Leger Douzable petitions Cuomo to get Uber in Buffalo

YoloinOhio

Uber destroys the taxi business everywhere they are.

When I saw this article a few days ago, I was stunned that Buffalo would not permit Uber, which simply tells me the union holds the council in check.

It's time for taxi companies to compete or die away. Or they can follow the Eastman Kodak model, I suppose.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw this article a few days ago, I was stunned that Buffalo would not permit Uber, which simply tells me the union holds the council in check.

It's time for taxi companies to compete or die away. Or they can follow the Eastman Kodak model, I suppose.

I'm glad the horse and buggy people and the slide rule folks didn't have a lot of political clout.

I'm glad the horse and buggy people and the slide rule folks didn't have a lot of political clout.

You know what's ridiculous?

Low cost is not the only reason Uber is successful. It's important, but the sizzle is the app (so you can see where your car is, who is driving it, when it's going to be there, driver rating, etc.), PLUS he ability to get in, get out, and not have to reach for your wallet, of have them break out the old credit card slide machine crap.

If the taxi companies would just do the self-billing app portion instead of making people stand around waiting for a taxi to come by or make a phone call, they'd get more business.

But hey...momma don't take my Kodachrome away.

You know what's ridiculous?

Low cost is not the only reason Uber is successful. It's important, but the sizzle is the app (so you can see where your car is, who is driving it, when it's going to be there, driver rating, etc.), PLUS he ability to get in, get out, and not have to reach for your wallet, of have them break out the old credit card slide machine crap.

If the taxi companies would just do the self-billing app portion instead of making people stand around waiting for a taxi to come by or make a phone call, they'd get more business.

But hey...momma don't take my Kodachrome away.

totally agree. It's just so damn easy and convenient.

totally agree. It's just so damn easy and convenient.

The ease of use is more important to me than the cost, by far. During peak periods it's probably MORE expensive (because taxis don't have the ability to adjust), but I use Uber anyway. In Atlanta and Nashville I don't think I've ever waited more than about 5 minutes. Call a cab, good luck! And just jumping out and going is such a treat!

At the tailgate met an awesome guy who's name escapes me, CountryCletus' friend... He lost a bet and had to do Uber in LA for a month. Said he made over $300 his first week just doing it a few hours here and there.

Hes james loftens nephew nut I am embarrassed I can t remember his name.... Dafuq

Buffalo got slammed for not having Uber when it hosted the NHL draft. It will be worse if they don't have it by the time the World Juniors comes next year.

I flew from Raleigh to Buffalo in September. I took Uber to the Raleigh airport and a cab from the Buffalo airport to Elmo's on Millersport. Both rides were approximately the same distance.

Raleigh Uber fare: $14

Buffalo cab fare $35

uber in rdu is among the best I've ever experienced

At the tailgate met an awesome guy who's name escapes me, CountryCletus' friend... He lost a bet and had to do Uber in LA for a month. Said he made over $300 his first week just doing it a few hours here and there.

Hes james loftens nephew nut I am embarrassed I can t remember his name.... Dafuq

one of my Uber drivers told me he made 2000 in one day during a home OSU game. Edited by YoloinOhio

I couldn't care less if I take a taxi or uber or whatever, in DC it's roughly the same price... the big thing for me is, I can pull up an app and get a ride with Uber, no problem. Whereas a taxi, I've called before, and they don't arrive... and then its a crap shoot depending on where you are to wave one down. Apparently the taxi companies have a similar Uber like app now, but I feel like its too late.

You Atlanta guys ever try Lyft?

Yes. Lyft and Uber drivers are generally the same people.

I go to Uber first, and if it wants to charge me a premium rate for whatever reason, I go to Lyft, and they are usually a few beats behind the reason there is a premium charge.

Yes. Lyft and Uber drivers are generally the same people.

I go to Uber first, and if it wants to charge me a premium rate for whatever reason, I go to Lyft, and they are usually a few beats behind the reason there is a premium charge.

Now that makes some sense for having both.

Like to be argumentative huh? Surprise.

It's called a medallion in NYC, a diamond in Nassau, etc. The name doesn't matter. It's all a licensing game that's regulated by county cronies who definitely lose more fees with Uber than they get with regular cabs. The taxi licenses are not owned by individual drivers, but by the companies.

The main reason the taxis lost in NYC is because Kalanick launched a massive Twitter campaign by users who flooded the city officials with complaints if Uber was to be shut down. There's no way city hall was going to stand up to that much popular outrage.

Uber hasn't been able to get the same groundswell of support outside NYC. And it hasn't been for the lack of trying

Not arguing. I'm well aware that in NYC, the owner of the medallion is the owner of the cab/license. I've been saying this in several posts. That large group of wealthy individuals, despite a formidable lobby and lots of money, could not defeat a twitter campaign.

The groundswell of support outside of NYC/LI for Uber is not because of some powerful suburban/small city cabal of "medallion/diamond" owners (doesn't exist), it's because the demand for Uber outside of NYC is miniscule. Everyone with a car drives themselves. The demand for cabs and Uber or any car service in Buffalo/Rochester/LI is almost nonexistent compared to the city, which is dependent on hired driving.

It is as you alluded to: the demand is what won the day for Uber in NYC. Demand, if it grows, will do the same in the rest of the state. Some Buffalo or Rochester state legislature member getting a few thousand bucks from...who?, "the powerful upstate cab lobby"? won't sway a politician with thousands of constituents screaming at him/her for Uber.

That demand isn't significant yet.