CBS: Rex could be fired, TT benched Monday with loss

NoSaint

This is what I think should happen now:

Coming into this week, I said Taylor needed to show he is worth the option, that meant he had to be good in all 4 games. Well today's game I think sealed his fate of not picking up his option and most likely made him the next starting QB of the Browns as he will be the most intriguing QB on the market this off season and they desperately need help.

So, with Taylor's fate most likely decided in the FO, what should they do now? Fire Rex? Play Cardale?

1. DONT fire Rex this week UNLESS he refuses to try another QB, and fire him at end of season instead. There is no value in firing Rex with 3 games to go unless he wont bench Taylor and the FO and Staff want to see what else we have. A good argument could be made about seeing what Lynn could do as an auditor, however, if they truly like Lynn who has risen up the ladder quickly here already this year, then why risk damaging their belief in him by throwing him to the wolves with a team already deflated from missing playoffs. Just give him the reigns at end of season if he is really their guy.

2. Make it EJ time, not Cardale. Cardale was not ready to be a college QB and lost his job, and he almost certainly isn't ready to play in the NFL. So why risk further hurting his confidence by throwing him in for the final games of a team in turmoil with nothing to play for? Let EJ go out and give him the chance to win a job either here or somewhere else in the NFL. Quite frankly, EJ has earned that by being a model citizen, doing everything asked of him, putting in the hours to get better, etc etc. Let him have these 3 games to show if he grew or not, I think he deserves the shot and I dont think Cardale is close to ready. If they like Cardale, let him battle for the job in the offseason with the what is likely the new coaching staff.

Just my cents. Let Rex finish year before firing him and let EJ play for his career the rest of the season since Taylor didn't make the most of his opportunities. He was certainly hurt by injuries this year, but he also left too many opportunities on the field to warrant picking up his option at this point.

This is incredibly sensible. I think the only argument might be once you start toying with you first point, it becomes a bit meddling for ownership to dictate who starts and who doesn't. I'd rather not force EJ to start but to see what Rex does come Monday. If he incorrectly sticks with Tyrod, he gets the axe. In Rex's press conference he didn't say for sure Tyrod would start.

Also, as of today, EJ is better than Cardale across the board. I really want to see Cardale succeed with us, but I definitely don't want to throw him to the wolves. He's not ready and it could be very bad for his confidence to get action before he's ready.

Finally some sense around here. EJ deserves a shot. He was rushed in, rushed out, and was a class act pro the entire time. He has shown flashes of brilliance although most around here only like to point to his minutes of calamity. I'd like to see what he can do for 3 weeks. Why rush Cardale? He'll be here next year no matter what.

Exactly.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next head coach search will be Russ Brandon's 5th.

Russ should have NO PART in a coaching search, he needs to stay on the business side of things

This is incredibly sensible. I think the only argument might be once you start toying with you first point, it becomes a bit meddling for ownership to dictate who starts and who doesn't. I'd rather not force EJ to start but to see what Rex does come Monday. If he incorrectly sticks with Tyrod, he gets the axe. In Rex's press conference he didn't say for sure Tyrod would start.

Also, as of today, EJ is better than Cardale across the board. I really want to see Cardale succeed with us, but I definitely don't want to throw him to the wolves. He's not ready and it could be very bad for his confidence to get action before he's ready.

Exactly.

EJ had his shot, next. And we have no idea if Cardale is better or not.

Russ should have NO PART in a coaching search, he needs to stay on the business side of things

He got 4 starts into his second year at a 2-2 record and was prematurely pulled by a megalomaniac head coach. It certainly was a shot, I'll give you that, but it wasn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

And we do know that EJ > Cardale, come on buddy don't be ridiculous.

Cardale will be here next year no matter what. No need to throw him in the fire this year unless they really think he is ready. And I don't think he will be. EJ never got a fair shake with a real coordinator and a coach who believed in him. We might as well give him a few more games to see if we wanna bring him back at least to compete. Our QB situation is an imminent disaster already.

Hopefully they will get rid of the Ryan brothers in the offseason. He BS'ed his way into the job, but I think now it is clear to anyone who watches NFL football that Rex Ryan is not HC material. And his brother certainly can't coach a defense.

