CBS: Rex could be fired, TT benched Monday with loss

NoSaint

When is Whaley going to take responsibility for his failures? Okay, so EJ wasn't on him? Then whose decision was it to trade two first rounders for Sammy Watkins? Whose decision was it to sign Dareus for his ridiculous contract? Why does he have an inability to get along with the coaching staff? Why is it always the coach's fault that his genius picks don't work out? He sure has gotten a lot of mileage for the Hughes trade.

What's with him forcing coaches to play his draft picks? Didn't he want to force Marrone to play EJ? Now he wants Cardale Jones to play? That should be the head coach's decision. And Cardale is a lottery pick. He couldn't stay the starter in college.

:worthy:

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt. If we blow up the staff EJ could still get a fair shake here, but why would he want to stay? Especially if we don't give him these last three games.

I would leave even if just for a true no. 2 spot if I were him. He got screwed by this franchise.

Do we forget how the team looked when EJ was QB compared to Tyrod last year?

I really don't understand this. EJ brought the team back from certain doom against Jacksonville and Cincy was good last year and it wasn't a blowout. EJ was a boss in preseason last year and it looked to my eye that he was the better QB but TT wouldn't turn the ball over as much and that was the way Rex wanted to play ball.

I would leave even if just for a true no. 2 spot if I were him. He got screwed by this franchise.

Once you get derailed odds are he won't truly develop into a starter. I guess Alex smith would be the exception but generally speaking it doesn't happen. I'm fine with the guy staying but have no illusions about him becoming the answer... I'll give him a ton of credit for his enthusiasm even now though

I really don't understand this. EJ brought the team back from certain doom against Jacksonville and Cincy was good last year and it wasn't a blowout. EJ was a boss in preseason last year and it looked to my eye that he was the better QB but TT wouldn't turn the ball over as much and that was the way Rex wanted to play ball.

I am not too confident in Tyrod, but I am trying to recall the last time EJ was able to hit a WR in stride during a regular season game.

When is Whaley going to take responsibility for his failures? Okay, so EJ wasn't on him? Then whose decision was it to trade two first rounders for Sammy Watkins? Whose decision was it to sign Dareus for his ridiculous contract? Why does he have an inability to get along with the coaching staff? Why is it always the coach's fault that his genius picks don't work out? He sure has gotten a lot of mileage for the Hughes trade.

What's with him forcing coaches to play his draft picks? Didn't he want to force Marrone to play EJ? Now he wants Cardale Jones to play? That should be the head coach's decision. And Cardale is a lottery pick. He couldn't stay the starter in college.

Watkins is very very good, but has been hurt. He was not hurt in college, so how could he know and who knows if he will not be injured after his foot heals? In hindsight, there were other great WRs in that draft (OBJ and Mike Evans), so maybe trading the extra 1st was questionable.

The point about EJ is off-base. EJ was supposed to sit and learn as a rookie, Kevin Kolb got hurt and couldn't play. EJ actually wasn't horrid as a rookie, even when they knew whe was not ready to play. In year 2, Orton was not clearly better than Manuel, but Marrone wanted to play the vet. I don't think that Orton played well enough to keep Manuel on the bench, but that is water under the bridge.

Overall, I am comfortable with Whaley's drafting - I think finding a QB IS hard unless the team totally crashes.

TT was Rex's pick, and Rex got everything he wanted in the draft. Whaley's the guy who found Lorax and Zach Brown and TD Mike

Firing Rex and keeping Whaley is so Bills.

Whaley has shown nothing that leads me to believe he can make a good decision in the coaching search. His reported pick is 0-13 this year. I know it's the Browns, but that's not a great sign.

Meanwhile, they passed on Adam Gase, passed on the Shanahan's, passed on Dan Quinn, and passed on Teryl Austin. They liked Frank Reich(was fired the following season as OC of SD), Hue Jackson (0-13 this year; people already saying he won't last long), and Rex.

What a great job.

Oh, and Whaley wanted the new coach to try to work with EJ Manuel and was reportedly very high on him during the coaching interview process.

Edited by BrooklynBills

Watkins is very very good, but has been hurt. He was not hurt in college, so how could he know and who knows if he will not be injured after his foot heals? In hindsight, there were other great WRs in that draft (OBJ and Mike Evans), so maybe trading the extra 1st was questionable.

