Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how the argument has morphed from hogan sucks to, well, TT wouldn't use him anyway

Can't speak for anyone else, but I've never felt that Hogan sucks. Just that he's a decent NFL WR, a guy in the league. You can't keep everyone and some players will fall by the wayside when it comes to contract time. His being on the roster or not has little impact on the team's fortunes . The strange part is Bills fans continuing to follow and even root for a guy who skipped town to play for a hated division rival. The guy is a JAG , and the Bills are just as average without him as they were with him.

I love how the argument has morphed from hogan sucks to, well, TT wouldn't use him anyway

That's why I call it Hogan Derangement Syndrome. The "TT wouldn't use him anyway" is a rather handy device since it can apply to pretty much any rusher/receiver. Remember, this thread was "Sorry, but I'm going to miss Hogan." Note the "Sorry," anticipating the irrational response.

It's not as common an Hogan Obsession syndrome apparently. That's defined as believing that marginal players on the roster are a magic bullet for years of mismanagement, mediocre head coaches , bumbled draft picks , and not having a real NFL caliber quarterback in going on 20 years. This affliction also results in a man crush so strong that the player is still followed and rooted for even when he departs the home team and plays for the enemy. The afflicted lose rationality and believe their beloved player is being " trashed" by those who see them for what they are: Generally , a " guy in the league" that doesn't have the upper echelon talent to be a large factor in a team's success or failure. There currently is no known vaccine or cure for this.

Are we in 3rd grade? We expect a grown man to turn down millions of dollars to play for a winning franchise to stay with his "home team" even though he isn't from anywhere near Buffalo? I understand hating the Patriots organization, and even hating Belichick and Brady. They've been proven to play fast and loose with the rules in a manner that directly impacts their competitors. But a guy who signs with them because they gave him by far a better deal than his "home team?" That says more about the inferiority complex of some fans than it does about the Pats or their players.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

That's why I call it Hogan Derangement Syndrome. The "TT wouldn't use him anyway" is a rather handy device since it can apply to pretty much any rusher/receiver. Remember, this thread was "Sorry, but I'm going to miss Hogan." Note the "Sorry," anticipating the irrational response.

Are we in 3rd grade? We expect a grown man to turn down millions of dollars to play for a winning franchise to stay with his "home team" even though he isn't from anywhere near Buffalo? I understand hating the Patriots organization, and even hating Belichick and Brady. They've been proven to play fast and loose with the rules in a manner that directly impacts their competitors. But a guy who signs with them because they gave him by far a better deal than his "home team?" That says more about the inferiority complex of some fans than it does about the Pats or their players.

Why would the TT never use him theory apply to running backs? You lost me right there.

That's why I call it Hogan Derangement Syndrome. Remember, this thread was "Sorry, but I'm going to miss Hogan." Note the "Sorry," anticipating the irrational response.

Slow down there , where did I say anything regarding expectations of Hogan and his business decisions? Of course he will take the contract, the NFL is a business . Good for him, but see ya later. The curiosity of the situation is Bills fans continuing to root for a departed marginal player playing for a hated rival. That's a far greater indication of some inferiority complex than the ability to just say " that's the business" and root for the next Bills WR to succeed. The guy wasn't even a beloved longtime star player, so it's even more unusual.

I wonder, why would the pats* give a JAG that contract? Why wouldn't they just go out and pick up a Hunter or Salas or Da'rick?

Being a JAG would be an upgrade from what many here thought of him during his time here. There are many threads on it. I, for one, was annoyed by the conversation and thought he was just underutilized.

Slow down there , where did I say anything regarding expectations of Hogan and his business decisions? Of course he will take the contract, the NFL is a business . Good for him, but see ya later. The curiosity of the situation is Bills fans continuing to root for a departed marginal player playing for a hated rival. That's a far greater indication of some inferiority complex than the ability to just say " that's the business" and root for the next Bills WR to succeed. The guy wasn't even a beloved longtime star player, so it's even more unusual.

I'm certainly not rooting for him, and other than the guy who said he's on his fantasy team I don't know any Bills fan who is. But as long as it isn't impacting the Bills (and it really isn't anymore), I actually do like to see him doing well. I also liked watching Marshawn Lynch bulldoze his way through defenses, and Ryan Fitzpatrick have (occasional) good games, again, when it wasn't directly impacting the Bills ... I just don't see why we can't agree that Hogan was a good receiver, give the Bills organization some all-to-rare credit for developing the former lacrosse player into a very solid NFL receiver, and also feel a little sorry that we weren't able to hang onto him a bit longer. That's all ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I wonder, why would the pats* give a JAG that contract? Why wouldn't they just go out and pick up a Hunter or Salas or Da'rick?

