Leger Douzable petitions Cuomo to get Uber in Buffalo

YoloinOhio

Rapes, assaults, Hammer attacks, Robberies... In London alone there were 32 incidents of sexual assaults by Uber drivers in ONE YEAR!

Keep your friggin' cookies and snacks... I got plenty at the house... I'll suffer the markup of a shady cabby a thousand times, before risking my life in some weirdo's car.

The article I read on the stats said that 32 was only 20% of the reported assaults in the broader cab service industry (so 120ish via cab/livery).

London uber also claims identical background checks and screening to cab service. They do however point to all their rides being fully GPS tracked as one of the advantages for crime issues compared to London cabs.

I won't claim to be an expert in londons uber but that's what popped up in the first article I read about your example. I'm not too concerned about a mint and water bottle- I will underscore again that I think the cars and drivers are both generally as safe or safer in any city I've experienced both in with any regularity.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah... But with a chauffer's license, a vehicle number, Photograph and ID of the driver posted on the dash, a phone number of a dispatcher to call if the guy harms you in any way, and Proof of proper insurance clipped to the sun visor.... -I DO NOT Uber, and won't be anytime soon... Their BS disclaimer says it all...

UBER DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE QUALITY, SUITABILITY, SAFETY OR ABILITY OF THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS. YOU AGREE THAT THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, AND ANY SERVICE OR GOOD REQUESTED IN CONNECTION THEREWITH, REMAINS SOLELY WITH YOU, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

And..

UBER SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING … PERSONAL INJURY, OR PROPERTY DAMAGE RELATED TO, IN CONNECTION WITH, OR OTHERWISE RESULTING FROM ANY USE OF THE SERVICES, EVEN IF UBER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Make sure you stay away from Dihydrogen Monoxide.

The article I read on the stats said that 32 was only 20% of the reported assaults in the broader cab service industry (so 120ish via cab/livery).

London uber also claims identical background checks and screening to cab service. They do however point to all their rides being fully GPS tracked as one of the advantages for crime issues compared to London cabs.

I won't claim to be an expert in londons uber but that's what popped up in the first article I read about your example. I'm not too concerned about a mint and water bottle- I will underscore again that I think the cars and drivers are both generally as safe or safer in any city I've experienced both in with any regularity.

A drunk Uber driver near my home T-Boned a guy, flipping his vehicle on it's side... He decided it'd be a good idea to run away rather than wait for the cops... His Passengers were left in the vehicle for emergency services to deal with... Just last night some guy pretending to be an Uber got arrested for Sexual assault on a passenger... The frequency of these crimes is astounding... I'd feel safer dealing with a licensed, professional, driver no matter how limited his conversation skills are...

Edited by #34fan

Not arguing. I'm well aware that in NYC, the owner of the medallion is the owner of the cab/license. I've been saying this in several posts. That large group of wealthy individuals, despite a formidable lobby and lots of money, could not defeat a twitter campaign.

The groundswell of support outside of NYC/LI for Uber is not because of some powerful suburban/small city cabal of "medallion/diamond" owners (doesn't exist), it's because the demand for Uber outside of NYC is miniscule. Everyone with a car drives themselves. The demand for cabs and Uber or any car service in Buffalo/Rochester/LI is almost nonexistent compared to the city, which is dependent on hired driving.

It is as you alluded to: the demand is what won the day for Uber in NYC. Demand, if it grows, will do the same in the rest of the state. Some Buffalo or Rochester state legislature member getting a few thousand bucks from...who?, "the powerful upstate cab lobby"? won't sway a politician with thousands of constituents screaming at him/her for Uber.

That demand isn't significant yet.

You're only thinking of direct political contributions, as opposed to levies & fees that the local TLCs get from the taxi companies that they don't get from Uber.

One example - in many cities Verifone provides the credit card swipes in the taxis along with a convenience fee of 8% and a surcharge. Much of that fee goes to the TLC. Cabbies hate it, but that's the monopoly game. With Uber, there's no similar fee that gets paid to the TLC and cabbies and consumers aren't gouged for a simple credit card transaction.

I don't buy the lack of interest in Buffalo & Rochester as the reason, since many smaller cities do allow Uber. Buffalo & Rochester get the short end because they reside in a nanny state where the pols don't want to lose a revenue stream, and there isn't enough consumer blowback. The other states with similar demographics as Buffalo & Rochester didn't care enough to put up stupid roadblocks.

A drunk Uber driver near my home T-Boned a guy, flipping his vehicle on it's side... He decided it'd be a good idea to run away rather than wait for the cops... His Passengers were left in the vehicle for emergency services to deal with... Just last night some guy pretending to be an Uber got arrested for Sexual assault on a passenger... The frequency of these crimes is astounding... I'd feel safer dealing with a licensed, professional, driver no matter how limited his conversation skills are...

if you are going to keep looping around to snacks and conversation skills, and using individual anecdotes in response to me trying to round out the data around some of the points... well, you have your mind made up, and i have no motivation or incentive to change it.

im not affiliated with uber or lyft or any capacity the transportation industry, so i have nothing to gain here other than an enjoyable or educational conversation (i actually think the topic is really interesting) but it seems thats not going to happen. if you have stats on things like accident rates or crime rates comparatively between the two services that would be much more interesting than an individual accident you heard about.