The point about EJ is off-base. EJ was supposed to sit and learn as a rookie, Kevin Kolb got hurt and couldn't play. EJ actually wasn't horrid as a rookie, even when they knew whe was not ready to play. In year 2, Orton was not clearly better than Manuel, but Marrone wanted to play the vet. I don't think that Orton played well enough to keep Manuel on the bench, but that is water under the bridge.

Overall, I am comfortable with Whaley's drafting - I think finding a QB IS hard unless the team totally crashes.

Yes - and btw, EJ has also been the best pre-season QB on the team two straight years, FWIW.

Not saying he's great - I'm an FSU guy and wasn't thrilled about taking him, but EJ's numbers are extremely solid for a young QB at his stage/# of games.

This is what I think should happen now:

Coming into this week, I said Taylor needed to show he is worth the option, that meant he had to be good in all 4 games. Well today's game I think sealed his fate of not picking up his option and most likely made him the next starting QB of the Browns as he will be the most intriguing QB on the market this off season and they desperately need help.

So, with Taylor's fate most likely decided in the FO, what should they do now? Fire Rex? Play Cardale?

1. DONT fire Rex this week UNLESS he refuses to try another QB, and fire him at end of season instead. There is no value in firing Rex with 3 games to go unless he wont bench Taylor and the FO and Staff want to see what else we have. A good argument could be made about seeing what Lynn could do as an auditor, however, if they truly like Lynn who has risen up the ladder quickly here already this year, then why risk damaging their belief in him by throwing him to the wolves with a team already deflated from missing playoffs. Just give him the reigns at end of season if he is really their guy.

2. Make it EJ time, not Cardale. Cardale was not ready to be a college QB and lost his job, and he almost certainly isn't ready to play in the NFL. So why risk further hurting his confidence by throwing him in for the final games of a team in turmoil with nothing to play for? Let EJ go out and give him the chance to win a job either here or somewhere else in the NFL. Quite frankly, EJ has earned that by being a model citizen, doing everything asked of him, putting in the hours to get better, etc etc. Let him have these 3 games to show if he grew or not, I think he deserves the shot and I dont think Cardale is close to ready. If they like Cardale, let him battle for the job in the offseason with the what is likely the new coaching staff.

Just my cents. Let Rex finish year before firing him and let EJ play for his career the rest of the season since Taylor didn't make the most of his opportunities. He was certainly hurt by injuries this year, but he also left too many opportunities on the field to warrant picking up his option at this point.

I think you are right. IF Rex is fired tomorrow it is most likely because Whaley and him hit an impasse on the QB.

Whaley has shown nothing that leads me to believe he can make a good decision in the coaching search. His reported pick is 0-13 this year. I know it's the Browns, but that's not a great sign.

Meanwhile, they passed on Adam Gase, passed on the Shanahan's, passed on Dan Quinn, and passed on Teryl Austin. They liked Frank Reich(was fired the following season as OC of SD), Hue Jackson (0-13 this year; people already saying he won't last long), and Rex.

What a great job.

Oh, and Whaley wanted the new coach to try to work with EJ Manuel and was reportedly very high on him during the coaching interview process.

Thank you for this.

What a great job.

Exactly.

Yeah! How could anybody be dumb enough to think that EJ Manuel sucks?

After the season, teams will be on line to sign him to a 100 million plus deal. I wish he was still under contract so we could trade him for a couple of first round picks.

I've seen a lot of measured responses on the matter, but it's always the, "he's the worst" guys that seem crazy to me. Explain again just how bad EJ was, I'm all ears.

Put simply, Rex was handed the keys to one of the league's best defenses (that he himself said should have been #1 based on talent) and turned it into mediocre crap.

REX WAS HIRED OVER WHALEY'S OBJECTION. It's not on Whaley. In fact, given that (we hear) that Whaley was opposed to the hire, if I'm the Pegulas I'm doing what Whaley tells me this off-season.

Edited by BobChalmers

Yeah! How could anybody be dumb enough to think that EJ Manuel sucks?

After the season, teams will be on line to sign him to a 100 million plus deal. I wish he was still under contract so we could trade him for a couple of first round picks.

The bitterness is real. Admit you were wrong and all will be forgiven

Put simply, Rex was handed the keys to one of the league's best defenses (that he himself said should have been #1 based on talent) and turned it into mediocre crap.

REX WAS HIRED OVER WHALEY'S OBJECTION. It's not on Whaley. In fact, given that (we hear) that Whaley was opposed to the hire, if I'm the Pegulas I'm doing what Whaley tells me this off-season.

Who did he want? Hue Jackson? Frank Reich? Neither choice has been too impressive since.