Tyrod's Wonderlic: Can he run an NFL offense?

Correct. i hear Tyrod's Wonderlic performance really faded when he hit the second half hour (analogies and logical reasoning). His adjusted score taking into account blood sugar level would easily be in the mid 30s, maybe better.

If he'd have had better pencils this wouldn't even be a talking point.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why teams don't use testing to grade these QBs in a way that really matters.

How fast can someone process information. It never seems like you hear a Team testing this but that it what the QB in the NFL does. How fast can they process their information to make the right decision. That at the end of the day is QB in a nut shell.

Obviously the measurable mean something as well.

Different era of football

The statement about how fast someone can process information, IMO, is dead on. Einstein was a genius but how fast did he process information. I doubt it was fast, his field of expertise didn't require fast. I believe that may be the biggest non-physical attribute a QB needs.

Posts keep referring to Kelly's score. Didn't he call most of the plays when he was in the game? It looked like he did a pretty good job at it.

This very well could be one of the reasons why Tyrod can't pull the trigger. His brain doesn't work fast enough to make the quick reads. Another factor is his athleticism is actually a hindrance. He has always been the most athletic player on the field and I'm sure in high school and even college he knew he didn't need to make the quick reads, he could scramble away from anyone so what's the hurry? Hes always looking to make the big play instead of the easy play

This very well could be one of the reasons why Tyrod can't pull the trigger. His brain doesn't work fast enough to make the quick reads. Another factor is his athleticism is actually a hindrance. He has always been the most athletic player on the field and I'm sure in high school and even college he knew he didn't need to make the quick reads, he could scramble away from anyone so what's the hurry? Hes always looking to make the big play instead of the easy play

Well put.

Yep, I got my hands on a Wonderlic type and scored a 48 without paper or pen. 15 is bizarre.

It makes me think that either these Wonderlic tests that people get a hold of online are inaccurate in representing the true nature of the test or are some players just so focused on football that they lack common sense elsewhere or do some of these prospects just not take the test seriously? I find it hard to believe that any person of average intellectual capacity couldn't score a 30 on the test half assing it. But yet a lot of prospects do.

One's performance on a snapshot in time, culturally biased IQ test, isn't necessarily reflective of his ability to perform a specialized task. TT's problem is that his command sucks, his vision is worse, and he isn't a poised player often enough to perform well under pressure, which is basically the job description for a QB.

One's performance on a snapshot in time, culturally biased IQ test, isn't necessarily reflective of his ability to perform a specialized task. TT's problem is that his command sucks, his vision is worse, and he isn't a poised player often enough to perform well under pressure, which is basically the job description for a QB.

And I think that stems from not deeply understanding his system and even more his opponents fundamentally

He doesn't see the field presnap and adjust so why would you ever expect it live. In the biggest moments it would only get worse

Explains why no 2 min drill, lack of audibles, being good on the go routes but not touching reads in the middle etc... I've wondered out loud several times if you asked Greg roman what he thought of TT intellectually what the answer would be, because on the field the cues say he thought he was not smart enough to lead the offense

Edited by NoSaint

It makes me think that either these Wonderlic tests that people get a hold of online are inaccurate in representing the true nature of the test or are some players just so focused on football that they lack common sense elsewhere or do some of these prospects just not take the test seriously? I find it hard to believe that any person of average intellectual capacity couldn't score a 30 on the test half assing it. But yet a lot of prospects do.

It's got to be different from the online versions... because if not, I'm not sure I can in good conscience continue watching what these poor bastards do to each other on Sundays.

And I think that stems from not deeply understanding his system and even more his opponents fundamentally

He doesn't see the field presnap and adjust so why would you ever expect it live. In the biggest moments it would only get worse

Explains why no 2 min drill, lack of audibles, being good on the go routes but not touching reads in the middle etc... I've wondered out loud several times if you asked Greg roman what he thought of TT intellectually what the answer would be, because on the field the cues say he thought he was not smart enough to lead the offense

I've seen a regression in his command of the offense even after A Lynn took over to "simplify" the offense and concentrate on what we do best. The talking points when GRo was fired were "plays were getting in late because the were so complicated, etc". Now that the playbook has been streamlined to give extra time in between plays, I see very little adjustment pre-snap by Tyrod - which tells me one of two things:

1) He has no idea what he's looking at and his recall ability to know which audible to call is suspect; or

2) The Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach have told him not to audible and just go with the selected play (possibly because they know he is unable to do it on his own).

Either way, defenses now know they can confuse the hell out of TT and he will revert to his "scrambling ability" which, given his tendency to break early if his first read isn't open, allows defenses to just sit and wait for him to get jittery and bolt.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with his brain not working fast enough, but I think you're spot on with your second thought. He became so used to breaking the pocket and using his athleticism whenever his first read wasn't there that it's now engrained in him like muscle memory. It takes years and years of working hard to undo years and years of bad training. The Bills don't have years and years for him to try and work it out.

Do we even know if that chart is legit? It says Drew Brees went to Louisiana Tech. Pretty sure he went to Purdue.

We don't- there's no official release and it could be a bunch of confirmation bias in trusting it but... I don't think tyrod is slow eyes or having trouble discerning reads because of height. I think the issue is if you ask him at the line where his slot receiver, the safety and the olb will be on his 5th step, he doesn't have the command of the defenses cues playing off his own schemes cues to have confidence in his answer. Instead of following guys to confirm his read I think he's actually having to locate them from scratch a bit which leaves plays on the table

When it's read one safety and heave the ball he does great but you only get so much of that in today's NFL

Edited by NoSaint

http://nflwonderlictestscores.com/how-smart-is-your-teams-qb/

Was just discussing this in the Shoutbox. Tyrod is a great kid, hard worker, devoted.

But does he have the brain (and height) to play QB in the NFL? Tyrod scored a 15

Is it worth it to keep him on the team knowing his limitations?

I honestly believe he has a tough time analyzing defenses, using audibles, and processing things quickly.

Just a spot to discuss if he has the intellect needed.

Dan Marino got a 16, what's your point? There is NO correlation between Wonderlic scores and QB ability...Fitzpatrick got a 48...want him back? Grasping at straws here

Edited by matter2003