gr8billsfan

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And there we have it. Carpenter made this FG before the clock runs off and adds 5 yards to the kick.

On NFL Network, @DeanBlandino confirms officials should have reset play clock before Bills’ delay of game at end of first half.

And they admitted to not calling uneccessary roughness on Sherman the play before. Brilliant, back to back missed calls. Thanks, means a lot not !@#$ers.

I know that. Those were two different responses to two different posts.

Yeah after your other response, I reread what you wrote. Contact ok until ball in the air after going out of the pocket makes sense, I just think labeling Powell was a penalty. Not sure the rule for contact to be okay was meant for punishing a WR by launching yourself at him.

Edited by What a Tuel

Facts yo....

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso 47s47 seconds ago

Sherman's hit on Powell came on a solid second before Tyrod threw the pass. He was standing on the edge of the tackle box when hit occurred.

WGR 550 Retweeted Nate Geary

This is true.

Nate Geary @NateGearyWGR

I'm unsure why people are saying the Sherman play was a legal play. If he remains a passer, he can't take down a receiver. Plain and simple.

Yeah after your other response, I reread what you wrote. Contact ok until ball in the air after going out of the pocket makes sense, I just think labeling Powell was a penalty. Not sure the rule for contact to be okay was meant for punishing a WR by launching yourself at him.

There is no question that it's a penalty or it would be like WWF whenever a QB rolled out. It's stupid to even discuss

Those refs had no clue what uneccessary roughness is, or how to reset the play clock, so how would they know what the illegal contact rule is? Its a complex rule, but it was totally illegal by Sherman. Powell is still a wide receiver no matter where Tyrod is behind the LOS.

Walt Anderson's comments to a Seattle reporter after the game...

https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/795866665938337792

So he's basically admitting to being an idiot.

Walt Anderson's comments to a Seattle reporter after the game...

https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/795866665938337792

This is infuriating.

"If there was a little time left, then that's probably a mistake on my part in terms of not pumping the play clock back up. But, I was not aware that it was that far into the play clock"

WTF. You couldn't stand around and talk about it with your god damn buddies and say

Ref #1 - "Gee that 25 seconds went by rather quickly...."

Ref #2 - "Yeah, it did I just barely got enough time to place the ball"

Nope.

Ref #3 - "Delay of game Buffalo"

Edited by What a Tuel

YardsPerPass.com ‏@YardsPerPass 4m4 minutes ago

re: the last play contact once the QB leaves the pocket is ok... but that is clearly the defenseless player rule

Care to point out the part of the rule that qualifies?

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defenseless-player/

Also Woods was shoved off of his route before TT left the pocket...watch the full play again. Don't get me started on Avril being offsides on his sack too

I would if someone would post a link to the whole play.

I would if someone would post a link to the whole play.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016110700/2016/REG9/bills@seahawks#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000735899&tab=recap

1:20 seconds in. Not sure if it has the angle you want.

Here's a better one:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/11/8/13560260/richard-sherman-bills-illegal-contact-walter-powell

Edited by What a Tuel

This is infuriating.

"If there was a little time left, then that's probably a mistake on my part in terms of not pumping the play clock back up. But, I was not aware that it was that far into the play clock"

WTF. You couldn't stand around and talk about it with your god damn buddies and say

Ref #1 - "Gee that 25 seconds went by rather quickly...."

Ref #2 - "Yeah, it did I just barely got enough time to place the ball"

Nope.

Ref #3 - "Delay of game Buffalo"

This is one reason why the game sucks. Honestly if it wasn't for my lifelong history, memories etc with the Bills - I would probably never watch this sport anymore. This is just so unacceptable on so many levels I don't even know where to begin...

And mistake number 3 was Cliff Avril being offside on final play of game, and not to mention Sherman destroying the WR in endzone 35 yards away from the play. Just blows my mind.

Not sure why you think Avril was offsides. I just rewatched the play 5 times and I can't see that at all.

I did. In fact I posted the rule. What part of the rule don't you understand?

So why doesn't every single DB do that every time QB leaves the pocket? What Sherman did was not legal period. QB's leave the pocket all the time, if a WR is interfered with, it's a penalty.

A few edits to clean this up...

First off; this fits perfectly into what Landry did to A Williams and was missed...

