Early prediction -- RBs on final 53

eball

I have a sneaking suspicion J. Williams is not going to make the final 53. So far no glowing reports out of camp -- last year everyone was talking about Fat Karlos from the outset. Rex just mentioned they're not giving up on FK, so JWill is on the hot seat. Wilder has been getting good reviews, and Gillislee has his resume from last season. Bush looked remarkably nimble last night.

Shady, Bush, Fat Karlos, Wilder would be my early prediction for the final RBs on the roster, with Felton as the FB.

I have a sneaking suspicion J. Williams is not going to make the final 53. So far no glowing reports out of camp -- last year everyone was talking about Fat Karlos from the outset. Rex just mentioned they're not giving up on FK, so JWill is on the hot seat. Wilder has been getting good reviews, and Gillislee has his resume from last season. Bush looked remarkably nimble last night.

Shady, Bush, Fat Karlos, Wilder would be my early prediction for the final RBs on the roster, with Felton as the FB.

Fully agree.

Bush's running style backs up Shady, not Karlos. I think Gillislee was just made the odd man out of that trio. Herron's as good as gone.

Wilder has the hefty, punishing style of Karlos and could get us to Game 5 if necessary.

Karlos will not be on the final 53 as he is suspended. Wilder, bush & shady, J Williams probably. J Williams to practice squad once karlos is back.

Good point -- suspensions don't occupy a roster spot, but I'd guess they'll keep Gillislee until W5 then. JWill just hasn't done anything, besides get himself arrested.

Jonathan Williams was reportedly very impressive during minicamp and OTAs, so that should be considered.

I think you're looking at McCoy/Bush/Gilislee/J-Will on the active roster, with Karlos on the RES/SUS and Wilder on the PS.

Depending upon how Reggie looks and the state of injuries, Karlos' return will coincide with Gilislee being shown the door or someone going to IR.

I think we will know a lot more about the RBs in the preseason games. I remember watching Karlos in that first preseason game last year and thinking - damn. We've been missing that kind of guy.

Yes, but there was a buzz about Karlos from Day 1 of camp. OTAs are pretty meaningless.

JWill is getting no camp buzz whatsoever.

I'm thinking we might carry 5 RBs, which is kind of crazy talk... but Bush could be the sort of guy they go to out of the passing game more than running game, possibly taking up a spot that might have normally been for a WR.

I'm probably nuts :D

Ok, just saw this from Vic, so maybe JWill isn't a dud...

> Through all of the Bush mania, Jonathan Williams was able to remind people that the Bills still have some good, young depth at running back with an impressive run. Williams shows good body lean and vision. For a rookie, he seems to consistently hit the right hole and is patient with his blocks.

Wasn't impressed with Wilder on Monday. He just has this awkward running style, and doesn't look very quick. He seems to run too "upright" kinda like Dickerson or George, but without being nearly as talented as Dickerson or George.

JWill had one nice carry that I saw during 11:11's. He ran off tackle, set up his blocks well, and hit the hole quickly for a nice gain. Other than that, I didn't even notice him out there.

Given how thin they were last year at RB, I do think he'll make the final 53. The real question is what they do when Karlos comes back in week 5. Is he still out of shape or ready to play? How does Williams look in the meantime. I've read a lot that says he's been impressive in OTA's, so it's not out of the question that they go with 5 RB's plus Felton.

Given how thin they were last year at RB, I do think he'll make the final 53. The real question is what they do when Karlos comes back in week 5. Is he still out of shape or ready to play? How does Williams look in the meantime. I've read a lot that says he's been impressive in OTA's, so it's not out of the question that they go with 5 RB's plus Felton.

imo, by week 5 at least one RB will be hurt and be inactive, paving the way for Karlos. No way all of our RBs stay healthy week in and week out. I can see it being a constant shuffle and we will be very glad we have as many as we do. Edited by YoloinOhio

Jonathan Williams was reportedly very impressive during minicamp and OTAs, so that should be considered.

I think you're looking at McCoy/Bush/Gilislee/J-Will on the active roster, with Karlos on the RES/SUS and Wilder on the PS.

Depending upon how Reggie looks and the state of injuries, Karlos' return will coincide with Gilislee being shown the door or someone going to IR.

I am not sure Wilder has any PS eligibility left. He seems to think not based on his comments. He has two full years there already. If so, I agree he is a good candidate. I agree that JW makes the roster before Gilislee.

imo, by week 5 at least one RB will be hurt and be inactive, paving the way for Karlos. No way all of our RBs stay healthy week in and week out. I can see it being a constant shuffle and we will be very glad we have as many as we do.

Can't really disagree with this logic. Last year, we would have killed to have another productive back after Gillislee

To me its a little early even though we are into training camp.

I think that once the hitting starts....J. Williams is going to shine through because the guy is a flat out talent who has the size, vision, and balance that makes OC's salivate.

He may well end up going to the practice squad because of sheer numbers......or they may just decide that someone like Karlos Williams is just not worth the headache he seems to bring.

I know that Rex is saying all the right things....but this team HAS to be PO'd at the self entitlement Karlos seems to have....he isnt even the main back on this team.

Bush is a rental.....he may stick after this year because the price is right......Karlos is a unknown.....Shady is the man but is getting older and expensive....Gilsalee is under rated....but to me J. Williams is the future.

