Tyrod: Regressed?

NoSaint

@BuffRumblings

#BillsMafia, you’re going to want to read @NateGearyWGR’s GIF film breakdown of Tyrod from Week 2.

I feel compelled to begin with mentioning the tremendous job our resident film-room inhabitant Nate Geary did evaluating a handful of Tyrod’s plays from last Thursday’s loss to the Jets.

So glad someone mentioned TT's flat feet in the pocket. Drives me nuts! Gotta be up on the balls of your feet and moving. Ironic form such a mobile QB.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So glad someone mentioned TT's flat feet in the pocket. Drives me nuts! Gotta be up on the balls of your feet and moving. Ironic form such a mobile QB.

I can't stand the hopping in place, ball tapping, and all that other sort of crap he does.

Watch some film of Dan Marino. He was a God of economy of motion.

Now he has the ball, 1 nanosecond later the ball is gone. No body movement expended that wasn't necessary to throw the ball.

I can't stand the hopping in place, ball tapping, and all that other sort of crap he does.

Now he has the ball, 1 nanosecond later the ball is gone. No body movement expended that wasn't necessary to throw the ball.

He looks nervous in the pocket, jumpy, skittish, all of that.

Marino wasn't what I consider flat footed in the pocket. He slid around nicely. And his release was a great equalizer. One in a million.

Not gonna quibble about QB mechanics. Keeping your heels off the ground is good technique. You can do that without hooping around and spazzing out, too.

What I'm noticing around the NFL appears to be possible side effects of limited offseason team activities, reduced practices with pads and teams not playing starters in preseason games. This affects the offenses more with the reduced reps.

There are several teams who usually have potent offenses that aren't clicking yet, like Green Bay and Jacksonville. For the Packers, it seemed the preseason loss of Jordy Nelson affected them as he was their deep threat. He's returned but not quite 100% so that's a factor but Aaron Rodgers is not as sharp and accurate as usual.

For the Jags, the prolific 2015 passing offense led by QB Blake Bortles and receivers Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns has not done much in the 1st 2 games.

Now, for the Bills, they had the issue of Sammy Watkins still recovering from his 2015 injury plus the team's decision to not play Shady McCoy in the preseason games. Tyrod also didn't play a lot in the preseason so with all of these factors, it's not a surprise the offense is not clicking. Add to this the surprisingly poor play of the offensive line, the late and supposed poor play calling and it's really not fair to say that Tyrod has regressed after only 2 games.

He didn't regress he is the exact same he has been since College and that is the problem. (Just like EJ). Here are a couple scouting reports.....

Weaknesses

Does not possess adequate height and too many of his passes are knocked down at the line. Sloppy footwork prevents him from stepping into throws making him an erratic passer. Locks onto receivers and often telegraphs his throws. Struggles breaking down coverage and makes too many ill-advised throws.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tyrod-taylor?id=2495240

Another

Negatives:

While Taylor’s accuracy and pocket poise have really developed over his time at Virginia Tech they are still not on the level of a quality NFL starter in my opinion. Taylor’s size also hinders him as a QB because he will struggle to see over his offensive line in the NFL if he ever becomes a starter, and he doesn’t have a great feel for the pocket to move within it to find throwing lanes. His accuracy was much better this season but he will still miss throws that he should make pretty routinely. His accuracy is just not very consistent on short/intermediate levels. His anticipation isn’t very good either and I have rarely seen him “throw a receiver open” and he doesn’t go through his progressions very well. Instead he will regularly drop his eyes and look at the rush to try to escape the pocket and improvise. That really hurts him because in the NFL he won’t be able to scramble after looking at his first or maybe second read and have a lot of success. Defenses are too fast and he will be bottled up very quickly if he tries to do that. His pocket poise isn’t very good either because while he has definitely learned to stay in the pocket more and wait for routes to develop, etc. his first instinct is still to run when he is in trouble, not to step up to find a throwing lane and deliver the ball downfield. His instincts tell him to scramble, hold onto the ball longer than he should and to try to either get outside the pocket to improvise or to run and pick up yardage with his feet.

https://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/tyrod-taylor-qb-virgina-tech-scouting-report/

ill buy what you are selling bobby ---

with his athleticism and downfield ability, theres a reason he was a day 3 pick. and after years of coaching those things were still an issue through last year.

i think it was a bit much to think a few OTAs and training camp would drastically change those, though i hoped he wouldve been a little sharper. its never a given though.

The videos on the Buffalo Rumblings highlighted my Hotrod pet peeve. He doesn't step INTO the pocket. He drops back, stands there, and then when the Defensive Ends come around, he tries to run around them often getting sacked. I see him do this a lot when there is a clean pocket to step into.

I figured this is what he would be working on in the off season, but evidently not.

• 2 weeks later...

What I'm noticing around the NFL appears to be possible side effects of limited offseason team activities, reduced practices with pads and teams not playing starters in preseason games. This affects the offenses more with the reduced reps.

There are several teams who usually have potent offenses that aren't clicking yet, like Green Bay and Jacksonville. For the Packers, it seemed the preseason loss of Jordy Nelson affected them as he was their deep threat. He's returned but not quite 100% so that's a factor but Aaron Rodgers is not as sharp and accurate as usual.

For the Jags, the prolific 2015 passing offense led by QB Blake Bortles and receivers Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns has not done much in the 1st 2 games.

Now, for the Bills, they had the issue of Sammy Watkins still recovering from his 2015 injury plus the team's decision to not play Shady McCoy in the preseason games. Tyrod also didn't play a lot in the preseason so with all of these factors, it's not a surprise the offense is not clicking. Add to this the surprisingly poor play of the offensive line, the late and supposed poor play calling and it's really not fair to say that Tyrod has regressed after only 2 games.

Thank you.

Nice game TT, you might just make it after all. :)

Yep! Almost broke hightowers ankles on one play did u catch that breh!?

I love the whole "well now NE is going to be pissed!" angle.

Like they weren't going to try to win the game at all costs regardless :lol:

Not picking on you guys; I just think it's silly.

My most sincere hope is that they come in here emotional and upset--that's not when they play their best ball.

The converse is 100% true--we get to play the "they don't respect us" card. Vis-a-vis:

"Oh man, the Bills are gonna be so pissed because everyone's saying that they can't beat NE with Brady...and now they've got Dareus and Lawson back too!"

I love the whole "well now NE is going to be pissed!" angle.

Like they weren't going to try to win the game at all costs regardless :lol:

Not picking on you guys; I just think it's silly.

My most sincere hope is that they come in here emotional and upset--that's not when they play their best ball.

The converse is 100% true--we get to play the "they don't respect us" card. Vis-a-vis:

"Oh man, the Bills are gonna be so pissed because everyone's saying that they can't beat NE with Brady...and now they've got Dareus and Lawson back too!"

Someone said it earlier that everyone was like "the Pats are going to destroy the Bills. It doesn't matter who plays QB, they are killing everybody." The Bills shut them out and it's, "well, they beat a 3rd string QB, big deal."

ill buy what you are selling bobby ---

with his athleticism and downfield ability, theres a reason he was a day 3 pick. and after years of coaching those things were still an issue through last year.

i think it was a bit much to think a few OTAs and training camp would drastically change those, though i hoped he wouldve been a little sharper. its never a given though.

What was the reason Tom Brady was a 3rd day pick?