Leger Douzable petitions Cuomo to get Uber in Buffalo

YoloinOhio

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yolo, you really should revise your OP to say what Funke really sad...that not having Uber in the Empire State is unthinkable.

Done. Douzable must have misread it and tweeted out that he said it was unthinkable - I think he was ultimately corrected Edited by YoloinOhio

Buffalo got slammed for not having Uber when it hosted the NHL draft. It will be worse if they don't have it by the time the World Juniors comes next year.

I flew from Raleigh to Buffalo in September. I took Uber to the Raleigh airport and a cab from the Buffalo airport to Elmo's on Millersport. Both rides were approximately the same distance.

Raleigh Uber fare: $14

Buffalo cab fare $35

Uber destroys the taxi business everywhere they are. I was in NF, ON for Pats weekend and my friends and I used Uber all night. So convenient and cheap compared to taxi fares. But we could see taxis cluster unused outside of bars while people climbed into Ubers. Can't help to feel bad for people just trying to earn a living.

Let's be frank. Taxis haven't changed since the 50's. You call and wait, or you wave hoping to flag one. The fact you can see where your Uber is on your phone, and pay automatically are HUGE advantages that taxis never bothered to adopt because they never had competition. But let's also be realistic. Once taxis go away, Ubers or Lyfts are going to skyrocket in price. At least they will be convenient.

adapt or die ~ Darwin (sounds good anyway)

Had Uber in Miami for the Bills game weekend ... Driver (Jimmy) gave me his cell. Any time, any hour, we had our own personal driver on call ... the ONE time we tried to get a cab? They said they would call back, none did except one ... 3 hours later (at 4am) ... #uberinnewyournow

Nassau, Suffolk & Westchester carry a lot of weight too.

Again, how could a relatively tiny number of cab owners outside of the city have more muscle than the massive taxi industry in the city? Doesn't make sense.

Are all cabbies unionized in NYS? Are any?

This happens all the time. Governments protect constituencies be they taxi cabs, energy companies or wine producers.

No, unions protect their interests. They protect their members. Sometimes it gets out of control, but the alternative is letting your boss decide how much you make, how long you work or how much danger you have to endure. Remember the 40 hour work week, etc didn't come about because Carnegie or Rockefeller were feeling generous.

Seeing as the overwhelming majority of Americans are not unionized workers, that's exactly what it is like for the rest of us. The market (or the big bad boss, if you prefer) determines your wage/salary.

And what is a 40 hour work week? I don't remember....

Again, how could a relatively tiny number of cab owners outside of the city have more muscle than the massive taxi industry in the city? Doesn't make sense.

Are all cabbies unionized in NYS? Are any?

Seeing as the overwhelming majority of Americans are not unionized workers, that's exactly what it is like for the rest of us. The market (or the big bad boss, if you prefer) determines your wage/salary.

And what is a 40 hour work week? I don't remember....

It's not the cabbies, but the medallion owners who are in bed with the local TLCs. They're ones who push the agenda with NYS legislators. There is zero logical reason why Uber is fine in NYC, but not fine outside the 5 boros, especially since they allow pick ups and drop offs in the outlying counties.

Rest of NYS is screwed by the nanny state.

It's not the cabbies, but the medallion owners who are in bed with the local TLCs. They're ones who push the agenda with NYS legislators. There is zero logical reason why Uber is fine in NYC, but not fine outside the 5 boros, especially since they allow pick ups and drop offs in the outlying counties.

Rest of NYS is screwed by the nanny state.

Medallion cabs are in NYC, not upstate/LI. And these guys (many are multi-millionaires) were beaten back by Uber...in NYC.

So, again how are these local tiny cabbies and there tiny fleets able to influence NYS politicians? In Rochester, they charge $80 to go from the airport to Webster (20-25 min tops) in a crappy old minivan or some dude's '79 Caprice Classic. And if you are in town and want a cab--good luck, it's 20 min or more before they show up.

Buffalo got slammed for not having Uber when it hosted the NHL draft. It will be worse if they don't have it by the time the World Juniors comes next year.

I flew from Raleigh to Buffalo in September. I took Uber to the Raleigh airport and a cab from the Buffalo airport to Elmo's on Millersport. Both rides were approximately the same distance.

Raleigh Uber fare: $14

Buffalo cab fare $35

We took Uber from our house to the Atlanta airport, then a taxi from the airport back home. Same trip, same cost. However, in Nashville I took Uber into town one day and it was about $8 (parking was $12 for the first hour - no brainier!). The next day I got a notice it was peak time, but I accepted and the cost was about $23. Big jump, but more traffic and a peak period - and still worth every penny.

Medallion cabs are in NYC, not upstate/LI. And these guys (many are multi-millionaires) were beaten back by Uber...in NYC.

So, again how are these local tiny cabbies and there tiny fleets able to influence NYS politicians? In Rochester, they charge $80 to go from the airport to Webster (20-25 min tops) in a crappy old minivan or some dude's '79 Caprice Classic. And if you are in town and want a cab--good luck, it's 20 min or more before they show up.

Like to be argumentative huh? Surprise.

It's called a medallion in NYC, a diamond in Nassau, etc. The name doesn't matter. It's all a licensing game that's regulated by county cronies who definitely lose more fees with Uber than they get with regular cabs. The taxi licenses are not owned by individual drivers, but by the companies.

The main reason the taxis lost in NYC is because Kalanick launched a massive Twitter campaign by users who flooded the city officials with complaints if Uber was to be shut down. There's no way city hall was going to stand up to that much popular outrage.

Uber hasn't been able to get the same groundswell of support outside NYC. And it hasn't been for the lack of trying

I live in Atlanta. If it's a big night out, I don't mess with a potential DUI. Uber into Buckhead is $15 or less, the cost of a glass of wine or two. Be smart people. Hope WNY gets this fixed. I have a good friend who drives for Uber, and he loves the interaction and extra money. Win/win.

Where are you Ubering from to get to Buckhead for $15.00

the platform lends itself to competition. even if taxis disappear as long as you have both uber and lyft there is incentive for them to price well. ive seen the competition level bump up a lot when the second ride share service comes to a few different cities. suddenly instead of just being better than the junk taxi service they need to be better than a real peer (more discounts offered, specials/coupons, etc...) it dilutes a little bit as they are competing for drivers though and ive noticed the quality of car/driver is a little more inconsistent which i assume is trying to make sure they have enough volume.

the self driving car developments are so cool when you think about the potential

I ain't riding in a driverless car, and I sure as hell ain't paying for one.

I ain't riding in a driverless car, and I sure as hell ain't paying for one.

I am surmising you're on old guy.

...But let's also be realistic. Once taxis go away, Ubers or Lyfts are going to skyrocket in price. At least they will be convenient.

If taxis are gone, then Uber & Lyft are competitors. If their prices rise too much, then another ride-sharing company comes in to compete.