MLB Playoffs 2016

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two schools of thought on Maddon's managing last night.

1. Do whatever it takes to win. Bring out Chapman with a 5 run lead. Get a 7 run lead and keep Chapman out there, even though he hurt himself in the 8th.

2. Save the bullpen - especially Chapman - with a huge lead.

Personally, I think he over-managed. That game was over after the top of the 1st. Areitta with a 3-run lead is checkmate. If I was the manager (not claiming to be capable of managing a baseball team), I would have left Arietta in for as long as possible. He had a 7-run lead. An Indians comeback - while possible - was very improbable.

Can you imagine if the Cubs had only used Arietta and one reliever last night? It would have made it VERY difficult for Cleveland to compete tonight.

But here we are, the Cubs used 5 pitchers in a rout. The Indians used 6 pitchers, neither of whom named Miller or Allen.

For a lopsided game, the chess element was still very prevalent. I think Francona came out on top, even though they lost the game.

Tonight will be a fun game to watch.

I am predicting that the Cubs will get shutout.

Not a fan of either team but Kluber gives the Tribe a great shot tonight. Also, it seems like the Cubs are much looser and play better on the road in this series. Maybe too much pressure at Wrigley. I'm not a huge follower of MLB but this has been a really fun WS.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Two best words in sport,"Game Seven." The Chapman thing may come back to haunt. I have no horse in this race. On one hand it'd be nice for the long suffering Cub fans, buy that means that attention whore Bill Murray is happy.

OTOH, I'm a big proponent of small ball. I know I'm in the minority but I love shutdown pitching. Long ball may be sexy but small ball seems more authentic to the game. If that makes sense.

Let the chips fall where they may. I'd love extra innings.

Yolo your right about Kluber he is the wildcard in all of this. If the Cubs hitters don't come out hot they could be in trouble. If Kluber has the movement he did in game one this is going to be an Indians victory. I'm pulling for the Cubs but I don't see them winning tonight.

Two best words in sport,"Game Seven." The Chapman thing may come back to haunt. I have no horse in this race. On one hand it'd be nice for the long suffering Cub fans, buy that means that attention whore Bill Murray is happy.

OTOH, I'm a big proponent of small ball. I know I'm in the minority but I love shutdown pitching. Long ball may be sexy but small ball seems more authentic to the game. If that makes sense.

I, too, love small ball. The thought of the DH going to the NL makes me want to cry. NL baseball is so much more cerebral. I love it.

I, too, love small ball. The thought of the DH going to the NL makes me want to cry. NL baseball is so much more cerebral. I love it.

The other day, the idea popped into my mind of how they could work in a lot of strategy if they ever did wind up trying to add in the DH. I haven't really taken the time to think it through too much, so it may be complete crap. But anyway, I thought about tying the DH directly to the pitcher. Once you take the pitcher out of the game, the DH is out too. At that point, you have the choice of either making the pitcher bat or selecting a new DH. You have the same choice at the start too, whether or not you want to let your starting pitcher hit.

But anyway, I can't remember a single deciding game in any sport where I genuinely do not care who wins but yet still want to watch. There's nothing better than just kicking back and enjoying.

The other day, the idea popped into my mind of how they could work in a lot of strategy if they ever did wind up trying to add in the DH. I haven't really taken the time to think it through too much, so it may be complete crap. But anyway, I thought about tying the DH directly to the pitcher. Once you take the pitcher out of the game, the DH is out too. At that point, you have the choice of either making the pitcher bat or selecting a new DH. You have the same choice at the start too, whether or not you want to let your starting pitcher hit.

But anyway, I can't remember a single deciding game in any sport where I genuinely do not care who wins but yet still want to watch. There's nothing better than just kicking back and enjoying.

This has been a great World Series for baseball. Lots of indifferent fans are totally into it. I think it's awesome!

I like the difference between Leagues (AL - DH; NL - Pitchers Hit). I think it makes the World Series that much more interesting. I think uniformity would be bad for the game. if that's what they want, then they should make the dimensions of every ball park identical - like football, basketball, hockey, etc. I don't want that. The differences in the field dimensions and the rules really make home field advantage as real as it gets.

I would be shocked that, within the next 5 or so years, the DH isn't implemented across the board. It will be a sad day for me.

I think my favorite play is getting the guy in from third on a sacrifice fly! Haha

Yolo your right about Kluber he is the wildcard in all of this. If the Cubs hitters don't come out hot they could be in trouble. If Kluber has the movement he did in game one this is going to be an Indians victory. I'm pulling for the Cubs but I don't see them winning tonight.

I have a $100 on the Indians to win the series at +180. It was looking good at 3-1 but now not so much. I was going to hedge my bet tonight thinking with Kluber on the hill & in Cleveland that the Indians were going to be going off tonight at about +160 or so but the game is around even. I hate to say it Tribe fans but this line tells me the cubbies will win tonight.

Edited by Gordio

I have a $100 on the Indians to win the series at +180. It was looking good at 3-1 but now not so much. I was going to hedge my bet tonight thinking with Kluber on the hill & in Cleveland that the Indians were going to be going off tonight at about +160 or so but the game is around even. I hate to say it Tribe fans but this line tells me the cubbies will win tonight.

Not really -- what it says is that Vegas understands there is no statistical advantage when an ace pitches on short rest. Kluber will likely be good but not his "usual" self -- and that means the game is a toss up.

Not really -- what it says is that Vegas understands there is no statistical advantage when an ace pitches on short rest. Kluber will likely be good but not his "usual" self -- and that means the game is a toss up.

It all depends on the ump. If he gets the inside cutter called a strike, like in game 1, he'll be very good. If he doesn't, like in game 2, he'll be effective, but not dominant. Have to love how Tito managed the pen last night, they didn't use their big 3. So 5 good innings from Kluber is all we need, anything more is a bonus. Just sucks that Brantley couldn't get healthy, they could really use his bat in the lineup....GO TRIBE!!!!

Edited by ricojes

It all depends on the ump. If he gets the inside cutter called a strike, like in game 1, he'll be very good. If he doesn't, like in game 2, he'll be effective, but not dominant. Have to love how Tito managed the pen last night, they didn't use their big 3. So 5 good innings from Kluber is all we need, anything more is a bonus. Just sucks that Brantley couldn't get healthy, they could really use his bat in the lineup....GO TRIBE!!!!

Bingo.

This is the perfect example of how stupid it is to award the home field in the WS based on an exhibition game.

Go Native Americans!!

Totally agree. Best way to do it is award home field to which league wins more of the 252 interleague games.