MLB Playoffs 2016

26CornerBlitz

Very fun and entertaining series.

I heard it compared to the 1991 Braves/Twins game 7 and I don't think it's even close.

Last night's game was great, but it wasn't necessarily great baseball (4 total errors; blown save by a fatigued pitcher; crappy starting pitching for CLE). The 1991 game 7 was 0-0 heading into the 10th. And that entire series (which I consider to be the best World Series of my lifetime) was great baseball.

This series will go down as one of the best and rightfully so, in my opinion. Both teams were great. Both great/classy managers. I'm not a fan of the Cubs treating every base hit like they just hit a walkoff home run against the 1927 Yankees, but I get it ... they're young, it's the World Series, it's the Cubs, etc., etc., etc. But all in all, it was a classy series and it was VERY entertaining.

I'm very happy for both organizations and this should solidify Theo Epstein as the best MLB GM/Executive of all time.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I said earlier if Kluber got the inside cutter call (his best pitch), he would be good. but the second pitch of the game was close enough to be strike and called a ball, that set the tone. It changed the whole at bat the pitch calling the rest of the game. I thought the umps behind the plate were absolutely brutal all series, no consistency at all for either team. Rain delay helped the Cubs without a doubt, Indians had all the momentum and the Cubs had a chance to regroup. The 9th is where the Tribe needed to win it. One bad inning in Game 5 or their the champs. Devastated again, this truly sucks.

I said earlier if Kluber got the inside cutter call (his best pitch), he would be good. but the second pitch of the game was close enough to be strike and called a ball, that set the tone. It changed the whole at bat the pitch calling the rest of the game. I thought the umps behind the plate were absolutely brutal all series, no consistency at all for either team. Rain delay helped the Cubs without a doubt, Indians had all the momentum and the Cubs had a chance to regroup. The 9th is where the Tribe needed to win it. One bad inning in Game 5 or their the champs. Devastated again, this truly sucks.

The Ump was squeezing every pitcher for both teams, it seemed. There were a lot of strikes that weren't.

Entertaining game and a fun series all around. I would have been a total basket case last night if I was a fan of either team. It was that kind of game. I was pulling for the Tribe, but since neither one is my team, I just got to sit back and enjoy.

I heard it compared to the 1991 Braves/Twins game 7 and I don't think it's even close.

Last night's game was great, but it wasn't necessarily great baseball (4 total errors; blown save by a fatigued pitcher; crappy starting pitching for CLE). The 1991 game 7 was 0-0 heading into the 10th. And that entire series (which I consider to be the best World Series of my lifetime) was great baseball.

This series will go down as one of the best and rightfully so, in my opinion. Both teams were great. Both great/classy managers. I'm not a fan of the Cubs treating every base hit like they just hit a walkoff home run against the 1927 Yankees, but I get it ... they're young, it's the World Series, it's the Cubs, etc., etc., etc. But all in all, it was a classy series and it was VERY entertaining.

I'm very happy for both organizations and this should solidify Theo Epstein as the best MLB GM/Executive of all time.

Yes, especially the Twins' masterful use of 6 relievers in that game after they pulled Jack Morris in the fourth inning. :rolleyes:

Madden blew it 2x. 1st w early hook on Hendricks, 2nd with the bunt w 2 strikes man on 3rd one out.

Boy he's lucky they won, I thought he coached like an idiot in game 7

Hendricks era 2.12 and you pull him over a walk ?

Told my girl Lester is good but he does get shelled sometime.

Aroldis and Madden got saved with the W.

Is your girl Lester hot?

I am all for celebrating home runs and hate the unwritten rules about "showing a pitcher up" etc. (similarly, I hate the NFL penalizing TD celebrations) - but I couldn't figure out why I was annoyed with Rizzo and the Cubs - but you nailed it. They're celebrating base hits like walk offs!

Is your girl Lester hot?

I am all for celebrating home runs and hate the unwritten rules about "showing a pitcher up" etc. (similarly, I hate the NFL penalizing TD celebrations) - but I couldn't figure out why I was annoyed with Rizzo and the Cubs - but you nailed it. They're celebrating base hits like walk offs!

They are young and their little celebrations seemed to turn the tide in their favor. I'm sure superstition had something to do with them continuing to "punch" their way to a championship. Rizzo was a little over the top but they didn't annoy me.

The 1991 game 7 was 0-0 heading into the 10th. And that entire series (which I consider to be the best World Series of my lifetime) was great baseball.

I'm not a huge baseball guy but that was one of the greatest sporting events I've ever seen in my life. I had no rooting interest and was stuck in a cabin in rural northern Maine with rabbit ears and a 20" B/W that I hardly ever bothered using. I happened to flip it on in the middle of Game2 and within 5 minutes I was hooked and didn't miss an inning after that.

Glad somebody else appreciates how awesome that was......

Now that I had a day to stew, I can put things in better perspective. It really is amazing what The Tribe did in the post season. They lose their best hitter very early in the year, their #2 and #3 both get hurt late in the year and their #4 slices his finger open. And yet they were up in the World Series 3 games to 1! The longer the series went the more it favored the Cubs with the banged up Indians pitching. They really needed that game 5, just couldn't get the timely hits. Still sucks and hurts, but they really had a truly amazing run...GO TRIBE!!!!

For those of you in Cleveland, or who know the landscape, why is it that the Indians had such poor attendance this year (and then were overtaken by Cubs fans pretty much)?

Didn't they have like 7 straight seasons of sellouts in the 90s? I know the star power isn't like those teams, but they obviously had a good team all year.

For those of you in Cleveland, or who know the landscape, why is it that the Indians had such poor attendance this year (and then were overtaken by Cubs fans pretty much)?

Didn't they have like 7 straight seasons of sellouts in the 90s? I know the star power isn't like those teams, but they obviously had a good team all year.

BAD fans! I love the Indians with all my heart, but these idiots trip over themselves to get to clowns games in Dec., but won't bother with a tribe game in mid-May. The Indians are a very functional franchise given the market dynamics of baseball, something that largely doesn't apply to football, and yet the fans only want to talk about the Browns. Even with their epic levels of suckitude.

Those seasons coincided with the Browns no longer in Cleveland. Sad but true.

BAD fans! I love the Indians with all my heart, but these idiots trip over themselves to get to clowns games in Dec., but won't bother with a tribe game in mid-May. The Indians are a very functional franchise given the market dynamics of baseball, something that largely doesn't apply to football, and yet the fans only want to talk about the Browns. Even with their epic levels of suckitude.

Those seasons coincided with the Browns no longer in Cleveland. Sad but true.

Thanks. I had totally forgotten that the Browns being gone coincided with that........I don't even know if I had thought of it at the time - that that's why Jacobs Field was such a hard ticket to get. I thought it was all that talent and the new stadium.......I loved those teams - Omar Vizquel being my favorite one.