon to oversee the coaching search that led them to Ryan. The Pegulas leaned on Whaley's and Brandon's extensive NFL experience to manage the process that included a lengthy list of interviews all over the country.

It's fair to say Whaley mainly liked the choice because he knew Ryan, unlike his predecessor, Doug Marrone, would pretty much stay out of Whaley's way. Ryan would let him know what positions he wanted addressed and Whaley would find them and there would be nothing approaching the hands-on involvement that Marrone insisted on having in areas beyond coaching.

It's also fair to say that Brandon mainly liked the choice of Ryan because he knew that, at least in his first season, he would have a significantly positive impact on the sale of tickets. And he did. The Bills set a franchise record with 60,000 season-tickets sold in 2015.

The other obvious reason Whaley can't be allowed to stick around if the Pegulas proceed with another coaching search is that his presence would be a handicap. No top-level candidate is going to want to be forced to work with a GM whose track record is spotty, at best, and who has proven to have issues working successfully with not one but two head coaches."

Also:

ricky 4h4 hours ago any update on Rex Ryan being fired? If so has Whaley hired his own coach yet?

Joe Chenelly 3h3 hours ago No one getting even interviewed until Rex gets fired. All expectations at OBD remain that he gets fired, but final games count.

ricky 3h3 hours ago has Whaley hired any coaches yet?

Joe Chenelly 3h3 hours ago He was for hiring Rex.
Edited by Reed83HOF