Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brady's post-Ravens game comment paraphrased: "Hogan wasn't the first option on the long TD pass, but he saw what I saw and adjusted his route." Sometimes getting open isn't just about running the right route or being quicker/faster than the DB.

Big deal. Hunter ran wide open down the seam on Sunday vs PIT and good ole Tyrod didn't so much as look his way. Hogans current QB is much better than Tyrod. Bills WRs get open too, they just lack a QB to get them the ball.

No hate. I'm just no fan of any lament over a JAG as if he's some great talent.

I gotta take exception to this. He has been playing great this year: absolutely terrific route running, great blocking, good feet, and sure hands. On an offense with that many weapons, he's not gonna get a ton of catches because he's not a first option. But he's an extremely useful piece, and he has objectively played very, very well.

Big deal. Hunter ran wide open down the seam on Sunday vs PIT and good ole Tyrod didn't so much as look his way. Hogans current QB is much better than Tyrod. Bills WRs get open too, they just lack a QB to get them the ball.

I saw this too. The guys 6'4 and he had his hands up the whole time because nobody was near him and Tyrod never saw him.

If we had retained Hogan, he would have been wasted anyway. He's a good, solid, possession receiver. The kind that we dont really need around here until we have a good QB.

Edited by Captain_Quint

I gotta take exception to this. He has been playing great this year: absolutely terrific route running, great blocking, good feet, and sure hands. On an offense with that many weapons, he's not gonna get a ton of catches because he's not a first option. But he's an extremely useful piece, and he has objectively played very, very well.

He's going to get a ton of touches because he's on a team that throws a lot, with a QB who spreads the ball around and is very accurate. Hogan isn't a bad WR by any means but every single WR who goes to NE (and actually gets on the field regularly) puts up good numbers, almost without exception. Brady makes all those guys look much better than they would in any other offense.

He's going to get a ton of touches because he's on a team that throws a lot, with a QB who spreads the ball around and is very accurate. Hogan isn't a bad WR by any means but every single WR who goes to NE (and actually gets on the field regularly) puts up good numbers, almost without exception. Brady makes all those guys look much better than they would in any other offense.

uhhh. Not so fast. Plenty go there and fail. Plenty go there. Then go to the next team and flourish. Brandon lafell was hated in Carolina. Couldn't do a damn thing in the pass happiest cannon armed offense ever. Aaaaand still killed it more in NE* and now Cinci. Its the players and Brady. They don't all flourish. Many, many fail

I find it surprising that his current performance is a surprise to some (not you). There were a few of us in this board who thought he was a very capable #4 and even a marginal #3 WR talent. As Brady does, he has elevated Hogan's production but it's not like the talent wasn't there. Many here refused to accept that. And those complaining against his price tag, I think it plays into the overall team building strategy. We were left with less to spend on him due to over spend on players like Clay

uhhh. Not so fast. Plenty go there and fail. Plenty go there. Then go to the next team and flourish. Brandon lafell was hated in Carolina. Couldn't do a damn thing in the pass happiest cannon armed offense ever. Aaaaand still killed it more in NE* and now Cinci. Its the players and Brady. They don't all flourish. Many, many fail

Your example is LaFell? A guy who never had more than 49 catches in any year before arriving at the Pats and then proceeds to put up 74 in his first season with NE? His numbers weren't nearly as good his second year as he dealt with a foot injury that kept him out 5 games and hampered him in some others but despite that he still put up numbers that were comparable to his career averages prior to arriving in NE.

I'm guessing there are guys one could bring up to prove it's not everybody, but LaFell isn't one of them.

Edited by MDH

He said Hogan would not have helped. Not "better" WRs.

How do better players not help?

Anyway, on the game deciding play to Hogan (Deadspin):

"Both Brady and Hogan noticed, independently, that the Ravens were in a disguised coverage without a deep safety. Hogan adjusted to a go-route, and Brady knew to look for him, because the play they were running was bound to lure safety Eric Weddle away from the middle of the field. And indeed, the play-action got Weddle wrong-footed, Julian Edelman’s route drew him away from Hogan, and Hogan merely had to outrun safety Matt Elam, who was lined up unusually tight. Brady hit him in stride. Game over."

Yeah, Hogan is a JAG jut running around out there. Bills WR corps is loaded with guys like him. No room for another...

Your example is LaFell? A guy who never had more than 49 catches in any year before arriving at the Pats and then proceeds to put up 74 in his first season with NE? His numbers weren't nearly as good his second year as he dealt with a foot injury that kept him out 5 games and hampered him in some others but despite that he still put up numbers that were comparable to his career averages prior to arriving in NE.

I'm guessing there are guys one could bring up to prove it's not everybody, but LaFell isn't one of them.

There are a bunch of receivers who didn't fare well in NE. Chad Johnson, Jabbar Gaffney, Chad Jackson, Brandon Lloyd, Ben Watson, and Donte Stallworth, to name a few. There are others. LaFell wasn't that good either despite catching a lot of balls a couple of years ago.

Edited by dave mcbride

How do better players not help?

Anyway, on the game deciding play to Hogan (Deadspin):

"Both Brady and Hogan noticed, independently, that the Ravens were in a disguised coverage without a deep safety. Hogan adjusted to a go-route, and Brady knew to look for him, because the play they were running was bound to lure safety Eric Weddle away from the middle of the field. And indeed, the play-action got Weddle wrong-footed, Julian Edelman’s route drew him away from Hogan, and Hogan merely had to outrun safety Matt Elam, who was lined up unusually tight. Brady hit him in stride. Game over."

Yeah, Hogan is a JAG jut running around out there. Bills WR corps is loaded with guys like him. No room for another...

He's nothing special. Suffice it to say the difference is at QB.