Everyday expressions that "make your blood boil"

BringBackFergy

"I beg your pardon."

To me it sounds like, "Excuse me sir, but I didn't hear you the first time. I beg of you to pardon my mistake, and hope you find mercy in your heart to repeat yourself so that I may better understand."

still sounds better than "huh"...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any kind of "managerial" expressions, used in casual, informal discussions. Things like "moving forward"

It grates even in a workplace setting, but when it has seeped into a person's private life, I can't help but avoid ever talking to that person again.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Any kind of "managerial" expressions, used in casual, informal discussions. Things like "moving forward"

It grates even in a workplace setting, but when it has seeped into a person's private life, I can't help but avoid ever talking to that person again.

I'm going to need you to go ahead and put a cover page on your TPS reports.

So in other words it creates a paradigm shift in your relationship with that person.

I know what you mean. I had to downsize my brick-and-mortar networking contacts, as they weren't synergisticly empowering my socialization strategy.

"That's unacceptable".

This phrase can be used by a parent if a child behaves a certain way, makes a mess, etc. OK, I get it...they are teaching the child about behavior or expectations.

But I hate it when a person uses "that's unacceptable" because they didn't get their own way. For instance, "Mr Smith, the claim rep hasn't given me an answer yet despite my emails and calls. I know you are hoping to have this wrapped up. I'll keep pestering him and hope to have a response next week." Mr Smith says "These delays are unacceptable".

Ohhhh, sorrryy. But they are reality. I can't break someone's arm to respond quickly. Learn to accept the fact that things don't always go your way Mr Smith.

"Beyond"

That is beyond gross.

I am beyond frustrated.

This is beyond ridiculous.

You know what? Then find another !@#$ing word to describe it. Don't just put "beyond" in front of the same word that doesn't do it for you.