Leger Douzable petitions Cuomo to get Uber in Buffalo

YoloinOhio

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/14/bills-leger-douzable-need-uber-buffalo-asap/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1479161667

Buffalo is the only NFL city not to have Uber. Senator Funke responded saying that not having Uber in the Empire State is unthinkable.

Ridiculous in 2016.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uber destroys the taxi business everywhere they are. I was in NF, ON for Pats weekend and my friends and I used Uber all night. So convenient and cheap compared to taxi fares. But we could see taxis cluster unused outside of bars while people climbed into Ubers. Can't help to feel bad for people just trying to earn a living.

Let's be frank. Taxis haven't changed since the 50's. You call and wait, or you wave hoping to flag one. The fact you can see where your Uber is on your phone, and pay automatically are HUGE advantages that taxis never bothered to adopt because they never had competition. But let's also be realistic. Once taxis go away, Ubers or Lyfts are going to skyrocket in price. At least they will be convenient.

Uber destroys the taxi business everywhere they are. I was in NF, ON for Pats weekend and my friends and I used Uber all night. So convenient and cheap compared to taxi fares. But we could see taxis cluster unused outside of bars while people climbed into Ubers. Can't help to feel bad for people just trying to earn a living.

Let's be frank. Taxis haven't changed since the 50's. You call and wait, or you wave hoping to flag one. The fact you can see where your Uber is on your phone, and pay automatically are HUGE advantages that taxis never bothered to adopt because they never had competition. But let's also be realistic. Once taxis go away, Ubers or Lyfts are going to skyrocket in price. At least they will be convenient.

Well computers also destroyed the typewriter business.

Life goes on.

Just the fact that there is already Uber and Lyft means there's more competition than taxi's used to have. Now, the variation in pricing is an issue. I was in Nashville a few weeks ago and Uber cost me $8 to get into town. Parking was $12 for the first hour, so a no-brainer. The next time was peak time, which was more like $23 into town. Yikes! They warn you, but I think cabs have an advantage in that respect.

Well computers also destroyed the typewriter business.

Life goes on.

Who misses the slide rule? Edited by Augie

I know a lot of people in the suburbs who would love to take an Uber to downtown Buffalo, drink, then Uber it back home.

But since they don't want to deal with cabs, they just don't go downtown at all. That sucks and we need to fix it.

I know a lot of people in the suburbs who would love to take an Uber to downtown Buffalo, drink, then Uber it back home.

But since they don't want to deal with cabs, they just don't go downtown at all. That sucks and we need to fix it.

I live in Atlanta. If it's a big night out, I don't mess with a potential DUI. Uber into Buckhead is $15 or less, the cost of a glass of wine or two. Be smart people. Hope WNY gets this fixed. I have a good friend who drives for Uber, and he loves the interaction and extra money. Win/win.

I live in Atlanta. If it's a big night out, I don't mess with a potential DUI. Uber into Buckhead is $15 or less, the cost of a glass of wine or two. Be smart people. Hope WNY gets this fixed. I have a good friend who drives for Uber, and he loves the interaction and extra money. Win/win.

Exactly.

Uber is amazing.

Wife and I frequently uber to local bars. $5 each way (yeh its close but not very walkable) and we are free to drink As much as we want with zero worries of dui.

There's a very nice shopping /dining center about 1.5 miles from us, but it's across a major highway so it's not a friendly walk. I get where you're coming from. For a few dollars, you can be risk free. We have a son who went off the tracks for a while, but is now my hero. His 2 DUI's cost tens of thousands of dollars (each). He now helps people who were in the bad place he was, but we learned how horrible and expensive a moment of poor judgement can be. Uber takes all that out of the equation. Great stuff!

Did not know buffalo lacked uber. Last time I was home I just thought there was nothing in the area as I was in the sticks.

Considering the extreme punishment for driving with a couple beers in you, the distances to pubs, and exorbitant taxi fares, uber is a must in the area.

When I was a youngster in Clarence, there were bars every quarter mile down main street. Even a strip club, named mama g's.

DUI laws killed the pub culture in the burbs. Replaced with TV, the safest drug of them all.

Uber would be great for the local economy. Taxi companies have had their time and failed to be reasonable.

Edited by billsintaiwan

Uber rates are almost identical to cab rates. We take Uber to the airport, and taxi back because Uber is not supposed to pick up at the Atlanta airport. The cost is almost identical. The enormous difference is in convenience. They will find me at whatever restaurant I'm leaving, I know what car to look for, who the driver will be, and I can just get out and walk.....no paying or tipping delays.

The difference is in peak periods. If I can get into town one time for $8, it might be $20+ the next.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/14/bills-leger-douzable-need-uber-buffalo-asap/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1479161667

Buffalo is the only NFL city not to have Uber. Senator Funke responded saying that Uber in the Empire State is unthinkable.

Ridiculous in 2016.

Yolo that quote makes it sound like Senator Funke is against ride sharing, but he is in fact one of it's biggest supporters.

And he's right, it's ridiculous.

Just the fact that there is already Uber and Lyft means there's more competition than taxi's used to have. Now, the variation in pricing is an issue. I was in Nashville a few weeks ago and Uber cost me $8 to get into town. Parking was $12 for the first hour, so a no-brainer. The next time was peak time, which was more like $23 into town. Yikes! They warn you, but I think cabs have an advantage in that respect.

Who misses the slide rule?

My other half.

Could not agree with Douzable more on this one - as someone who travels all the time, I find Uber to be more convenient and typically much less expensive. Definitely watch that surge pricing though!

Back home a cab to the airport with tip, etc. is like $20, an Uber is $12. In Cali I took a trip from Long Beach to Newport Beach (about a 45 minute drive) and it was only $29. It was like $50 to go from the Buffalo airport to downtown for the opener, which seems crazy to me (and I almost took a cab to the game - another $100 hit, I'm sure). Heck, I'm typing this in Bucharest Romania right now and they have Uber HERE - if its good enough for Bucharest, it's good enough for Buffalo, I always say.

Granted I have been lost a couple times and had bad drivers, but got refunds on the trips. And I've also had some awful cab drivers too, to be fair.

Regarding Uber killing cab companies, what it's killing is the expensive infrastructure - they don't own the cars, they don't pay the upkeep, they don't pay insurance on massive fleets of vehicles, etc.

Please, PLEASE bring Uber to Buffalo!