Secondly:

If the quarterback or the receiver of the snap demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball (i.e., hands off or pitches the ball to another player, throws a forward or backward pass, loses possession of the ball by a muff that touches the ground or a fumble, or if he is tackled) the restrictions on the defensive team prohibiting illegal contact, or an illegal cut block, against an eligible receiver will end, and a defensive player is permitted to use his hands, arms, or body to push, pull, or ward off an offensive receiver, pursuant to Rule 12, Section 1, Article 5. If the quarterback leaves the pocket area with the ball in his possession, the restrictions on illegal contact and an illegal cut block both end, but the restriction on defensive holding remains in effect.

Article 3. Illegal Contact Beyond Five-Yard Zone

Beyond the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender cannot initiate contact with a receiver who is attempting to evade him. A defender may use his hands or arms only to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver.

Note: If a defender contacts a receiver within the five-yard zone and maintains contact with him, he must release the receiver as they exit the five-yard zone. If the defender maintains contact beyond five yards, it is illegal contact.

Penalty: For illegal contact by the defense: Loss of five yards and automatic first down.

Also one could make the case that the illegal contact was pass interference:

Edit:

Article 2. Prohibited Acts by both teams while the ball is in the air

Acts that are include, but are not limited to:

1. Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch.
  2. Playing through the back of an opponent in an attempt to make a play on the ball.
  3. Grabbing an opponent’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.
  4. Extending an arm across the body of an opponent, thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, and regardless of whether the player committing such act is playing the ball.
  5. Cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball.
  6. Hooking an opponent in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the opponent’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.
  7. Initiating contact with an opponent by shoving or pushing off, thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

I will also add in unnecessary roughness:

Article 6. Unnecessary Roughness

There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to:

1. Using the foot or any part of the leg to strike an opponent with a whipping motion (leg whip);
  2. forcibly contacting a runner when he is out of bounds;

Note: Defensive players must make an effort to avoid contact. Players on defense are responsible for knowing when a runner has crossed the boundary line, except in doubtful cases where he might step on a boundary line and continue parallel with it.

1. a player of the receiving team who has gone out of bounds and blocks a kicking team player out of bounds during the kick. If this occurs on a kick from scrimmage, post-possession rules will apply if appropriate (9-5-1);
  2. running, diving into, or throwing the body against or on a runner whose forward progress has been stopped, who has slid feet first, or who has declared himself down by going to the ground untouched and has made no attempt to advance (see 7-2-1-a, d);
  3. running, diving into, or throwing the body against or on any player on the ground either before or after the ball is dead;
  4. throwing the runner to the ground after the ball is dead;
  5. unnecessarily running, diving into, cutting, or throwing the body against or on a player who (1) is out of the play or (2) should not have reasonably anticipated such contact by an opponent, before or after the ball is dead;
  6. a kicker/punter, who is standing still or fading backward after the ball has been kicked, is out of the play and must not be unnecessarily contacted by the receiving team through the end of the down or until he assumes a distinctly defensive position. However, a kicker/punter is a defenseless player through the conclusion of the down (see 12-2-7-7)
  7. using any part of a player’s helmet or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily; or
  8. grabbing a helmet opening of an opponent and forcibly twisting, turning, or pulling his head.

Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down.

Edited by Reed83HOF

Facts yo....

I'm unsure why people are saying the Sherman play was a legal play. If he remains a passer, he can't take down a receiver. Plain and simple.

There is no question that it's a penalty or it would be like WWF whenever a QB rolled out. It's stupid to even discuss

The Rule:

Beyond the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender cannot initiate contact with a receiver who is attempting to evade him. A defender may use his hands or arms only to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver.

Once the QB leaves the pocket the defenders are free to hit the receivers.

Seems this game was never going to go our way.

Sherman blew up Powell on our final play. Sherman tries to blow out the ACL of our kicker. Sherman taunts our coach, no unsportsmanlike penalty for taunting, while Robert Woods extends a ball after a first down and is flagged. On more than one McCoy run he is given an unfavorable spot. Glenn is called for kicking, but their LT puts his hands on our pass rushers facemask on nearly every rush.

After the game, Ryan relayed an exchange he had with Sherman following a third quarter interception.

"He's mean-mugging like he's always doing and whatever," Ryan said. "It was a ridiculous play, no question. Then he's over on the sideline basically taunting us, so I had some words. I think I said 'You're too good a player to act like an ass.' "

Refs are and have been a joke for a long time. NFL needs full time officiating from the booth. Why the F not??? Belichick is right, every play should be reviewable. They should have a full time crew reviewing plays in real time. That is the solution. It wouldn't slow the game down, it would speed it up. So the morons on the field don't have to have a 5 min discussion on something we can see on tv in 15 seconds. It's a freaking joke.