This is what I think should happen now:

Coming into this week, I said Taylor needed to show he is worth the option, that meant he had to be good in all 4 games. Well today's game I think sealed his fate of not picking up his option and most likely made him the next starting QB of the Browns as he will be the most intriguing QB on the market this off season and they desperately need help.

So, with Taylor's fate most likely decided in the FO, what should they do now? Fire Rex? Play Cardale?

1. DONT fire Rex this week UNLESS he refuses to try another QB, and fire him at end of season instead. There is no value in firing Rex with 3 games to go unless he wont bench Taylor and the FO and Staff want to see what else we have. A good argument could be made about seeing what Lynn could do as an auditor, however, if they truly like Lynn who has risen up the ladder quickly here already this year, then why risk damaging their belief in him by throwing him to the wolves with a team already deflated from missing playoffs. Just give him the reigns at end of season if he is really their guy.

2. Make it EJ time, not Cardale. Cardale was not ready to be a college QB and lost his job, and he almost certainly isn't ready to play in the NFL. So why risk further hurting his confidence by throwing him in for the final games of a team in turmoil with nothing to play for? Let EJ go out and give him the chance to win a job either here or somewhere else in the NFL. Quite frankly, EJ has earned that by being a model citizen, doing everything asked of him, putting in the hours to get better, etc etc. Let him have these 3 games to show if he grew or not, I think he deserves the shot and I dont think Cardale is close to ready. If they like Cardale, let him battle for the job in the offseason with the what is likely the new coaching staff.

Just my cents. Let Rex finish year before firing him and let EJ play for his career the rest of the season since Taylor didn't make the most of his opportunities. He was certainly hurt by injuries this year, but he also left too many opportunities on the field to warrant picking up his option at this point.

Good points all!!! Let's put EJ Manuel in there!

We haven't suffered enough!

Bills won't play EJ this year - it will destroy their plan to resign him and sell him as the hope for 2017. Romo or anyone decent will never sign here, so the Bills will be dancing without a partner. EJ and Cardale will be sold as the latest hope. Brandon is genius at this stuff.

He got 4 starts into his second year at a 2-2 record and was prematurely pulled by a megalomaniac head coach. It certainly was a shot, I'll give you that, but it wasn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

And we do know that EJ > Cardale, come on buddy don't be ridiculous.

I still think we did everything we could to ruin EJ and he might've had a chance elsewhere but at this point its not happening

Hopefully they will get rid of the Ryan brothers in the offseason. He BS'ed his way into the job, but I think now it is clear to anyone who watches NFL football that Rex Ryan is not HC material. And his brother certainly can't coach a defense.

it'd be pretty wild if Rex and Rob are both fired tomorrow... but Russ probably figures any news is good news.

This is exactly why Cardale shouldn't start. People think that a guy "had his shot" when he was thrown to the wolves, way before he was ready, and he's forever judged on his play during that time.

If Cardale is thrown out there before he's ready people will make up their mind about him even though he should have never seen the field to begin with.

When is Whaley going to take responsibility for his failures? Okay, so EJ wasn't on him? Then whose decision was it to trade two first rounders for Sammy Watkins? Whose decision was it to sign Dareus for his ridiculous contract? Why does he have an inability to get along with the coaching staff? Why is it always the coach's fault that his genius picks don't work out? He sure has gotten a lot of mileage for the Hughes trade.

What's with him forcing coaches to play his draft picks? Didn't he want to force Marrone to play EJ? Now he wants Cardale Jones to play? That should be the head coach's decision. And Cardale is a lottery pick. He couldn't stay the starter in college.

EJ has also shown the ability to step up when the game is on the line.

Yeah - people never give EJ credit for being clutch late - something TT is definitely not.

Everyone freaked out about the London game - but forget EJ left the field with a lead and the ref's stole that from the defense at the end.

Edited by BobChalmers

Yeah - people never give EJ credit for being clutch late - something TT is definitely not.

Everyone freaked out about the London game - but forget EJ left the field with a lead and the ref's stole that from the defense at the end.

It's good to see people seeing what o saw finally

I still think we did everything we could to ruin EJ and he might've had a chance elsewhere but at this point its not happening

No doubt. If we blow up the staff EJ could still get a fair shake here, but why would he want to stay? Especially if we don't give him these last three games.

Edited by Big C