Being a JAG would be an upgrade from what many here thought of him during his time here. There are many threads on it. I, for one, was annoyed by the conversation and thought he was just underutilized.

Because those guys probably wouldn't fit the offense as well. Da'rick certainly wouldn't comprehend the complex Pats offense. Hogan is JAG in any other offense including ours. He understands their offense just well enough to work with Brady to make an impact. That impact being 32 receptions this season. People are acting like he has 80 receptions. A guy who has 32 receptions with a hall of fame QB isn't going to do that well or better somewhere else.

I think Hogan had potential as blocking WR, as move the chains WR and as a special teamer and thought the Bills should have protected their interest more. I watched the MNF game and he was not JAG. He is a very physical WR and was whipping dog for many posters so it is no surprise that his achievements are discounted by them.

His skill set fits the Pats offense very well. The contract was more than the Bills were willing to pay, but didn't break the bank. All Bills WRs from Watkins on down are underutilized and will continue to be until a good QB is found.

Because those guys probably wouldn't fit the offense as well. Da'rick certainly wouldn't comprehend the complex Pats offense. Hogan is JAG in any other offense including ours. He understands their offense just well enough to work with Brady to make an impact. That impact being 32 receptions this season. People are acting like he has 80 receptions. A guy who has 32 receptions with a hall of fame QB isn't going to do that well or better somewhere else.

Exactly. Hogan was a " whipping boy" here only when he made mistakes . His production with the Pats is about what I thought it would be or perhaps even less. Maybe due to Brady missing 4 games, who knows?

I understand your points. I can see your prospective if I look at it from the point of us relying on Goodwin and Listenbee. It's not so much that we needed Hogan, but we needed better than what we have. Listenbee and Goodwin are "Al Davis" type receivers. They are guys with speed who have little else to offer. They are not well rounded receivers that anyone should have counted on.

its perspective

I understand your points. I can see your prospective if I look at it from the point of us relying on Goodwin and Listenbee. It's not so much that we needed Hogan, but we needed better than what we have. Listenbee and Goodwin are "Al Davis" type receivers. They are guys with speed who have little else to offer. They are not well rounded receivers that anyone should have counted on.

its perspective

I'm curious about the origin of these lofty WR expectations.

Walker had over 100 catches, and 1200 yards and 12 TDs in roughly a season and a half with Denver, including a career 10 TDs in one season. And another 160 + TD in the playoffs....

So by all means, please find our team some of these underachieving WRs because they are way out achieving our double first, second and third round WRs.

I also had the Thomas's catching balls around him, as well as others. Manning s pread the ball around far more than Brady did whilst with the broncos Edited by Boyst62

I personally never said that he sucks. I said that he's average, and wouldn't make us a better football team. Many others have shared the same sentiment.

Hogan looks completely different this year. Like roads different. His face looks different.

I did say he sucked... It was true at the time... Not so much, anymore... Testimony to superior coaching if you ask me... Sanjay Lal is a joke, and we all know about Greg Roman.... Congrats to Chris... I hope he keeps getting better.

I did say he sucked... It was true at the time... Not so much, anymore... Testimony to superior coaching if you ask me... Sanjay Lal is a joke, and we all know about Greg Roman.... Congrats to Chris... I hope he keeps getting better.

Autocorrect put in the word roads where I typed R O I DS

Edited by 4merper4mer

• 3 weeks later...

He's a good receiver, but good receivers can be easily replaced, it's the great ones you need to keep...

You know, I read that all the time here, and maybe it's so.

If it is so, all I can say is that I wish the Bills would get a move on with replacing the easily-replaced good WR 'cuz we seem to have a deficit.

Ditto on the easily replaced good TE.

Chris Hogan ended up leading the NFL in ypc with 17.9 on 38 receptions. He also had a very high catch rate of 65.5 percent -- high, that is, for a deep threat. They tend to have lower catch rates. He had a good season.

Meh. Middle of the road. He would have helped us a little this year, but you could say that about 85% of the receivers in the NFL. When you have Powell, Percy, and Hunter running around out there, anyone would have helped.

However, Hogan is just a middle of the road role player, that fits in with NE.

Not a big deal with or without him.

Meh. Middle of the road. He would have helped us a little this year, but you could say that about 85% of the receivers in the NFL. When you have Powell, Percy, and Hunter running around out there, anyone would have helped.

However, Hogan is just a middle of the road role player, that fits in with NE.

Not a big deal with or without him.

Exactly