Shady is the #1. His backup will be Bush,

Karlos will be the #2 if he comes in ready and in shape Week 5. His backup will be JWilliams, who is outplaying Wilder at this point.

I don't think Gillislee or Herron make the team.

touchdown Mikey Gillislee

25 years old

5'11 220lbs with breakaway speed

worked hard in the offseason, showed up at camp in shape.

team player. can pass protect. 5.7 yard average on 47 carries.

Enough about Reggie Bush being Shady's backup, or Karlos the Koncussion and Krepes King, there is no freakin' way we let TD Mike go. No way.

25 years old

Enough about Reggie Bush being Shady's backup, or Karlos the Koncussion and Krepes King, there is no freakin' way we let TD Mike go. No way.

Mike had his moments

I am concerned that he didnt turn it into more when he got a increased amount of carries.

25 years old

I would like to think you're right, especially from an age standpoint. Bush's best days are behind him.

I hope it's a fair fight in preseason. He's battling a Ferrari (or at least a DeLorean).

Its always a good thing when cuts are tough.....always a good thing for the team

yeah. In the end, I don't think they want to get rid of any of the 5. Karlos and JWill are the future of this teams running game. But with Karlos' issues right now they might cut bait and walk away.

Numerous concussions, a weight problem, drug issues now, and concerns dating back to college to boot.

I just felt like they were worried about all this when they drafted a guy who is almost a spitting image of him in JWill.

yeah. In the end, I don't think they want to get rid of any of the 5. Karlos and JWill are the future of this teams running game. But with Karlos' issues right now they might cut bait and walk away.

Numerous concussions, a weight problem, drug issues now, and concerns dating back to college to boot.

I just felt like they were worried about all this when they drafted a guy who is almost a spitting image of him in JWill.

I cannot express how dissapointed I am in Karlos Williams

This was a late round drafted player who had concerns coming out of college that the bills took a chance on.....and Karlos just doesnt seem to get it

but....the sad part is......this happens a lot to professional athletes.....and by the time the light goes on they are talking about it at whatever 9-5 job they have when their careers are over.

Karlos has a lot of talent....and he could carve out a productive NFL career if the light bulb would turn on

Good topic.

L. McCoy - He's a given.

K. Williams - He's out for Game #1 through Game #4, but I expect him to be on the roster after that. He made a mistake and he's paying for it. Let's not forget that he's a very good ST player as well as a potential stud RB. He did have 9 TDs last year.

R. Bush - He was signed to add some juice to the punt return and kick return game, but gives us another very versatile RB who can get to the edge and who can be an excellent outlet in the passing game. He doesn't need to gain 1,000 yds from scrimmage to have a big impact on offense. He can back up McCoy with very little drop off. Roman could also deploy both McCoy and Bush at the same time.

If he can stay healthy he becomes the #1 backup to McCoy.

M. Gillislee - I love what this guy did towards the end of last season. He looked like an every down back. He has the speed, moves, and vision to take it to the house on any play. I can see him returning kicks and providing excellent depth for the RB corps.

J. Williams - He's just a rook, but he's a very talented one at that. Watch his highlight film at Arkansas. This guy was a steal in R5. I read reports that he could have been drafted as high as R2, but teams shied away from him because he missed all of last year. Because he's so young and talented the Bills are not going to give up on him easily.

I see the Bills keeping McCoy/Bush/Gillislee/J. Williams at RB plus Felton at RB. They may end up keeping one less TE or WR as a result.

After Game #4 it will be interesting to see what kind of shape K. Williams is in and how well the other four RBs mentioned above are playing at that point.

There is no way to predict this now. Shoot someone could go down with injury before or during the start of preseason games. Bush is a known commodity at returning kicks but he's still got to prove it to make the team. Other factors will play in also such as which of these guys can produce on special teams. Guys that don't do more than rush are who are likely to be cut. Gotta have blocking skills as a RB too. I just hope Bush doesn't go down with an injury and the Bills a stuck footing the bill for him before he even has a chance to contribute.

I'm thinking we might carry 5 RBs, which is kind of crazy talk... but Bush could be the sort of guy they go to out of the passing game more than running game, possibly taking up a spot that might have normally been for a WR.

We carried two kickers last season who couldn't kick. That was nuts.

If they only keep 1 kicker then 5 rbs is not nuts.

Shady

KW after suspension

Gilli

JWill

WilderJR

Bush can't beat out Powell on PR, gets cut on last cuts. Herron is a camp body, season injury replacement if needed.

Interesting take re: Bush/Powell. I could totally see Reggie getting cut in favor of Powell who, IMO, has really looked good. I guess it may come down to who is the better punt returner.

Assuming all 5 RBs are healthy when Karlos returns, I think it will be 5 RBs plus Bush... Not 5 including Bush. Bush can take the roster spot they designated for the PR last year (Marcus Thigpen, Denarius Moore). That's if PS isn't an option for a guy like Wilder.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Even though Bush is a RB, I think Roman and Whaley think of him as replacing Harvin in the Bills offense they envisioned last year. A return man, a slot guy, a reverse guy, a jack of all trades. That's why yesterday they all spoke about him being used wide and in the same package as Shady, etc.

With that in mind, I think we start the season with Shady, Bush, Gillisee, and JWill, with Wilder released and hopefully on the PS. When Karlos gets back after game four, I can see Gillissee or maybe Bush if he doesn't produce, being the odd man out.