Tyrod's Wonderlic: Can he run an NFL offense?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think the reasons teams have a hard time at finding a Solid QB is they really have no accurate way of testing the QBs processing speed on the field. They love the metrics, arm, speed size etc etc. But want to make money and find that guy with the "IT" find out how to correlate the QBs metrics with a test to figure out what his processing speed is. Then you have a way to figure out how to find QBs in todays NFL

Having played around with the Wonderlic test last year, I can tell you that if Tyrod tried his best on the test and scored a 15, he is flat out dumber than dirt. Like the most dumb person you know kind of dumb.

I believe Jim Kelly got a 15 as well, and so did Dan Marino--who is a bonafide meathead, but those guys were great QBs. Of course, they played in an era where Ds were not nearly as complex and being a good QB required less brain power.

The funny thing is this: remember when Tyrod was first easing into things around OBD?

Everyone, I mean EVERYONE was saying how you talk to him, get to know him, and how INTELLIGENT he is.

His intelligence early on was really emphasized.

I guess that was all just bull ****, as a 15 on the Wonderlic is not synonymous with intelligence of any kind.

They say 20 is average intelligence (100iq) as a rough equivalent and that 5 points off of that is about a standard deviation from average I believe.

So think of average people you know and then scale back a good bit. It would explain things like not making reads and audibling effectively

I couldn't care less about any stupid standardized intelligence test. However, I do think there is a such thing as football intelligence. Just as one can be a great mechanic,musician,furniture maker, etc without scoring high on an IQ test, I believe someone who isn't classically smart is capable of having soild knowledge of football. My concern is that Tyrod hasn't shown that he does understand what is happening on the field. This has nothing do with his Wonderlic score though. Derek Carr doesn't come across as being particularly bright, but he obviously understands football. I'm not sure TT does. This has little to do with the Wonderlic.

I agree about the Wonderlic.And, I agree with Tyrod not processing and lacking the vision.

What I don't agree with is people who say he stupid because of the wonderlic score and then go on to say it is a different era and you can't be a dummy anymore. And, also go on to that there are no great QBs who score low on the test , then ignore that Carr scored 20 and Cam 21.

This is the definition of confirmation bias.Meaning I think Tyrod is dumb and a bad QB.. oh look his wonderlic is low. I'm right.

Exactly. Look at a players tape from college and you can see how capable they are of football intelligence . No need for a Wonderlic test to validate it.

Yep. Fitzpatrick has the highest Wonderland score. Matt Stafford scored higher than Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Derek Carr and Cam Newton scored lower than EJ.

Does a high Wonderlic score imply strong football acumen? Probably not, but there are strong indicators of football smarts. The fact that EJ was tagged with "slow eyes" indicated that he was not up to par in processing all the things an NFL QB needs to to be sucessful.

Yep. Fitzpatrick has the highest Wonderland score. Matt Stafford scored higher than Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Derek Carr and Cam Newton scored lower than EJ.

Does a high Wonderlic score imply strong football acumen? Probably not, but there are strong indicators of football smarts. The fact that EJ was tagged with "slow eyes" indicated that he was not up to par in processing all the things an NFL QB needs to to be sucessful.

Gugny said it above and it bears repeating...having a high Wonderlic score does not guarantee he will be a quality NFL QB...but scoring a 15 certainly doesn't help you succeed as an NFL QB. It was a huge red flag and, apparently, overlooked.

I understand that...but maybe we should look for a QB who breaks the 30th percentile in brains when we search for another QB.

Meh it's an intelligence test - I don't expect athletes to do analogies or simple math and get the answer correct in any amount of time really. I would say they should give time-based tests based on football intelligence related to their particular position. They key is to see how quickly they can understand and process information related to their position. Although I do understand that this is also wrought with issues since many college teams don't coach the players this way. It is usually run here, throw the ball there...

Gugny said it above and it bears repeating...having a high Wonderlic score does not guarantee he will be a quality NFL QB...but scoring a 15 certainly doesn't help you succeed as an NFL QB. It was a huge red flag and, apparently, overlooked.

I doubt it was overlooked, as he went in the 6th round. I don't think anyone except Rex Ryan really thought of him as starting material. Sadly.

I couldn't care less about any stupid standardized intelligence test. However, I do think there is a such thing as football intelligence. Just as one can be a great mechanic,musician,furniture maker, etc without scoring high on an IQ test, I believe someone who isn't classically smart is capable of having soild knowledge of football. My concern is that Tyrod hasn't shown that he does understand what is happening on the field. This has nothing do with his Wonderlic score though. Derek Carr doesn't come across as being particularly bright, but he obviously understands football. I'm not sure TT does. This has little to do with the Wonderlic.

I should have scrolled down more before I responded, same basic answer I had! On a side note, Jimbo had football smarts, he studied lots of film with Frank and the rest of the offense...

I believe it's been "confirmed" that his issue is with blood sugar as opposed to his intellect.

Correct. i hear Tyrod's Wonderlic performance really faded when he hit the second half hour (analogies and logical reasoning). His adjusted score taking into account blood sugar level would easily be in the mid 30s, maybe better.

Having played around with the Wonderlic test last year, I can tell you that if Tyrod tried his best on the test and scored a 15, he is flat out dumber than dirt. Like the most dumb person you know kind of dumb.

I believe Jim Kelly got a 15 as well, and so did Dan Marino--who is a bonafide meathead, but those guys were great QBs. Of course, they played in an era where Ds were not nearly as complex and being a good QB required less brain power.

The funny thing is this: remember when Tyrod was first easing into things around OBD?

Everyone, I mean EVERYONE was saying how you talk to him, get to know him, and how INTELLIGENT he is.

His intelligence early on was really emphasized.

I guess that was all just bull ****, as a 15 on the Wonderlic is not synonymous with intelligence of any kind.

But isn't that what everyone says about the dumb kid? "Oh, he's really very intelligent, he just doesn't test well"

Jim Kelly - 15.

Dan Marino - 16.

I am not saying that T. Taylor has shown he is the guy, but, as with everything, this does not tell the whole story.

http://wonderlictestsample.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

I think football was slower and less cerebral back then. Not to mention the rule changes that have changed the QB position, etc.

It's my opinion that up until 15 years ago, or so, a QB who had accuracy, toughness and football smarts could be successful (obviously, with your Kelly and Marino examples). I just don't think that's the case anymore.

It is a sad state of affairs when you need a higher score to play QB than to be a senator!

Well, in fairness, you just need to be popular to be a Senator ... which will also get even a dumb, crappy QB voted into the Pro Bowl, ironically enough.

Intelligence isn't everything (look at Fitz), but particularly in today's game, it's an important thing. Let's take a look at the current set of top quarterbacks:

Luck: 37

Rodgers: 35

Brady: 33

Brees: 28

Wilson: 28

Roethlisberger: 25

Prescott: 25

Newton: 21

Other than maybe Newton, those are all significantly higher than 15.

I agree about the Wonderlic.And, I agree with Tyrod not processing and lacking the vision.

What I don't agree with is people who say he stupid because of the wonderlic score and then go on to say it is a different era and you can't be a dummy anymore. And, also go on to that there are no great QBs who score low on the test , then ignore that Carr scored 20 and Cam 21.

This is the definition of confirmation bias.Meaning I think Tyrod is dumb and a bad QB.. oh look his wonderlic is low. I'm right.

Great points. People are choosing to ignore physical gifts as well. I see Kelly and Marino being mentioned as belonging to a different era while failing to mention they both had rocket arms. Carr has incredible accuracy, and Newton has great size. Taylor has none of these traits. Add the inability to read the defense and you end up with the conversation we're having now.