Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirby, I gotta tell ya: he's a pretty good player, and he would have made this team better. He's not a true difference maker, but he's now a truly solid NFL player.

Especially considering HE ONLY WOULD'VE COST A SECOND-ROUND TENDER. This is an insane discussion - it's a no-brainer that they assigned the wrong tender to him and needlessly lost a player who could've helped this year.

Kirby, I gotta tell ya: he's a pretty good player, and he would have made this team better. He's not a true difference maker, but he's now a truly solid NFL player.

He is a solid NFL player. He finished 117th in the NFL in catches and 61st in yards and had 4 TDs. He's just a guy. Those numbers are not hard to replace. He made some big plays but is the absolute definition of just a guy. In fact, I had a bet here and he was well under in catches and in yards. In fact, I think someone owes me a Bills hat (and I'm not sure who). Hogan is a guy that isn't difficult to replace.

Especially considering HE ONLY WOULD'VE COST A SECOND-ROUND TENDER. This is an insane discussion - it's a no-brainer that they assigned the wrong tender to him and needlessly lost a player who could've helped this year.

I don't disagree with this at all.

He's very likely to be benched in place of Michael Floyd.

Amendola is out. He'll play. The Pats don't really roll that way anyway - it's all packages, and Brady divvies up the ball a ton. So being "benched" isn't really the right way to think about it. Outside of Gronk, Welker/Edelman, and Moss for one season, none of his WRs/TEs have really ever put up monster numbers. Hogan will see time.

He is a solid NFL player. He finished 117th in the NFL in catches and 61st in yards and had 4 TDs. He's just a guy. Those numbers are not hard to replace. He made some big plays but is the absolute definition of just a guy. In fact, I had a bet here and he was well under in catches and in yards. In fact, I think someone owes me a Bills hat (and I'm not sure who). Hogan is a guy that isn't difficult to replace.

I don't disagree with this at all.

I owe you a hat, but the bet was for Woods.

I owe you a hat, but the bet was for Woods.

Ha ha, I totally forgot. He's just a guy too (unfortunately because I love how hard he plays). He just doesn't have a skill that differentiates himself other than blocking.

If anything, I was fair to Hogan in this thread!! I predicted more than he did. He didn't magically become a HOFer because Brady threw him the ball. He is the same guy that he was here, a decent NFL WR.

Ha ha, I totally forgot. He's just a guy too (unfortunately because I love how hard he plays). He just doesn't have a skill that differentiates himself other than blocking.

If anything, I was fair to Hogan in this thread!! I predicted more than he did. He didn't magically become a HOFer because Brady threw him the ball. He is the same guy that he was here, a decent NFL WR.

Oh come on! You're not being entirely fair. leading the league in ypc and having a high catch rate to boot isn't JAG-ish. He was a valuable piece for them albeit not a centerpiece.

Edited by dave mcbride

Oh come on! You're not being entirely fair. leading the league in ypc and having a high catch rate to boot isn't JAG-ish. He was a valuable piece for them albeit not a centerpiece.

He made some big plays. If you go back and read what I wrote throughout the thread it held true (except he had less catches, yards and TDs than I thought with a higher YPC). In addition, they signed Floyd and my guy Malcolm Mitchell looks like a player. If anything he's a role player whose role will diminish with those guys around. Mitchell will become their big play guy IMO. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Yep which is exactly why in years past Kirby used to argue for Goodwin over him. "Hogan isn't going to give you the big plays"... well guess what - he does.

The guy is a bona fide good player. A solid starter on a playoff team. The people who were on him here for 3 seasons because he wasn't 6ft3 and didn't have 4.3 speed miss what he is good at - doing his job. Perfect fit in New England.

do you think he suddenly became a premier deep threat?

or a guy that had a relatively pedestrian season with limited touches but 1-2 deep balls really skewing his average (like that open 80 yarder that increased his YPC by about 2 yards by itself).

he was an ok player. we wouldve been better with him and should have tendered him at the slightly higher pay rate (seemed like a no brainer and i think a poor decision by the front office if they didnt have another viable plan) but honestly he wouldnt have changed much and would have been out the door now.

do you think he suddenly became a premier deep threat?

or a guy that had a relatively pedestrian season with limited touches but 1-2 deep balls really skewing his average (like that open 80 yarder that increased his YPC by about 2 yards by itself).

he was an ok player. we wouldve been better with him and should have tendered him at the slightly higher pay rate (seemed like a no brainer and i think a poor decision by the front office if they didnt have another viable plan) but honestly he wouldnt have changed much and would have been out the door now.

It was more than one play. He averaged at least 15 ypc in every month except January (he had 4 catches for 27 yards vs Miami). http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/14402/chris-hogan

Yep which is exactly why in years past Kirby used to argue for Goodwin over him. "Hogan isn't going to give you the big plays"... well guess what - he does.

The guy is a bona fide good player. A solid starter on a playoff team. The people who were on him here for 3 seasons because he wasn't 6ft3 and didn't have 4.3 speed miss what he is good at - doing his job. Perfect fit in New England.

the dude is 6'1 and does have good measurables all around (including speed)

the problem was that he didnt play up to those measurables.

You don't think he's any good? He looked good to me this year - very few drops and excellent route running in pretty much every game I watched (which was a bunch).

I think he's a plug in replacement level talent. Not terrible or great. Plenty of NFL WRs could do okay in the NE passing game with Brady running the show.

I think he's a plug in replacement level talent. Not terrible or great. Plenty of NFL WRs could do okay in the NE passing game with Brady running the show.

Plenty of receivers look bad in that system because of poor route running. They prioritize that, and he's good at it. Credit where credit is due.

It was more than one play. He averaged at least 15 ypc in every month except January (he had 4 catches for 27 yards vs Miami). http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/14402/chris-hogan

im by no means trying to knock him down, and not trying to pull the "hes not good as long as you discount all his big plays"

but with a guy with such limited touches, it can skew quick. looking at those stats it was actually like 3 instead of my offered 1-2. its just not as impressive as a guy that is the focal point and getting more touches (like desean jackson who he was tied with) or even a julio jones that saw a lower YPC but many more touches.

hes a solid role player. theres no shame in that. kirby and i both agree with you that they should have tendered him higher. at this point i dont even know what semantic the argument is over.