Edited by NoSaint

It's less than half the costs. I'll take my chances. And mmmmmmmmmmmmm......snacks. :rolleyes:

if you are going to keep looping around to snacks and conversation skills, and using individual anecdotes in response to me trying to round out the data around some of the points... well, you have your mind made up, and i have no motivation or incentive to change it.

im not affiliated with uber or lyft or any capacity the transportation industry, so i have nothing to gain here other than an enjoyable or educational conversation (i actually think the topic is really interesting) but it seems thats not going to happen. if you have stats on things like accident rates or crime rates comparatively between the two services that would be much more interesting than an individual accident you heard about.

If you feel it's a service you'll continue using, then I'll let you do your own homework... Everything I've seen, heard, and witnessed tells me to stay the hell away..... I hope your future Uber trips are safe, and uneventful...

http://ktla.com/2016/06/21/leimert-park-man-says-he-was-threatened-by-uber-driver-in-dispute-over-cellphone/

If you feel it's a service you'll continue using, then I'll let you do your own homework... Everything I've seen, heard, and witnessed tells me to stay the hell away..... I hope your future Uber trips are safe, and uneventful...

http://ktla.com/2016/06/21/leimert-park-man-says-he-was-threatened-by-uber-driver-in-dispute-over-cellphone/

How many Uber rides have you taken?

That's an unfair question. Clearly they are unsafe because......of something.

(Actually, I've stated this earlier but there may be some drivers who lack the required rider on their insurance - I may know of one - but it doesn't stop me for a second.)

On a related note, I don't like almond milk. I refuse to try it on those grounds.

That's an unfair question. Clearly they are unsafe because......of something.

(Actually, I've stated this earlier but there may be some drivers who lack the required rider on their insurance - I may know of one - but it doesn't stop me for a second.)

Ugh!... What a bunch of tight-wad, free-funyun-and-twizzler-loving, hippies.... GET A FREAKING CAB LIKE REGULAR GROWNUP... -That free pillow given by your Uber driver? -That's for you to BITE ON later, knuckleheads... :nana:

Ugh!... What a bunch of tight-wad, free-funyun-and-twizzler-loving, hippies.... GET A FREAKING CAB LIKE REGULAR GROWNUP... -That free pillow given by your Uber driver? -That's for you to BITE ON later, knuckleheads... :nana:

I choose Uber mostly for convenience. They arrive quickly and they are way ahead of the taxi industry regarding technology (as in....they use it). Why would I punish myself using an inferior product? To prove what point? Hey, if I'm in a big city and a taxi is right there, I jump in. If I have to order transportation, I'm NOT calling for a cab.

I choose Uber mostly for convenience. They arrive quickly and they are way ahead of the taxi industry regarding technology (as in....they use it). Why would I punish myself using an inferior product? To prove what point? Hey, if I'm in a big city and a taxi is right there, I jump in. If I have to order transportation, I'm NOT calling for a cab.

Just curious... Do you also use airBnB? -Rent a room in some strange person's house as a cheap means of lodging?

Just curious... Do you also use airBnB? -Rent a room in some strange person's house as a cheap means of lodging?

I never have, but my sister is on her way to a place she got for thanksgiving (she's got the entire house on a lake). I have not, but would I? Probably, if it made sense. But not just a room, most likely. How is that different from a Bed and Breakfast? I've stayed in some B&B's that are absolutely lovely. If it makes sense, why would I not be open to it? Do your homework to be sure it's not a rat trap. I have news for you, some stranger slept in your bed at the Ritz the night before.

Actually, we have stayed at an airBnB property. Friends own it and we went direct through them, but it's the same house people rent thru airBnB. They paid $1.6 million for it on the water on Siesta Key, FL. We had a lovely week and would do it again in a heartbeat. Why would you be hung up on that?

I never have, but my sister is on her way to a place she got for thanksgiving (she's got the entire house on a lake). I have not, but would I? Probably, if it made sense. But not just a room, most likely. How is that different from a Bed and Breakfast? I've stayed in some B&B's that are absolutely lovely. If it makes sense, why would I not be open to it? Do your homework to be sure it's not a rat trap. I have news for you, some stranger slept in your bed at the Ritz the night before.

Actually, we have stayed at an airBnB property. Friends own it and we went direct through them, but it's the same house people rent thru airBnB. They paid $1.6 million for it on the water on Siesta Key, FL. We had a lovely week and would do it again in a heartbeat. Why would you be hung up on that?

So, no you don't rent rooms in people's homes, (one of airBnB's primary service agreements) but you do rent the entire home as a vacation rental....

I rent homes when I travel all the time. Not a single room. What is you point?

Why not? it's cheap.... 34 bucks a night on Airbnb... I imagine there's snacks to be had there too..

So, no you don't rent rooms in people's homes, (one of airBnB's primary service agreements) but you do rent the entire home as a vacation rental....

Why not? it's cheap.... 34 bucks a night on Airbnb... I imagine there's snacks to be had there too..

Did you read my entire response? I've already answered your question. (I have not done a single room, but would if it made sense. We have done an entire house. The quality of the experience would be what drives my decision.)

Now, here's a better question: what does this have to do with Uber?

Actually, some of the B&B's I've stayed at could be considered the same thing (a room in someone's house), but it was never through airB&B. I've had some wonderful experiences with that, especially in Charelston, SC. I used to pay a little extra for the upgrade over the decent but not luxury hotel the bank would pay when there on business. Sometimes it's worth treating yourself.

Have you ever stayed at a B&B? (Without the air.)