MLB Playoffs 2016

26CornerBlitz

No argument about the 3.5. I simply cannot refute that.

I disagree on the 3/6 however.

For example, if the Yankee were x games ahead of The Orioles on September 10 and for the sake of argument the other teams in the division were already eliminated, their magic number would be posted in the standings. The number would decrement by 1 each time either the Yanks won or Orioles lost. So if the number was 20 and the Yanks lost to the Tigers while the O's beat the Sox, it would remain at 20. The next day both teams win, it would be 19.

If the Yankees next 3 game series happened to be against the Orioles and the Yanks won the first game, the number would move from 19 to 17, if they swept, it would end up at 13. It would not start at 16 and go down by one each time the Yanks won, then readjust after the series as the two teams moved on to different opponents. Similarly, if the 20 game magic number ended up being 2 before the final series and that was a Yanks/O's series, everyone would know the Yanks only needed to win one of those games, but the magic number would not be adjusted down to one.

Clearly the Indians need to win 3 more games and there is no way to win a game without the Cubs losing, but by definition, their magic number is 6. The Cubs have a magic number of 8. The real answer is that the way "magic number" is used in baseball, it should never really be used in the playoffs at all, because there are no standings.

Edited by 4merper4mer

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy for both teams. Don't care who wins.

Yeah... I guess you are right. But... Cubs fans are starting to act like douches, like it is expected & deserving they win... MAYBE THEY DO DESERVE (LoL), seeing how it's been since 1908. Their team is stacked, kinda got me thinking like the Blackhawks... That bandwagon got rolling in a brutal, douchy direction too.

Sad part about it, BFLo would act just like it... We'd be just as insufferable too!

I have a gut feeling Cubs will pull it out and win it. Once they get rolling, they are tough!

Kipnis, Santana, and Napoli need to start hitting or this series is done. I haven't watched the Cubs all year, but quickly realizing they have great at bats. Even the chubby kid who was out all year isn't swinging at bad ones. They just don't swing at bad pitches like Toronto did, it's going to be tough for the Tribe with their starting pitching injuries. Need to win 2 out of 3 in Chicago, a tall order, but not impossible. Lets go Tribe!

Pretty dominate last nite. Hope CLE bats can wake up a bit over the weekend - otherwise . . . .

Taking the series back to CHI at 1-1 is probably what both teams would consider to be "successful." Especially CLE. Coming out with a win after facing Lester and Arrieta is realistically the best CLE could have expected, I'd think.

The CHI games could be interesting with the Schwarber situation. He's not defensively great, even when healthy. I'm sure the Cubs want his bat, but he'd be a liability in the field.

I called the Indians in 5, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this go 7 games. Should be fun baseball to watch!

Taking the series back to CHI at 1-1 is probably what both teams would consider to be "successful." Especially CLE. Coming out with a win after facing Lester and Arrieta is realistically the best CLE could have expected, I'd think.

The CHI games could be interesting with the Schwarber situation. He's not defensively great, even when healthy. I'm sure the Cubs want his bat, but he'd be a liability in the field.

I called the Indians in 5, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this go 7 games. Should be fun baseball to watch!

Scwarber isn't cleared to play the field yet, he was only cleared medically to bat. this will probably change of course.

Sweet Jesus... Now that I know you are rooting for The Tribe... I am gonna have to go back and side for The Cubs!

;-) :-P

I think that's a generous take even if he wasn't injured.

I'd be stunned if this series doesn't go back to Cleveland next week.