Worst MNF ratings in 9 years

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how you approach neutral party football games.

I personally don't care about records or markets...I just want to see a good game.

So I will usually give a game a shot if I am in the mood to watch football and see how it goes.

If the game is one sided or a boring punt fest, I'll pull the plug quickly.

If it's a good game like the Bills/Seahawks, I'll keep watching.

That was a good game that should have appealed to a ton of neutral party fans.

And those two tuned in were treated to another production debacle by the NFL, in the form of horrendous and obvious officiating mistakes that (for many of us) ruined the product. I know WEO will chime in with a dour, Cris Collinsworth-like, "that's just ridiculous" take, but IMO the product is not what it used to be and fans have taken notice.

Both Bills prime time games this year were arguably two of the more entertaining games of the season....definitely for night games.

So from what I'm reading in this thread, sounds like a lot of people think ratings will only be good if about 5 teams are involved,,,,Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England, Dallas,,and maybe Denver.

I call B.S. Ratings are down across the board, for everyone, in comparison to years past.

Both Bills prime time games this year were arguably two of the more entertaining games of the season....definitely for night games.

So from what I'm reading in this thread, sounds like a lot of people think ratings will only be good if about 5 teams are involved,,,,Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England, Dallas,,and maybe Denver.

I call B.S. Ratings are down across the board, for everyone, in comparison to years past.

You really believe it doesn't matter which teams played Monday night--that it would still have been the lowest rated game in 9 years? That's what's being discussed here specifically.

I have been watching football for over 40 years. MNF certainly does not have the same appeal that it did in the 70's and 80's when it was an event every Monday nite on ABC. Now it is kind of just another game to finish off that week of football. I usually watch because it is football, and I love watching football. I can watch any two teams if the game is competitive. (Even Jacksonville v Tennessee) But the problem is there is too many nites of NFL football. The matchups on Thursday nite usually blow. This week we have Cleveland vs Baltimore! Why?? There is no need for Thursday nite NFL football. It is NOT NECESSARY! There are not enuf good matchups to go around. So it becomes a non factor event. Was anyone really interested in the Miami-Cincinnati or Arizona-San Francisco matchups? I didn't think so. It is not compelling football or entertainment for that matter.

Thursday nite should be reserved for College Football. There are always compelling matchups available in College Football because there are so many teams. And for the most part, the game is a lot more exciting then the NFL. I am a huge college football fan, as is just about everyone in the Southeast and Midwest. I love watching the Bills (yes it can be painful, but I am addicted) and have not missed a game since 1994. But taking out the Bills and University of Michigan my alma mater, if you give me a full slate of college vs pro games, and say watch one group of games. I am going college. The games and matchups are just more exciting and compelling on the whole. And lets not forget the Goodell factor. The man is ruining the NFL. How many more players will he suspend for smoking weed? What is he going to do with the spread of legalization? God bless that!! What say you all?

I felt like going into last weekend the football games in general were going to be anti-clamatic after that amazing World Series finale and thats how I felt about watching football on Sunday, of course I watched the Bills game but I could see how that game got lost in the shuffle for casual fans/Non Bills/Seahawks fans with it being sandwiched in betweeen what some are saying the greatest World Series of all time and the Election the following night

Welp, people missed a hell of a game (precursor to Tuesday night's action).

I'm fully over non-Sunday football - Monday Night and especially Thursday Night football can go, as far as I'm concerned.

Back in the day, when there were way less entertainment options, MNF made sense - nice way to ease in the week, didn't get in the way of bowling league night, was a good excuse to put the kids to bed so you could have the one TV in the house (that you had to WALK UP TO to change the channels) and it was likely the only good show on the 12 channels that you had.

Now everyone is so busy, has so many entertainment options, that MNF just gets lost in the shuffle unless it's YOUR team. I almost never watch MNF / TNF beyond maybe a few plays, I just don't care if it's not Buffalo.

IMO, they should just give more networks more games on Sunday and get rid of both. Or at least please, PLEASE get rid of TNF - bad for fans and the teams!

I'm surprised the ratings were low. Even if people originally weren't drawn to the matchup, a lot of people are on social media constantly and if there is a buzz about a game on Twitter than they turn it on and would stick with it since it was entertaining. And there was a ton of buzz on twitter the entire game.

Maybe had something to do with being the night before Election Day.

Edited by YoloinOhio

In all fairness we have an America whose culture and tastes are changing. Soccer is exploding and meanwhile football with all it's dark injury history is becoming unwatchable.

Not to get political but this is last point in American history where I'm ready to say that the soft Euro game of soccer is ready to take over a true American game. The SEC and college football is alive and well. If you watched the MNF game you saw the problem. The crooked officials and league have made the game unwatchable. The officials from Monday's game get a strike on their report card, no fine or anything more. The league wants to alter the game to favor teams like the Seahawks and Pats. That's why people aren't watching. No one wants to see Cam Newton get beaten all game while you can't breathe on Brady. The blatant favoritism and poor officiating needs to stop.

If you don't have a favorite team or play fantasy football there is nothing to watch. Soccer is not the problem. Pro football is it's own worst enemy. As Americans we do want to be part of sport globalization. We want our own American sports. Soccer is huge on the coasts, but everyone in between wants football. As far as injuries are concerned I believe that people want to be entertained. I don't believe for one second that we've become such a empathetic society so concerned about the health of players that we won't watch the game anymore. These guys are compensated nicely for what they do. We'd probably see less injuries anyway if the NFL took PED testing seriously. All the blame falls on the NFL. Not soccer, or player health concerns.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

About time! they act like they're doing me a favor when they cut right to the action after a kickoff.

NCAA football has fewer breaks/commercials and its a far better watch. I also like the big bands, and the drummers, the extra noise.

Seattle - with a population of about 3.7 million - is the 15th biggest metro area in the US. How is that small market?

Seattle is bigger than these NFL cities: Minneapolis, San Diego, Tampa, Denver, St. Louis, Baltimore, Charlotte, Pittsburg, Cinci, KC, Cleveland, Indy, Nashville, Jacksonville, NOLA, Buffalo, Green Bay. And Oakland if you separate Oakland and the East Bay metro area from the San Francisco/peninsula metro area which has its own team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Thank you. Seattle is far from a small market, regional maybe but not small.

!@#$ MNF

!@#$ the NFL

What about Taylor Swift?