Not sure why you think Avril was offsides. I just rewatched the play 5 times and I can't see that at all.

someone tweeted he was off sides on the sack before the last play

YardsPerPass.com ‏@YardsPerPass 4m4 minutes ago

Also Woods was shoved off of his route before TT left the pocket...watch the full play again. Don't get me started on Avril being offsides on his sack too

The sequence of plays, and bad reffing, at the end of the first half, should be used as a training device for new referees, about what not to do.

The refs, I think, focused on the fact that Sherman got his hand on the ball, and that eliminated roughing the kicker. But it was still egregious unnecessary roughness.

Then not moving off the ball to let the Bills get set up for the shorter field goal, was shocking.

As for other plays, on Shaq Lawson's sack, the Seahawks' left tackle had his arm around Lawson's neck and chest. Lawson fought through the obvious hold and still made the sack, but geez, what does it take to get a holding call against Seattle in Seattle?

Great job by the Bills run defense. Astoundingly bad job by the Bills DBs, but that's no surprise, since our starters aren't good and the replacements are worse. Gilmore was the guy whom Jimmy Graham vaulted over, heaven forbid Gilmore would try to make a tackle. Darby didn't play well but Rex said Darby was ill, so OK. But the safeties, OMG, how much worse could they be. Wait, don't answer that.

The Bills' O put up a lot of points and a ton of yards and dozens of first downs against Seattle's vaunted D, but they couldn't score every time they had the ball. The Bills' DBs would have given up unlimited yards if it weren't for the DL and LBs getting pressure on Wilson.

Edited by Utah John

If you watch the play, TT is on the edge of the pocket; if he was over or not really isn't the point.

According to the rules that is the point. If TT is outside the pocket then the hit is legal.

Also, you claimed he was a defenseless player. I posted a link to the rule which doesn't support the assertion he was a defenseless player.

Edited by Greg F

According to the rules that is the point. If TT is outside the pocket then the hit is legal.

Also, you claimed he was a defenseless player. I posted a link to the rule which doesn't support the assertion he was a defenseless player.

I find this hard to believe. So you're saying on rollouts, bootlegs, scrambles, etc. as soon as the QB leaves the pocket you can just start blasting WR's? I don't think so

Didn't see the game, watching the DVR now. On the TD to Jimmy Graham (great one-hand catch), there were 4 Seahawks holding. The RB wrapped up Jerel Worthy with a bearhug. The center had a great underhook on Leger (could go to the Olympics wrestling with that move). Fant grabbed the Lorax around the waist just before he creamed RW, and Jerry was getting a facial from the RT. Not a single call in the bunch. Should have been offsetting penalties at the very least.

On Lockett's big return, McCray is blocked in the back, no call. Then we had to waste a challenge on Lockett OB.

OH MY GOD! HTF is that not a PF on Sherman for creaming Carp? And then they have to take Carp off the field? Bills should just run every kicker on 4th down so they can't kick the FG. I can't even talk about the delay of game. They didn't even whistle the play active until there were 2 seconds on the clock! HTF can you call delay of game when the ball isn't even in play???

Jesus Henry, now I'm watching NFL Total Access, and the idiot host is asking Blandino if it would have been more of an issue if it had affected the outcome of the game. DUH, !@#$, WE HAD TO GO FOR A TD INSTEAD OF KICKING THE TYING FG DOUCHEBAG! IT DEFINITELY AFFECTED THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME!

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Anytime one of my buddies would tell me that the NFL was rigged, i would always shake it off and tell them, come on dude with your conspiracy theories.

I know after watching YEARS of Buffalo Bills football games, that the refs actually DO favor the Patriots when we play them (for the majority of the times played), but i still never believed that the whole NFL was rigged.

I'm still not gonna say that it's rigged, but not calling a roughing the kicker when it happened 10 feet away from the ref in his DIRECT line of sight, definitely has me scratching my head. And i shave my head so i have proof that i actually scratched it.

The Rule:

Once the QB leaves the pocket the defenders are free to hit the receivers.

Provided it isn't unnecessary roughness, and well it was...15 yards and a 1st down...

Article 6. Unnecessary Roughness

There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to:

1. unnecessarily running, diving into, cutting, or throwing the body against or on a player who (1) is out of the play or (2) should not have reasonably anticipated such contact by an opponent, before or after the ball is dead;